What "Mind Candy" do you like?
When I need to just let my eyes drift down the page, only wanting to find out what happens next I read "mind candy"

I enjoy Elmore Leonard. Would suggest "Kill Shot".

Carl Hassisan (But can only read three a year). Crazy as a loon but more fun than two clowns a midget and a monkey.

Janet Evanovich (You only think it's chic lit. She is great) Start with "One For the Money" from your used book store. I admit that after reading four, I gave it up. Still, she is clever like you can't believe, and is the queen of one liners.

Ken Follett. Writes lots of simple stuff that is fun, but "Pillars of The Earth" was serious and magnificent.

Tired quickly of Tom Clancy, but enjoyed his first several books.

Would rather read a religious tract than Stephen King.

Walter Mosley started well, but is getting sloppy (IMHO).

Anne Rule if you can stand the heat. Or blood.

So, do we all need mind candy? I do. I've about to launch into some of the late David Foster Wallace essays. No mind candy there.

I'd be thankful if some of you could list some "mind candy" you enjoy.
(06-25-2011, 09:48 PM)Wonky Wrote: When I need to just let my eyes drift down the page, only wanting to find out what happens next I read "mind candy"

Carl Hassisan (But can only read three a year). Crazy as a loon but more fun than two clowns a midget and a monkey.

Janet Evanovich (You only think it's chic lit. She is great) Start with "One For the Money" from your used book store. I admit that after reading four, I gave it up. Still, she is clever like you can't believe, and is the queen of one liners.

Ken Follett. Writes lots of simple stuff that is fun, but "Pillars of The Earth" was serious and magnificent.

So, do we all need mind candy? I do. I've about to launch into some of the late David Foster Wallace essays. No mind candy there.

I used to love Stephen King but starting with "It" he got to weird for me. The earlier Tom Clancy's are great.

Janet Evonovich is truly mind numbing mind candy. Very good for a quick read over a weekend though.

I really enjoy the early John Grisham before he began repeating himself. Another great fiction novelist is Nelson DeMille. I love everything he writes as well as Greg Iles. Somewhat similar to Tom Clancey is Vince Flynn.
(06-26-2011, 01:16 AM)Snowlover Wrote:
(06-25-2011, 09:48 PM)Wonky Wrote: When I need to just let my eyes drift down the page, only wanting to find out what happens next I read "mind candy"

I used to love Stephen King but starting with "It" he got to weird for me. The earlier Tom Clancy's are great.

Janet Evonovich is truly mind numbing mind candy. Very good for a quick read over a weekend though.

I really enjoy the early John Grisham before he began repeating himself. Another great fiction novelist is Nelson DeMille. I love everything he writes as well as Greg Iles. Somewhat similar to Tom Clancey is Vince Flynn.

I neglected to include Grisham. And I totally agree, he (often) tells the same story only adding new characters and locations. (By the way, he wrote a non-fiction book that keep me turning pages! "An Innocent Man". I recommend it)

The only Stephen King story I admired was "Misery". But, admit to not having read many of his works. After "The Stand", I gave up unless someone brow beat me into reading him. (That happened with "Misery". By the way, many think "Misery" was a metaphor about the pain of writing....who knows?)
If you are into King, Koontz, etc., you have to try Lisa Jackson...just started reading her books lately and she has me hooked!
(06-26-2011, 08:42 AM)Wonky Wrote:
(06-26-2011, 01:16 AM)Snowlover Wrote:

I neglected to include Grisham. And I totally agree, he (often) tells the same story only adding new characters and locations. (By the way, he wrote a non-fiction book that keep me turning pages! "An Innocent Man". I recommend it)

The only Stephen King story I admired was "Misery". But, admit to not having read many of his works. After "The Stand", I gave up unless someone brow beat me into reading him. (That happened with "Misery". By the way, many think "Misery" was a metaphor about the pain of writing....who knows?)

Misery and The Stand were two of his best. There was another one I really enjoyed but I think it was a short story. Just remembered it was called Thinner. The short story was about a mysterious fog and a bunch of people stuck in a grocery store to wait it out.
(06-26-2011, 09:48 AM)broadzilla Wrote: If you are into King, Koontz, etc., you have to try Lisa Jackson...just started reading her books lately and she has me hooked!

BZ, I know you are well read and read the above for fun and pleasure.

I'm wondering: What should be on our "must read" list if we want to be informed citizens, good parents, etc.

A few years ago, E.D Hirsch Jr. attempted to answer this with, "Cultural Literacy: What Every American Needs to Know". I read it, and while I wondered about many of his choices, I embrace his general thesis.

I'd guess it's important that we all have at least a basic knowledge of our country's history. Thomas Paine's "Common Sense, Age of Reason, and Rights of man" should be in everyone's library I'd think. Understanding the importance of Lincoln and his time may be critical to our understanding of our past. Some believe that we must understand the First World War to understand the military actions of the past 100 years.

Contemporary writers often allow us insights into our world. The value of art, after all. We know that "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" was not really the story of Randell P. McMurphy, but a wider examination of the power of institutions over the individual, if one makes bad choices.
John Updike's "Rabbit series" may have been a reminder of Thoreau's dread of lives of quite desperation, and a warning of the consequences.
Hemmingway's "The Old Man and The Sea" teaches us the value of a wider view of life, that we will often loose that which we most covet.

And so on.

So, what about "that other list"?

I learned that to stay dry I needed to say out of the rain.
I learned, vicariously, from Wally Lamb, that life can be full of pain and disappointment, but we are genetically equipped to survive, and prosper, if we are willing to struggle.
"Housekeeping", Marilynne Robinson's story of choices, and the lack of options, was a teacher in the binding.
You, of course have different teachers.

What of those who remain one dimensional? What about the vote that nullifies your own, cast by someone who has never heard of the "Federalist Papers"? You may be thinking, "so much elitist bullshit".
Really?
I'm an example. Graduated High School with a lousy education, screwing up the early part of my life so that higher education (even had I qualified) was impossible, and going into my early 20's with only skills enough to dig ditches (literally), I embraced reading and by midlife was only ignorant and no longer stupid. I never achieved any level of self education that made me "a scholar". Not even close. And elitist I'm not!

But I do consider myself a responsible citizen, informed enough to make reasonable decisions about social and political life, and while I may not be of any real service I'm also not a burden to the society in which I live.

Mind candy is good. It keeps us reading down the center of the page.

We all need to do some serious reading. Serious, defined by one's own terms. Mine, suggested above, are not a guide to anything. It is just what worked for me.

This forum is a community of, among other things, citizens. Who vote. Who influence the lives of others.

Mind candy won't guide us past the dangers of bad choices.

That's just a down home fact. Like getting out of the rain.

I've read just about every book there is on Bipolar Disorder and Autism (more specifically Asperger's Syndrome), and Down Syndrome. A lot of them about educational strategies. Some about Cognitive Behaviorally Therapy and the like.
It would take me a very long time to list them all, and they are not pertinent to everyone's lives.

Lately, I have just been enjoying reading fun books...as the kids are doing quite well and actually let me read during daylight hours now. Smiling
(06-26-2011, 09:48 AM)broadzilla Wrote: If you are into King, Koontz, etc., you have to try Lisa Jackson...just started reading her books lately and she has me hooked!

Thanks for the tip..I'll look for her!

I read all kinds of crime dramas, suspense stuff.
I love Patricia Cornwell, Kay Scarpetta fascinates me. I wouldn't even want to go to a morgue in person, but I find forensic science fascinating.

I was thinking cocaine was a good answer till I realized you wuz talking about books.

I red the "old man and the ocean" oncet an also "the sun also sets" and uh "One flew over a mockingbird" .And Gorge or wells Farm animals, I was gonna raise pigs.

Plus I red "The Profit" by kayhill Gaiberish or whatever.. although I Never made a dime after I red it until I solid it on ebay
I was just reading about one of the hackers they arrested in the UK that has Asperger's Syndrome. I've always been fascinated by brilliantly deranged people.

(06-26-2011, 12:55 PM)broadzilla Wrote: I've read just about every book there is on Bipolar Disorder and Autism (more specifically Asperger's Syndrome), and Down Syndrome. A lot of them about educational strategies. Some about Cognitive Behaviorally Therapy and the like.
It would take me a very long time to list them all, and they are not pertinent to everyone's lives.

Lately, I have just been enjoying reading fun books...as the kids are doing quite well and actually let me read during daylight hours now. Smiling

I have had a love of books and reading since I was 12. Funny thing is I haven't read a book in a year. The day I started dialysis. I can't concentrate on a book. Weird.
Last book I read was Pet Cemetery... I think that was some time around 1985ish. I have started to read other books, but they didn't hold my interest so I never finished them.
I would like a Kindle more than...hmmm...a new food processer.
I would like a Kindle more than...hmmm...a KitchenAid stand mixer.

They're going down in price, too.
Maybe I'll drop the hint to my sons on the upcoming camping trip! Wink
(06-25-2011, 09:48 PM)Wonky Wrote: Ken Follett. Writes lots of simple stuff that is fun, but "Pillars of The Earth" was serious and magnificent.

The best novel I've ever read. Epic!

(06-26-2011, 06:34 PM)GoCometsGo Wrote:
(06-25-2011, 09:48 PM)Wonky Wrote: Ken Follett. Writes lots of simple stuff that is fun, but "Pillars of The Earth" was serious and magnificent.

The best novel I've ever read. Epic!

We are kindred spirits! I was sad when I got to the last couple of pages. So when "World Without End" came out I was excited. Read the first four chapters and lost interest. I think he tried to capture an audience from "Pillars". Not in my opinion, and I lost some respect for his writing. But, only my opinion.

(06-26-2011, 02:19 PM)tvguy Wrote: I was thinking cocaine was a good answer till I realized you wuz talking about books.

I red the "old man and the ocean" oncet an also "the sun also sets" and uh "One flew over a mockingbird" .And Gorge or wells Farm animals, I was gonna raise pigs.

Plus I red "The Profit" by kayhill Gaiberish or whatever.. although I Never made a dime after I red it until I solid it on ebay

LaughingLaughingLaughingYou know of course, that you are seriously deranged! Funny as hell, but off your nut.
(06-26-2011, 06:55 PM)Wonky Wrote:
(06-26-2011, 02:19 PM)tvguy Wrote: I was thinking cocaine was a good answer till I realized you wuz talking about books.

LaughingLaughingLaughingYou know of course, that you are seriously deranged! Funny as hell, but off your nut.

No, we who are.... don't know it.
(06-26-2011, 05:17 PM)Crone Wrote: I would like a Kindle more than...hmmm...a new food processer.
I would like a Kindle more than...hmmm...a KitchenAid stand mixer.

They're going down in price, too.
Maybe I'll drop the hint to my sons on the upcoming camping trip! Wink

My wife has one, and I have the Kindle Reader on my laptop.
My thought: You can buy lots of used books for the 120 bucks or so you would spend on an electronic think that might quit working. I like books.
But, toys are fun. Wink

Quote:Wonk...You can buy lots of used books for the 120 bucks or so you would spend on an electronic think that might quit working

He was against the wheel when it came out alsoRazz
(06-26-2011, 05:12 PM)Scrapper Wrote: Last book I read was Pet Cemetery... I think that was some time around 1985ish. I have started to read other books, but they didn't hold my interest so I never finished them.

Oh Scrapper Darlin',
That's kinda sad. Nothing like being in the middle of a good story and looking forward to a couple of hours with it.

May I presume to make a recommendation? A novel titled "Letters of a Woman Homesteader" by Elinore Pruitt Stewart.
A movie* titled "Heartland" was made from this story. A fine movie.
Google the title of the book and have a look. I'll bet you would like it.
If not, you will have lost little. You might find a treasure.

*The film is a stark depiction of early homestead life in the American West, and is based on a 1914 published reminiscence by Elinore Pruitt Stewart, titled Letters of a Woman Homesteader.