Vanguard on Current TV
(06-28-2011, 10:08 AM)PonderThis Wrote: Ever been manipulated into buying products you don't need?

Ever been manipulated into thinking "everybody is doing something" because advertisers paid to have this put into the shows?

Ever decided because you see people doing something on TV that you should be doing it too?

Ever contribute to a consumer society because everything you see on TV is promoting spending and consumption one way or another?

Ever gone along with a war because all of your TV watching amounts to subtle propaganda to support our war economy and corporate control?

Ever had an election rigged because the major powers that be own all the mass media sources, and they're in bed with the advertisers?

I could go on forever, do I really need to? Smiling

Hell Ponder those are all valid points about why dumb asses should not watch TV.Laughing

Those are all valid points why dumb asses should not turn on a radio, or read a magazine or go in to a mall a grocery store or listen to a car salesman

Did you seriously think I was claiming TV was perfect? you can't honestly ignore or side step or the point I was making about all of the knowledge you can gain on TV just by bringing up your list of cons.

(06-28-2011, 10:20 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(06-28-2011, 10:08 AM)PonderThis Wrote: I could go on forever, do I really need to? Smiling

Hell Ponder those are all valid points about why dumb asses should not watch TV.Laughing

Those are all valid points why dumb asses should not turn on a radio, or read a magazine or go in to a mall a grocery store or listen to a car salesman

Yup! We agree. Dumb asses are taken advantage of the world over. They're what makes the world go round, actually. Most people are probably destined to this group, unfortunately. Give them their pablum and let them live their lives. The rest of us will prosper more by exploiting them.

(06-28-2011, 10:20 AM)tvguy Wrote: Did you seriously think I was claiming TV was perfect?

No. You're merely a victim of the mass media of your time. Smiling I don't hold it against you that you're susceptible to this mass manipulation, we all are. The people that pay for this are masters at psychological manipulation. It's hardly any surprise that anyone exposed to it even in the slightest is affected by it, that's what they do. Smiling

(06-28-2011, 10:20 AM)tvguy Wrote: you can't honestly ignore or side step or the point I was making about all of the knowledge you can gain on TV just by bringing up your list of cons.

If honesty doesn't work then I guess dishonesty will do. Smiling

(06-28-2011, 10:30 AM)PonderThis Wrote:
(06-28-2011, 10:20 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(06-28-2011, 10:08 AM)PonderThis Wrote: I could go on forever, do I really need to? Smiling

Yup! We agree. Dumb asses are taken advantage of the world over. They're what makes the world go round, actually. Most people are probably destined to this group, unfortunately. Give them their pablum and let them live their lives. The rest of us will prosper more by exploiting them.

(06-28-2011, 10:20 AM)tvguy Wrote: Did you seriously think I was claiming TV was perfect?

No. You're merely a victim of the mass media of your time. Smiling I don't hold it against you that you're susceptible to this mass manipulation, we all are. The people that pay for this are masters at psychological manipulation. It's hardly any surprise that anyone exposed to it even in the slightest is affected by it, that's what they do. Smiling

(06-28-2011, 10:20 AM)tvguy Wrote: you can't honestly ignore or side step or the point I was making about all of the knowledge you can gain on TV just by bringing up your list of cons.

If honesty doesn't work then I guess dishonesty will do. Smiling

OK if I'm a victim please explain of what? If I'm manipulated then explain just exactly what I have been manipulated to do?

All I see is the same old shit. Ponder the amazing who is above and better than the masses. That's the theme of most of your posts. You are better than the rest, smarter. ONLY YOU know that advertising on TV manipulates people only YOU know that politicions can use TV to fool people.
YOU are smarter than us all, you say so all the time so it has to be trueLaughing

You look down on everyone Ponder,you are a fucking joke.

BTW nice how you and your like minded EX have totally refuse to answer if you have or have not seen any on all those things I have seen on the evil TV.
But that's OK I get it, your straw horse argument of bringing up the cons of television works well for you. You think so anyway.

Well, I explain how the masses are manipulated, while you and your family sell them used cars. I can see why you don't like a little knowledge being spread around. Smiling
Damn, people.

Watch want you want.

Don't watch want to don't want.

Read want you want.

Don't read what you don't want.

Eat what you want.

Don't eat what you don't want.

BUT MOST OF ALL, DON'T TELL OTHER FOLKS WHAT THEY SHOULD OR SHOULD NOT BE DOING.

Unless you are Wonky, the hall monitor. Razz
I actually see Ponders point. TV is a manipulative intrusion into our lives and I have other friends that avoid it too. I however think I am smarter that TV and I take from it what I want and reject the rest. It is a task that I am OK with performing because TV has become a wonderful source of information presented in a video format that written information can not match.
I believe it's more insidious than that. Psychological manipulation is something you cannot steel yourself away from, even with knowledge. I truly think this stuff is so corrosive and evil it can only be avoided, not "watched in moderation" or "watched with knowledge so it won't affect me". On the other hand, of course there is some good content available as well. I don't really profess to have the answer. TV might be a great medium if they weren't always trying to sell us something or otherwise manipulate us. In our society, does anything really function that way?
Speaking of the wretched boob tube...... what say you about parents these days that sit their kids in front of one for hours on end? Have you noticed that more and more parents use the darn thing as a babysitter now days? Dry
(06-29-2011, 06:28 AM)Scrapper Wrote: Speaking of the wretched boob tube...... what say you about parents these days that sit their kids in front of one for hours on end? Have you noticed that more and more parents use the darn thing as a babysitter now days? Dry
Good parenting is a lot of work and is tiring. Most American parents don't have the time nor patience to be a really good parent. The boob tube offers a way out. Unfortunately, it keeps the kids immature and stupid.
(06-28-2011, 11:02 AM)PonderThis Wrote: Well, I explain how the masses are manipulated, while you and your family sell them used cars. I can see why you don't like a little knowledge being spread around. Smiling

HUH? what on earth are you trying to say? That somehow I sell people things they don't want? WtF does me selling anything have to do with whether or not TV has any value?

Quote:No. You're merely a victim of the mass media of your time.

And how could you possibly know this? what are you some kind of Psychic? Oh yeah I forgot you actually think you are.Laughing

I just would like someone to tell me what TV has done to little old me. Do you guys think I vote based on what the TV tels me too or buy items I don't need? Do you thinks I have boxes of crap I buy on the shopping channel?

I think you and RL a silly ass hippie Californians who like to think you know something all of the rest of us dummies don't.

I gave an extensive list of things , wonderful awesome things that a person can see on TV who otherwise would NEVER see. I can't seem to get an honest answer when I ask if you people have ever seen these things.

All I get are unsubstantiated accusations about a waste of time, lack of critical thinking, manipulation, TV watchers are victims and lack social skillsRazzRazz

I'm with Cletus, I could care less if RL or Ponder can't watch a TV with out buying Ginzu knives and believing everything they see. I CAN.

If anyone is a victim it's you people who are so afraid of being manipulated that you isolate yourselves from what I consider a wonderful source of information and a tool that show you amazing things from all over the planet.

You remind me of the religious people who want to shove their religion down my throat.
I don't care if you don't watch TV. But to sit here and claim anyone who does is a VICTIM who lacks critical thinking skills and can't socialize is absurd and insulting.

And since you two brought it to this level with Ponder even bringing my family in to this??????
I think it's funny that a dope smoking loner and a mentally ill women are telling ANYONE what's right or wrong.

(06-29-2011, 01:35 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(06-28-2011, 11:02 AM)PonderThis Wrote: You're merely a victim of the mass media of your time.

And how could you possibly know this? what are you some kind of Psychic? Oh yeah I forgot you actually think you are.Laughing

I just would like someone to tell me what TV has done to little old me. Do you guys think I vote based on what the TV tels me too

Yes, frankly, I do. There isn't a U.S. abuse of authority or invasion or nationalized hatred of muslims illegal use of torture or whatever that you haven't been fine with, at least initially, and that's because you suck up to the TV pablum as it's spoon fed to you. How do I know? You then you bring it on the forum too, and scoff at everyone else that didn't suck up to the same message. You're one of the biggest victims of mass manipulation on the forum and you don't even realize it.

(06-29-2011, 06:41 PM)PonderThis Wrote:
(06-29-2011, 01:35 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(06-28-2011, 11:02 AM)PonderThis Wrote: You're merely a victim of the mass media of your time.

I just would like someone to tell me what TV has done to little old me. Do you guys think I vote based on what the TV tels me too

Yes, frankly, I do. There isn't a U.S. abuse of authority or invasion or nationalized hatred of muslims illegal use of torture or whatever that you haven't been fine with,

That simply is not true so neither ARE the rest of your moronic ACCUSATIONS

When the hell did I ever indicate I have anything against Muslims? OR when did I say I was in favor of torture for any reason?

My God man put down the fucking bong, I've made it clear many many times I am against our occupation of Iraq and that I was against the Vietnam war. Everything you just said is wrong, do you even remember who the hell you are talking to?

Quote: at least initially, and that's because you suck up to the TV pablum as it's spoon fed to you. How do I know?

OBVIOUSLY you don't have a clue what I watch on TV so your accusations are idiotic. I don't even watch the talking heads or anything political. I might watch a national debate or I might see politicians being interviewed but that's about it.

How do I know? You then you bring it on the forum too, and scoff at everyone else that didn't suck up to the same message. You're one of the biggest victims of mass manipulation on the forum and you don't even realize it.

That's Hilarius, just because I don't agree with malcontent America haters like you AND JC it's got to be be cause of TVLaughingLaughingLaughing

Sure I scoff at the few people like you who hate this country and everything about it. You people make me sick. but I don't look down hundreds of millions of people like you do because they are soldiers, veterans ,hunters or fisherman.

Only a few people are like me, while you're one amongst hundreds of millions. Nice. Smiling

"The Lounge forum is reserved for fun and friendly off-topic discussion, such as jokes, photo sharing, games and general chat. Debate, insults ad hominem argument and off topic posts are NOT allowed.
(06-29-2011, 10:37 PM)PonderThis Wrote: Only a few people are like me, while you're one amongst hundreds of millions. Nice. Smiling

Who's like you? I think you're an original. Big Grin
(06-29-2011, 10:42 PM)Crone Wrote: "The Lounge forum is reserved for fun and friendly off-topic discussion, such as jokes, photo sharing, games and general chat. Debate, insults ad hominem argument and off topic posts are NOT allowed.

I thought Wonky was the hall monitor?
Anyway will you abide by the rules you quoted when some lies about what you have posted?
(06-29-2011, 10:44 PM)Crone Wrote:
(06-29-2011, 10:37 PM)PonderThis Wrote: Only a few people are like me, while you're one amongst hundreds of millions. Nice. Smiling

Who's like you? I think you're an original. Big Grin

Right, and so is JC and ILC and Wildfire.