Vanguard on Current TV
I like this show. Here are some sample episodes. It might be worth a watch.

http://current.com/shows/vanguard/episodes/
(06-28-2011, 06:23 AM)cletus1 Wrote: I like this show. Here are some sample episodes. It might be worth a watch.

http://current.com/shows/vanguard/episodes/

No Current on Charter Cable.
I signed a 40 year contract. Should I break that contract, I must give them my 1st born child. I also must donate my services one Saturday a month to cleaning their service trucks and provide donuts to the installers in the neighborhood.

I got a especially good deal because I signed up before Jan 1, 1999. Others have lousy contracts.

Sad

We were watching something the other day on Current TV and were annoyed at the "Current" logo in the top left corner of the screen during the show.
(06-28-2011, 06:53 AM)Scrapper Wrote: We were watching something the other day on Current TV and were annoyed at the "Current" logo in the top left corner of the screen during the show.

Don't be annoyed. Don't watch Current. Wink

Don't watch tv, period!... Cool
(06-28-2011, 08:25 AM)rainylady Wrote: Don't watch tv, period!... Cool

As TVGUY, I must ask.. why the hell not?
Hey Clete what channel is this on? You have Direct TV right? This is just the kind of stuff I watch.
(06-28-2011, 09:12 AM)tvguy Wrote:

Television puts one in a fantasy world far from reality. The social skills diminish and one is stuck in front of a black box. Healthy individuals spend time reading, socializing, and with critical thinking skills learning new things. Television makes you numb to all of that. It is also a waste of time.

I used to watch the news every night at 5pm and that was it. I could never get into television myself. But, HEY, suit yourself... Cool
(06-28-2011, 09:23 AM)rainylady Wrote:

Television puts one in a fantasy world far from reality. The social skills diminish and one is stuck in front of a black box. Healthy individuals spend time reading, socializing, and with critical thinking skills learning new things. Television makes you numb to all of that. It is also a waste of time.

I used to watch the news every night at 5pm and that was it. I could never get into television myself. But, HEY, suit yourself... Cool

Well RL I was not going to say anything but I am now. You have often shown an amazing ignorance on many matters on this forum and I don't see a hell of a lot of critical thinking on your part either. So IMO YOU are the last person who should be telling ANYONE what healthy people do or don't do or tell us about social skills.

Your problem and TV snobs like you is that you can't seem to differentiate between abusing television and just using it for entertainment and learning from it.

Did you even look at the DOCUMENTARY programs that are offered here??

IMO you would do well to "waste" some of YOUR time watching programs like these.

(06-28-2011, 09:36 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(06-28-2011, 09:23 AM)rainylady Wrote:

Well RL I was not going to say anything but I am now. You have often shown an amazing ignorance on many matters on this forum and I don't see a hell of a lot of critical thinking on your part either. So IMO YOU are the last person who should be telling ANYONE what healthy people do or don't do or tell us about social skills.

Your problem and TV snobs like you is that you can't seem to differentiate between abusing television and just using it for entertainment and learning from it.

Did you even look at the DOCUMENTARY programs that are offered here??

IMO you would do well to "waste" some of YOUR time watching programs like these.

I know there is a MARKET for television. Documentaries are the higher end of that market. I just don't own a television and don't want to own a television.

As far as my participation on the forum. A lot of times I have nothing to say because the arguments are soo warped, no one is making sense. We are not geniuses here. Everyone comes to the table with their little bit of intelligence. I try to get into the more serious discussions TVGuy but it always turns into a fight that I just don't want to get into and really don't have the background to handle. Especially when it's talking politics. Most of us don't have the foggiest idea what we are talking about when it comes to politics. So I try not and show my ignorance. Maybe I should so I could stand corrected but for now I am trying to contribute to the forum in a way that creates a constructive idea. SO, I avoid the bickering on the more critical topics.
Numb isn't so bad. I enjoy checking out for a couple of hours every now and then by watching a movie. Better than some other ways to check out... like drugs... or alcohol. Although......

[Image: 263903_10150215890691135_80635216134_763...3613_n.jpg]

Laughing tee hee Evil
I rather go for a drink and hang out with friends talking. Wink
Quote:RL... Television puts one in a fantasy world far from reality

And since you don't watch, what put YOU in your fantasy world?LaughingWink

OK let me ask you this since you don't think their is any reality in television? Have you ever seen the inside of a maximum security cell? Have you ever seen a real hitman interview?
Do you know how many dangerous criminals are behind bars because of John Walsh?

Have you ever seen the amazing never before caught on film creatures that live in our deepest oceans? Have you ever glided across the treetops in a rain forest?

Seen a real homicide detective interview a real murderer?

Seen people capture a giant Anaconda? Tag and release giant great white sharks? capture nuisance bears.

Seen fisherman work a crab boat in 30 foot seas with gale force winds?

Seen how marble is cut and mined?

Seen Lions or any other of thousands of animals that wildlife photographers often spend decades filming before they can capture some of the most amazing scenes?

Seen Obama or Bush or any number of politicians interviews?

I could go on forever, do I really need to?
(06-28-2011, 09:21 AM)tvguy Wrote: Hey Clete what channel is this on? You have Direct TV right? This is just the kind of stuff I watch.
Its on channel 358.

(06-28-2011, 09:55 AM)tvguy Wrote:

OK let me ask you this since you don't think their is any reality in television? Have you ever seen the inside of a maximum security cell? Have you ever seen a real hitman interview?

Have you ever seen the amazing never before caught on film creatures that live in our deepest oceans? Have you ever glided across the treetops in a rain forest?

Seen people capture a giant Anaconda? Tag and release giant great white sharks? capture nuisance bears.

Seen Lions or any other of thousands of animals that wildlife photographers often spend decades filming before they can capture some of the most amazing scenes?

To be perfectly honest I have watched tv in my youth. But I am not against MOVIES where lots of people come together in a little community and participate in an entertaining event that is LIVE. TV is not live but dead. I am also not against the YouTube videos and various videos we have on the net. There are many sources to see these things you mention. I just don't advocate having a tv in one's house and that is just a personal preference I have accepted as part of my personality building that I go through.
(06-28-2011, 09:54 AM)rainylady Wrote: I rather go for a drink and hang out with friends talking. Wink

There are 7 days in a week; 365 in a year! There's no reason you can't spend time having drinks and hanging out talking with friends.... AND watching a bit of the boob tube. Rolling Eyes

Quote:I know there is a MARKET for television. Documentaries are the higher end of that market. I just don't own a television and don't want to own a television.
I really don't care what YOU do but you are sitting here making blanket inaccurate statements about all TV and all the people who watch.

Quote:As far as my participation on the forum. A lot of times I have nothing to say because the arguments are soo warped, no one is making sense. We are not geniuses here. Everyone comes to the table with their little bit of intelligence. I try to get into the more serious discussions TVGuy but it always turns into a fight that I just don't want to get into and really don't have the background to handle. Especially when it's talking politics. Most of us don't have the foggiest idea what we are talking about when it comes to politics. So I try not and show my ignorance. Maybe I should so I could stand corrected but for now I am trying to contribute to the forum in a way that creates a constructive idea. SO, I avoid the bickering on the more critical topics.

I could care less about bickering or your no participation in politics. I was speaking about your general knowledge of all things and IMO it is lacking compared to most. I would not be saying so if you had not basically condemned TV to be nothing but a waste of time for the ignorant people lacking in social skills and critical thinking.
Ever been manipulated into buying products you don't need?

Ever been manipulated into thinking "everybody is doing something" because advertisers paid to have this put into the shows?

Ever decided because you see people doing something on TV that you should be doing it too?

Ever contribute to a consumer society because everything you see on TV is promoting spending and consumption one way or another?

Ever gone along with a war because all of your TV watching amounts to subtle propaganda to support our war economy and corporate control?

Ever had an election rigged because the major powers that be own all the mass media sources, and they're in bed with the advertisers?

I could go on forever, do I really need to? Smiling
(06-28-2011, 10:03 AM)rainylady Wrote:

To be perfectly honest I have watched tv in my youth. But I am not against MOVIES where lots of people come together in a little community and participate in an entertaining event that is LIVE. TV is not live but dead. I am also not against the YouTube videos and various videos we have on the net. There are many sources to see these things you mention. I just don't advocate having a tv in one's house and that is just a personal preference I have accepted as part of my personality building that I go through.

I asked you IF you had ever seen a great many things , can you answer the question?

(06-28-2011, 10:11 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(06-28-2011, 10:03 AM)rainylady Wrote:

I asked you IF you had ever seen a great many things , can you answer the question?

I've seen things yes. I don't think more than anyone else though. I'm not trying to act smarter because I am not. I am just your average Jane who has her problems.