World's Longest Bridge Opens
Quote:This photo taken Wednesday, June 29, 2011 released by China's Xinhua news agency shows the Jiaozhou Bay Bridge in Qingdao, east China's Shandong Province. China opened Thursday, June 30, 2011, the world's longest cross-sea bridge, which is 42 kilometers (26 miles) long and links China's eastern port city of Qingdao to an offshore island, Huangdao.

[Image: e51fd62d93389c0ef10e6a706700fb3f.jpg]

[Image: 2011-06-30T112657Z_01_PEK08_RTRIDSP_3_CHINA.jpg]

http://news.yahoo.com/photos/china-s-jia...57580.html
I wonder if they used cheap Chinese contractors for the pieces. Smiling
(06-30-2011, 12:06 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I wonder if they used cheap Chinese contractors for the pieces. Smiling

Could be. Look at the debris in the left lane, top section.

I'm not quite sure, I didn't do my research, but if'n I 'member correctly, the last big bridge project in the U.S. was in the early 70's? Over the Mississippi? My point being we are SO left behind. Confused
I wonder how many of the 10,000 workers were injured or killed....sounds like they were being pushed to the max.

Quote:Built in just four years at a cost reported by the Chinese state media yesterday as £1.42 billion the bridge stands on 5,200 pillars and was entirely designed by Chinese engineers at the Shandong Gausu Group.

“We have learned a lot of new techniques and skills during the construction,” said Shao Xinpeng, the bridge’s chief engineer.

At least 10,000 workers toiled in two teams around the clock to build the bridge, working from opposite sides of the bay and linking the two ends together in the middle. “That was a totally original design,” claimed Mr Shao.

While they were working on the bridge, more engineers were simultaneously building an accompanying tunnel underneath the bay, which will help to ease the traffic flow.

A staggering 450,000 tons of steel was used in the construction, enough for almost 65 Eiffel Towers, and 2.3 million cubic metres of concrete. Chinese officials said that the bridge will be strong enough to withstand a magnitude 8 earthquake, typhoons or the impact of a 300,000 ton ship.

The bridge has eclipsed the current Guinness World Record-holder, the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway in Louisiana, by at least two-and-a-half miles.

However, it will be eclipsed in 2016 by another Chinese bridge, which is being built to link Hong Kong with Macau and Guangdong province and which will be around 30 miles long.

China also boasts a 102-mile-long land bridge on the route of the Beijing to Shanghai high-speed railway.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnew...ridge.html
(06-30-2011, 12:25 PM)Crone Wrote: I'm not quite sure, I didn't do my research, but if'n I 'member correctly, the last big bridge project in the U.S. was in the early 70's? Over the Mississippi? My point being we are SO left behind. Confused
I wonder how many of the 10,000 workers were injured or killed....sounds like they were being pushed to the max.

...Snip...

Yep, in China workers are cheap. Easily replaced. Population control I guess.

Bridge not that impressive. You seen ours at Grants Pass? TWO bridges! One for each direction. That is progress!

bridges goes to Huangdao. sounds like a name of a movie

[Image: 1moviebody-bridget-jones.jpg]
(06-30-2011, 10:56 PM)chuck white Wrote: bridges goes to Huangdao. sounds like a name of a movie

Or Bridget Jones goes to Huangdao, having gained 30 pounds and wearing old fashioned bloomers. Jolly good, that movie. Well, jolly fun at least.

At least in this photo her eyes are open. So often she only squints. (?)

She did a movie titled My One and Only that I thought was good. Did not get much attention, so maybe I was the only one who thought it interesting.

(06-30-2011, 12:25 PM)Crone Wrote: I'm not quite sure, I didn't do my research, but if'n I 'member correctly, the last big bridge project in the U.S. was in the early 70's? Over the Mississippi? My point being we are SO left behind. Confused

What about the new San Francisco Oakland Bridge That there was just a thread about? ?

(07-01-2011, 05:34 PM)Wonky Wrote:
(06-30-2011, 10:56 PM)chuck white Wrote: bridges goes to Huangdao. sounds like a name of a movie

Or Bridget Jones goes to Huangdao, having gained 30 pounds and wearing old fashioned bloomers. Jolly good, that movie. Well, jolly fun at least.

At least in this photo her eyes are open. So often she only squints. (?)

She did a movie titled My One and Only that I thought was good. Did not get much attention, so maybe I was the only one who thought it interesting.

OK who's got a thing for the goofy looking lady with the pushed up boobs? this is the second time today I've see her when she had nutting to do with anythingBlink
(07-01-2011, 07:14 PM)tvguy Wrote: OK who's got a thing for the goofy looking lady with the pushed up boobs? this is the second time today I've see her when she had nutting to do with anythingBlink

In threads about dead bodies in pools and long bridges, even! Rolling EyesLaughing

(07-01-2011, 07:12 PM)tvguy Wrote:

What about the new San Francisco Oakland Bridge That there was just a thread about? ?

now there's a long bridge from Oakland to ferrylandG

I confess...I'm a dummy. You are so right.
I was thinking about 'new' bridges where no bridge went before, but that's just crazy talk. Sorry! I love the new Carquinez and the new Benicia bridges also. Smiling

I never can drive across any big bridges without wondering if this is gonna be the big one and everything is going to drop out from underneath me. I don't much care, I've lived a good life, but I still always wonder.
Aren't they building a big bridge to nowhere in Alaska?
(07-02-2011, 09:05 AM)Crone Wrote:

I confess...I'm a dummy. You are so right.
I was thinking about 'new' bridges where no bridge went before, but that's just crazy talk. Sorry! I love the new Carquinez and the new Benicia bridges also. Smiling

Yer no dummySmiling Maybe there aint no new bridges because unlike China we aren't flooding millions of acres to need one.