Stolen iPhone helps deputies catch alleged thieves
I love this story! There are not too many things I dislike more than thieves.

Quote:According to the Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office, at approximately 4:30 p.m. Saturday, a deputy was dispatched to take a car prowl report at Rooster Rock State Park in the Columbia River Gorge. A woman visiting from California had stopped at the park on her way to Portland International Airport to fly home. While she was away from her vehicle, several items were stolen, including an Apple iPhone 4.

About an hour after reporting the theft, the victim's husband called the deputy from his home in California to say that he was tracking the stolen iPhone on his computer through the “Mobile Me” GPS website. A second deputy used the victim’s information to follow the phone’s movements through GPS and pinpointed its exact location on the a patrol car computer.

The deputy, along with two Portland police officers, went to a house in the 3900 block of North Kiska Street in Portland, and, with consent of the owners, were able to search a vehicle in the driveway, where they found some of the victim’s belongings, but not the phone.

Nicholas Barnard, 43, was arrested and lodged in the Multnomah County Detention Center on one count of first-degree theft and one count of unlawful entry into a motor vehicle.

After leaving the detention center, the deputy received another call from the victim’s husband who told him the GPS tracking device showed the iPhone moving again.

A third deputy who was nearby the new location was directed to the intersection of North Lombard and North Chicago streets in Portland, then steered to a more specific location, where three adult males were sitting near a tree. After talking with the men, the deputy tracking the phone sent an alert to the stolen iPhone, and it rang in the pocket of a man sitting near the treet.

http://www.portlandtribune.com/news/prin...5325979600
(07-03-2011, 10:15 PM)Valuesize Wrote: There are not too many things I dislike more than thieves.

Agreed, but liars and cheaters are right in there too.
I watch a lot of crime shows on TV. The ones about real crimes and how they were solved. It almost unbelievable how many crimes are solved based on cell phone records.
In case anyone here doesn't know , every time you make a call you utilize the closest cell tower to you. Depending up on where you are your location can be somewhat triangulated.
Often the cops use these record to prove that your were not where you said you were even if they can't tell exactly where you were.
And that blows alibis apart and wins cases. Then there are the other geniuses who call their hit man 20 times before the hit.Laughing

(07-04-2011, 11:18 AM)PonderThis Wrote:
(07-03-2011, 10:15 PM)Valuesize Wrote: There are not too many things I dislike more than thieves.

Agreed, but liars and cheaters are right in there too.

Agreed but depending on what they lie and cheat about. I didn't care much that Bill lied about Monica on cheated on Hilary.

The Liars and cheaters that I have a problem with are those who prey on the elderly. You know, like those TV evangelists.