What's so great about gay history? Go to school in California and find out.
California lawmakers pass bill to teach gay history
http://news.yahoo.com/california-lawmake...38470.html

"A bill to require California public schools to teach the historical accomplishments of gay men and lesbians passed the state Legislature on Tuesday in what supporters call a first for the nation.

Governor Jerry Brown, a Democrat, has not said publicly whether he supports the bill, which he has 12 days to sign or veto once it reaches his desk later this month. If he takes no action, the measure would become law automatically.

The bill gained final passage from the state Assembly on a vote of 49-25, without a single Republican supporting it. The measure cleared the state Senate in April.

California already requires public schools to teach the contributions made to society by women and by racial and ethnic groups that were historically discriminated against, such as blacks, Latinos and Native Americans.

Supporters of the latest bill said it would simply include gays, lesbians, bisexuals and transgender individuals in that existing requirement, making it part of the curriculum in history and other social studies classes.

"It's unfair to leave out or exclude an entire portion of our population from history," said Carolyn Laub, executive director of San Francisco-based Gay-Straight Alliance Network.

The group, which supported the bill, said no other state has passed similar legislation requiring the teaching of gay and lesbian contributions to society.

In fact, Laub pointed to a bill that passed the Tennessee state Senate this year that would prohibit the state's schools from teaching about homosexuality before secondary school.

The Tennessee proposal, which detractors have nicknamed the "don't say gay bill," has still not passed the state House of Representatives.

California Assemblyman Donald Wagner is one of the Republicans who opposed the state's bill requiring teaching about the accomplishments of gays and lesbians.

"Writing these provisions into textbooks will further an agenda rather than teach facts," Wagner said. "When we do things, we politicize them because that's the nature of politics. We should leave education to the educators."

The bill was written by state Senator Mark Leno, an openly gay Democrat who represents San Francisco and surrounding communities.

Even if the bill is signed by the governor, it could be several years before California students start reading in textbooks about gay accomplishments.

The California Department of Education has said that, because of the fiscal crisis facing the state, the agency does not expect to adopt new textbooks until 2015."
When I was in high school, I though history class was so gay.
I know they have classes geared toward minorities*. Including all the different kinds. History should be taught that way so that we can keep an eye on the oppressed and the patterns that lead to their oppression. This way we learn what not to do. For example, slavery. If we teach history in terms of white male dominance it leads to oppression because the entire system was built on the back of minorities and should be thought of in terms of those minorities. I am not saying white males are bad, I am just saying it is their mentality that set up the system of slavery. Get someone to do the work for you. Now we have the entire nation working like slaves for a meager living and who knows how many unemployed and growing. I would not be surprised if one day (probably not in my lifetime) it either gets really bad to the point that we have a revolution or we destroy our environment to the point that disease becomes rampant. If we ever have a revolution to bring about change it will be at the hands of the minorities.

*gays, latinos, blacks, etc...
(07-06-2011, 06:12 PM)chuck white Wrote: When I was in high school, I though history class was so gay.
Now it is simply fabulous.

(07-06-2011, 06:31 PM)rainylady Wrote: Now we have the entire nation working like slaves for a meager living and who knows how many unemployed and growing. I would not be surprised if one day (probably not in my lifetime) it either gets really bad to the point that we have a revolution or we destroy our environment to the point that disease becomes rampant. If we ever have a revolution to bring about change it will be at the hands of the minorities.

*gays, latinos, blacks, etc...

Get a job in the Obama's White House.

I heat they pay really, really well and get great raises too

of course the president just denied they got raises. Opps.

[Image: 0706_whchart.jpg]

Good to see you posting Just in Time . Enjoy the new format . - JC
Not one of them earns a salary that would get me to the office. And, probably...not one of them is worth what he gets.
I'd show up for the $130,000 one but I probably wouldn't do much. Smiling
(07-06-2011, 01:33 PM)PonderThis Wrote: California lawmakers pass bill to teach gay history
http://news.yahoo.com/california-lawmake...38470.html

"A bill to require California public schools to teach the historical accomplishments of gay men and lesbians passed the state Legislature on Tuesday in what supporters call a first for the nation.

Governor Jerry Brown, a Democrat, has not said publicly whether he supports the bill, which he has 12 days to sign or veto once it reaches his desk later this month. If he takes no action, the measure would become law automatically.

The bill gained final passage from the state Assembly on a vote of 49-25, without a single Republican supporting it. The measure cleared the state Senate in April.

California already requires public schools to teach the contributions made to society by women and by racial and ethnic groups that were historically discriminated against, such as blacks, Latinos and Native Americans.

Supporters of the latest bill said it would simply include gays, lesbians, bisexuals and transgender individuals in that existing requirement, making it part of the curriculum in history and other social studies classes.

"It's unfair to leave out or exclude an entire portion of our population from history," said Carolyn Laub, executive director of San Francisco-based Gay-Straight Alliance Network.

The group, which supported the bill, said no other state has passed similar legislation requiring the teaching of gay and lesbian contributions to society.

In fact, Laub pointed to a bill that passed the Tennessee state Senate this year that would prohibit the state's schools from teaching about homosexuality before secondary school.

The Tennessee proposal, which detractors have nicknamed the "don't say gay bill," has still not passed the state House of Representatives.

California Assemblyman Donald Wagner is one of the Republicans who opposed the state's bill requiring teaching about the accomplishments of gays and lesbians.

"Writing these provisions into textbooks will further an agenda rather than teach facts," Wagner said. "When we do things, we politicize them because that's the nature of politics. We should leave education to the educators."

The bill was written by state Senator Mark Leno, an openly gay Democrat who represents San Francisco and surrounding communities.

Even if the bill is signed by the governor, it could be several years before California students start reading in textbooks about gay accomplishments.

The California Department of Education has said that, because of the fiscal crisis facing the state, the agency does not expect to adopt new textbooks until 2015."

Meanwhile American students are failing history nationwide. They don't even know who Lincoln was.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/15/educat...z1RLRsW0Gf

Or could name how many justices are on the Supreme Court. On the test in the following link 87 percent of high school seniors who took the test failed to show proficiency in the subject. The numbers are slightly better for younger students. 82 percent of eighth graders failed. 78 percent of fourth graders did too.
http://www2.wspa.com/news/2011/jul/04/am...r-2064886/

But at least they will be taught about gays and how to put a condom on a banana.