Analysis: Underwater Rare Earths Likely a Pipe Dream
Analysis: Underwater Rare Earths Likely a Pipe Dream

inShare
Share this

By Julie Gordon
Thu Jul 7, 2011 4:39pm EDT
by Julie Gordon

An underwater bonanza of rare earth deposits discovered by Japanese scientists poses little threat to miners already developing major rare earth projects on solid ground.

Companies such as Molycorp, Lynas and Avalon Rare Metals may rest assured that developing the offshore bounty could take decades and cost billions, making it little more than a pipe dream, analysts say.

"'Desperado', that's the first word that comes to mind," said Jacob Securities analyst Luisa Moreno. "It makes for some nice headlines, but I don't think it would really be feasible to do this."
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/07/0...5920110707
I believe Rare Earth was the first all White Rock Band to be signed by Motown.

However "Desperado" was an Eagles' song.
Well , I really don''t see the need for so many more devices being made for public consumption. If the production of the majority of high tech stuff made for the masses was curbed ? There would be enough until sites on the mainland were developed with environmental guidelines that are realistically attainable.
Wow... Way to take your own thread off topic. Blink
The topic is REM , the attempt to extract them form the sea , and overall why we need them and what can we do to get by. Do you have something to contribute ? What do you know about REM mining sites past , present , and future ? Will you even try ? - JC 616