Democracy (by Leonard Cohen)
(07-05-2011, 09:40 AM)cletus1 Wrote:
(07-05-2011, 07:34 AM)Wonky Wrote:
(07-05-2011, 07:10 AM)cletus1 Wrote: Very nice Crone. Thank you.

Have you ever considered that some people that speak loudly about defending democracy dont really like it?

Clete, not sure what that means. I understand your statement in general, but wonder about your take on Mr. Cohen's attitude in his song/poem.
Wonk, I liked the poem and the sentiment. The lyric that democracy is coming to America is a pointed statement. You know, like democracy is finally coming to this democracy.

My other statement is more of the same stuff I always post. Some people that say they fight for democracy and against oppression don't always like what democracy brings and discover they prefer a more authoritarian government.

Finally got back to you: I was "at work in the fields of the Lord". Laughing

I agree that "Democracy is Coming to America" is a pointed statement. We have, in fact, enjoyed the wonders of freedom envied the world over. And yet, we find these nasty little spots of oppression, disadvantage, off-shoring, people out of work, kind of things that make democracy work a lot better for some than others. It's a fact that even out of work people without health insurance and a car without gasoline are free of tyranny. It must seem hollow at times.
When Leonard Cohen says there is a crack that may let in more democracy, I suspect that is what he is talking about. (By the way, the "crack" is a theme he returns too often, saying "that's how the light gets in")

And I biased. I have admired this guy for 40 years. He's not a genius, a Sayer, a man of God or the gods, or a perfect writer even. He is an artist, seeing the world in ways that many don't. He is a contributor, at least. That's something.

In short, your point is good and should be considered. I have. I also feel a kinship to the ideals I think are build into that lyric. I guess I'm the original cop-out...I see it both ways. Wink
Sometimes the ugly is a reminder for the rest of us. I despise Fred Phelps and the garbage he spews-- but it is easy enough to agree with the guy standing on the corner waving a sign with a happy positive message. The real test for us as patriots and believers of free speech is how we act around the worst, the ones that make us want to grit our teeth and outlaw every foul thing they spew. Our country was founded by idealists who believed there was value in disagreeing with the common flow- for better or worse- and some of our greatest achievements have come from those who have dissented from the common opinion. Even if the dissenters opinion does nothing more then make you think and cement your own opinions and values, it has value.

You may not always agree with the message, but the expression of that message is a core patriotic value of this nation and should always be protected.
(07-05-2011, 03:08 PM)PonderThis Wrote: This probably deserves a topic all its own, and I realize will be seen as highly controversial (well, maybe not, coming from me). But who in their right mind would run any kind of a business taking as direction the average common ideas of every Tom Dick and Harry walking down the street? I mean, there are some stupid, ill-informed people out there, and sure, those people make great victims to exploit but honestly, would you take their advice on anything?

Yet, you run a country (with far more at stake) taking those very views of Tom Dick and Harry.

When you wonder how I suggest smart people just make their own rules instead, it's based entirely on things like this. I don't have any more interests in running my life on the average common wisdom than I do of becoming the man in the moon. What a stupid way to run a government! Well, isn't it???

NO, besides I know a lot of Tom's and Harry's but mostly the Dick's don't even vote.
(07-06-2011, 02:23 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(07-05-2011, 03:08 PM)PonderThis Wrote: This probably deserves a topic all its own, and I realize will be seen as highly controversial (well, maybe not, coming from me). But who in their right mind would run any kind of a business taking as direction the average common ideas of every Tom Dick and Harry walking down the street? I mean, there are some stupid, ill-informed people out there, and sure, those people make great victims to exploit but honestly, would you take their advice on anything?

Yet, you run a country (with far more at stake) taking those very views of Tom Dick and Harry.

When you wonder how I suggest smart people just make their own rules instead, it's based entirely on things like this. I don't have any more interests in running my life on the average common wisdom than I do of becoming the man in the moon. What a stupid way to run a government! Well, isn't it???

NO, besides I know a lot of Tom's and Harry's but mostly the Dick's don't even vote.

LaughingLaughingLaughing TVg, I'm gonna run for office. Will you write my talking points?

Ponder, who are "The Smart People"? I mean, besides you, TV, and me?

No, Democracy is messy, by it's very nature. The cream does not always rise to the top. The solid stuff floats downhill, and Murphy was an optimist. But as Churchill (?) said, "It's so much better than....".

But mostly it's not for the weak of heart or the lazy. This Great Experiment requires active involvement from those smart people to which you refer. We get better by the inch, not in great leaps. And we slide back all too quickly.

We examine our lives not to achieve perfection, but to avoid ignorance and repeated costly mistakes. As we grow older we hope to accumulate a bit of wisdom and pass that on to those who follow. In this way we inch forward.

If we fail to move on, we are like sharks who die from lack of oxygen. Nature seems to require a steady cycle, and we are in the middle of natures wonders.

There may be no great value to Mr. Cohen's lyric. We see in it what we will, or we see it as empty words. But, I'd suggest it does little harm to look it over with a curious eye. There may be hidden there, a bit of wisdom from and old man who has been down some roads and seen some life.