NY motorcyclist dies on ride protesting helmet law
http://news.yahoo.com/ny-motorcyclist-di...17859.html

Excerpt: "ONONDAGA, N.Y. (AP) — Police say a motorcyclist participating in a protest ride against helmet laws in upstate New York died after he flipped over the bike's handlebars and hit his head on the pavement.

The accident happened Saturday afternoon in the town of Onondaga, in central New York near Syracuse.

State troopers tell The Post-Standard of Syracuse that 55-year-old Philip A. Contos of Parish, N.Y., was driving a 1983 Harley Davidson with a group of bikers who were protesting helmet laws by not wearing helmets.

Troopers say Contos hit his brakes and the motorcycle fishtailed. The bike spun out of control, and Contos toppled over the handlebars. He was pronounced dead at a hospital.

Troopers say Contos would have likely survived if he had been wearing a helmet."
On the other hand, he may have just been paralyzed for life. I wonder what HE would have wanted?
Did he have any kids, the Darwin award committee wants to know.
(07-03-2011, 05:43 PM)PonderThis Wrote: http://news.yahoo.com/ny-motorcyclist-di...17859.html

Excerpt: "ONONDAGA, N.Y. (AP) — Police say a motorcyclist participating in a protest ride against helmet laws in upstate New York died after he flipped over the bike's handlebars and hit his head on the pavement.

The accident happened Saturday afternoon in the town of Onondaga, in central New York near Syracuse.

State troopers tell The Post-Standard of Syracuse that 55-year-old Philip A. Contos of Parish, N.Y., was driving a 1983 Harley Davidson with a group of bikers who were protesting helmet laws by not wearing helmets.

Troopers say Contos hit his brakes and the motorcycle fishtailed. The bike spun out of control, and Contos toppled over the handlebars. He was pronounced dead at a hospital.

Troopers say Contos would have likely survived if he had been wearing a helmet."

Yea, gets down to all that "personal freedom stuff", huh?

When will we all agree that there is no such thing as total personal freedom? (Yea, the old "you can't fire in a crowded theater thing")

I ride a bike. I wear a helmet. And leathers. and boots. and gloves. And none of it will help when I scream around a corner too fast and crash into a dump truck in his own lane.

We kill untold numbers in four tire vehicles. We fall of ladders. We have unprotected sex.

God knows we all need somebody to protect us, because as a nation we seem to be less than mature. I don't know why I ride a motorcycle. I stated riding as a young guy, but stopped (for the most part) when the kids were growing up because I couldn't afford to break up a bunch a bones and be out of work. Once they were up and out, I was right back on a Harley.
I'm known here, so don't need to tell you I'm not the brightest bulb on the tree. But I'm not totally stupid either. (Shut the hell up, TVguy!) Yet, I ride, even into my golden years as my reaction time slows.

So, who the hell knows? I don't.

The irony of this guy dying during the demonstration is beyond strange. It does not prove much.

People like me are still out here doing stupid stuff. Crying
(07-03-2011, 08:21 PM)Wonky Wrote: The irony of this guy dying during the demonstration is beyond strange. It does not prove much.

Yup. I love to make forum posts about irony. Smiling
(07-03-2011, 08:25 PM)PonderThis Wrote:
(07-03-2011, 08:21 PM)Wonky Wrote: The irony of this guy dying during the demonstration is beyond strange. It does not prove much.

Yup. I love to make forum posts about irony. Smiling

Ah, shad up already wit your irony! Laughing
You are a case in point. Razz

(07-03-2011, 08:25 PM)PonderThis Wrote: Yup. I love to make forum posts about irony. Smiling

Well, at least you got more response than I did with my coconut face...
LaughingBlinkLaughingLaughing
(07-03-2011, 09:01 PM)Crone Wrote:
(07-03-2011, 08:25 PM)PonderThis Wrote: Yup. I love to make forum posts about irony. Smiling

Am I the first to admit I don't have a clue what your remark means?
(07-03-2011, 09:29 PM)Wonky Wrote:
(07-03-2011, 09:01 PM)Crone Wrote:

Am I the first to admit I don't have a clue what your remark means?
http://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/sh...p?tid=5186

Big Grin
(07-03-2011, 09:01 PM)Crone Wrote: Well, at least you got more response than I did with my coconut face...

I looked at your coconut face, I really did. But how do you make a witty comment about something that looks like a butthole with eyes? Smiling

I think the guys protesting helmet laws did a great job at showing why people should wear a brain bucket. Especially the dead guy.
(07-04-2011, 01:30 AM)PonderThis Wrote:
(07-03-2011, 09:01 PM)Crone Wrote: Well, at least you got more response than I did with my coconut face...

I looked at your coconut face, I really did. But how do you make a witty comment about something that looks like a butthole with eyes? Smiling

You just didSmiling
(07-04-2011, 01:30 AM)PonderThis Wrote:

I was gonna say it looked like Michael Moore. It scares me that we are thinking alike.
Hey, if someone chooses to be an organ donor, who am I to stop them! Razz
When I was part of the crew, we didn't have the "Jaws Of Life". But, I don't imagine it would have made any difference. And, you didn't have to cut them out of their seatbelts, with the vehicle on fire. Bikers could have made my life miserable. But usually, they just meant a while spent hosing out the back of the ambulance.
Hello Darwin.