So, who else is staying off the roads?
I had thought maybe I'd fire up the Harley and ride over to Tiller today to have coffee with Ponder. (He probably needs to borrow money again Laughing). Thing is, I'd be on well traveled public roads, and no doubt some have already started tossing back Jack Daniels with Bud chasers. Not a good time to carve around a corner and meet a drunk in the middle of the road.

Ponder, on the other hand, travels on goat paths that have seen only his beat up 'ol truck. Worse that can happen is he gets poison oak on his privates when he stops to pee.

So, I'm gonna stay in. Nibble on whatever I can find, and do some reading. (Reading a good one...about the building of the Erie Canal and the very important changes it made in our national history). Also reading a "mind candy" Dona Leon thing in between sessions. (My first reading of her. My good wife suggested it. The lady is a good writer, and while it's fluff she gives the language due respect).

Thinking of our history. When read closely, our "founding fathers" were all flawed in some way. Some in many ways. Some were outright opportunists who's real interest in our freedom was to grab land.
And still...
And still...
This "American Experiment" in democracy built within a republic, has been a wonderful blessing to so many of us.
As I consider that "declaration", the guts it took to break free, and the hopes those men (and women) had for our better future, I am humbled and thankful.

I won't be waving any flags (do have one in front of the house) or marching in any parades. I won't be shouting, "My country, right or wrong!". I will however, feel a tiny bit of pride in the very modest service I've given to our nation, glad that I have been active in trying to understand our politics, and being an engaged citizen.

I am so very lucky. By chance alone, I was born in the most wonderful country on the face of the globe.

I'm hoping I can be just one person who does whatever he can to further those qualities that make us a good people, a great nation, and a beacon of hope for the rest of the world.

A wonderful time of celebration.

Nice post wonk but you should have segued Bristol Palin in to the post or posted a photo of Rene Zelweger for guaranteed responses.Razz

BTW to anyone interested I get 5 bucks in my Paypal account every time I respond to a Wonk post unless I mention his moldy old books.. DARN, did it againSad

And what does our founding fathers have to do with a day all get drunk,blow things up and start fires?
I've never moldy received $5 old to my paypal books account either. How does he do that?
(07-02-2011, 10:22 AM)PonderThis Wrote: I've never moldy received $5 old to my paypal books account either. How does he do that?

What?
insert the words moldy old books randomly in our texts, just so he can weasel out on the $5.
(07-02-2011, 10:45 AM)PonderThis Wrote: insert the words moldy old books randomly in our texts, just so he can weasel out on the $5.

Got it, new screen name "Moldy old TVguy books".. HA , take that Wonky!
On this day, July 2, in the year of our Lord, 2011 I have filed a legal action in the Courts of justice in Medford, Oregon, the county of Jackson, the State of Oregon, for claims against:

One PonderThis, aka, "Crazy Mountain Man with Large head"
and,
TVGuy, aka, "Man ruled by big dog and women"

to wit:

That these two individuals have caused me mental anguish, hives upon my body in private areas, and sagging skin on or about my face and neck. Said afflictions were caused by unnecessary inflammatory written language, and clearly displayed in front of the group know as 'Those People Who Post at the MTF".

The court will set a date for inquiry, and the County Sheriff has informed the Court that he is going to "put a big case of whip-ass" on the individuals named, as a precursor to formal hearings.

Because: You don't tug on superman's cape, you don't spit into the wind, you don't pull the mask off the old Lone Ranger and you don't mess with the Wonk!
I dont recommend recreational travelling. People should be remaining in the spirit and preparing for what is to come.
What exactly is coming JC?

I have no reason to believe that I will be effected or affected but carry on nevertheless...
Cant say exactly , I am no Harold Camping. But here on the west coast a quake would be something to consider. There could very well be a heavenly portent and the Sign of the Universal Restoration. Some has to give in order for the harvest to begin .
(07-02-2011, 07:41 PM)zhang Wrote: What exactly is coming JC?

I have no reason to believe that I will be effected or affected but carry on nevertheless...
Of course you wont be affected. You live in a far away place and the coming apocalypse is only going to affect people in American cities that JC dont like.Big Grin
Blah Blah Blah... Doom and Gloom... Rolling Eyes
"It is estimated that there are 500,000 detectable earthquakes in the world each year. 100,000 of those can be felt, and 100 of them cause damage." http://earthquake.usgs.gov/learn/facts.php

Of course when one hits the west coast that will be a sign from God for JC.
Hey JC,
Pastor you have hijacked my topic.
I have you on "ignore" so didn't see it coming.
I miss seeing some of your posts. But all things being equal, I can't deal with the others.
Hope things are going well with you. Looks like you have troubled the water once again. You do about the bridge, right?
So, run with it, as you will. I have already had my fun with TV and Ponder, so my work here is done.
Remember to get lots of rest. You are your "better self" when you get good sleep.

PS: Still waiting for a photo of one of your flutes.
(07-02-2011, 09:24 PM)Wonky Wrote: Hey JC,
Remember to get lots of rest. You are your "better self" when you get good sleep.

PS: Still waiting for a photo of one of your flutes.

I'll second that.....Wink
Was supposed to travel to Lake Almanor for a family reunion but haven't been well all week so I am staying home and doing nothing! Such a fun holiday! Sad
I'll drive on the sidewalks, That should keep me off the road.
(07-03-2011, 06:35 PM)Snowlover Wrote: Was supposed to travel to Lake Almanor for a family reunion but haven't been well all week so I am staying home and doing nothing! Such a fun holiday! Sad

I thought it would be okay to be home doing nothing and now I really wish we had planned something. I bought some sparklers at the fireworks stand. Guess I'll stand out on the deck with a sparkler singing "America the Beautiful" or something.
Ho Hum...I know the feeling, Snowlover..... Sad
Spokane really sucks when it comes to the 4th, too much past sparklers and you'll find the police at your door and there is only one big display. I miss the days in Eagle Point when we could see the high school display from our yard and the whole neighborhood turned out for some unlicensed festivities (generally imported from Montana and certain Indian Reservations).

But please drive carefully if you do go out-- I mean a certain degree of insanity is just job security for hubby- but I'd really rather that ot apply to anyone I know. And as usual there will probably be a lot of drunk drivers on the roads this evening and night and a bunch of disorderlies at the fireworks displays. Add in the dehydrated and heat stuff and, well, you people take care of yourselves.