Rupert's troubles.

Posted this on the SC forum. Noticed it hasn't been here yet. Or maybe it's around but haven't found it.

New development to note, David Cameron, Britain's Prime minister of UK, maybe has ties due to some of his staff's previous employment the newspaper in question. Will Rupert Murdoch fall?

7-7-11:
Interesting development of a news organization owned by Rupert Murdoch. Allegations have arisen that ‘News of the World’ paid to have phones hacked of those who were victims of crimes; sometimes dead.

I wonder how Rupe got the idea? Did he learn it from the legal team the Bush administration had or did he teach Al Gonzo on his own?

It will be interesting how FOX plays it.

Hang on, I have a phone call…
Claims News of the World 'hacked 7/7 family phones
(07-08-2011, 04:11 PM)mixpix Wrote:
Posted this on the SC forum. Noticed it hasn't been here yet. Or maybe it's around but haven't found it.

New development to note, David Cameron, Britain's Prime minister of UK, maybe has ties due to some of his staff's previous employment the newspaper in question. Will Rupert Murdoch fall?

7-7-11:
Interesting development of a news organization owned by Rupert Murdoch. Allegations have arisen that ‘News of the World’ paid to have phones hacked of those who were victims of crimes; sometimes dead.

I wonder how Rupe got the idea? Did he learn it from the legal team the Bush administration had or did he teach Al Gonzo on his own?

"Did he learn it from the legal team the Bush administration had..."

That's inflammatory at a time when we simply don't need it. I'm a Democrat who did not (and would not) vote for Mr. Bush. But whatever is going on with Murdock is his evil strategy alone and bringing up old wounds does nothing to improve the already stressed political differences tying our national discussion.
(07-08-2011, 05:34 PM)Wonky Wrote: "Did he learn it from the legal team the Bush administration had..."

That's inflammatory at a time when we simply don't need it. I'm a Democrat who did not (and would not) vote for Mr. Bush. But whatever is going on with Murdock is his evil strategy alone and bringing up old wounds does nothing to improve the already stressed political differences tying our national discussion.
Good viewpoint and subsequent post.
(07-08-2011, 05:34 PM)Wonky Wrote:
(07-08-2011, 04:11 PM)mixpix Wrote:

7-7-11:

"Did he learn it from the legal team the Bush administration had..."

yes it does. this is an opportune time to destroy murdoch's evil empire. Enough of your can't we all just get along crap.
bbqboy Wrote:yes it does. this is an opportune time to destroy Murdoch’s evil empire. Enough of your can't we all just get along crap

At least you see the real story as it is.

I agree that Murdoch’s evil empire is just that.

I wouldn’t be surprised one bit if this scandal spills right into Fox News main desk where Bill O’Really sits. I don’t really watch Fox News, though it’s only a couple of channels away from where I view CNN. Usually it’s PBS but when I need the “filler” I hit up CNN. I can’t stomach HLN because they’re stuck on the Casey Anthony Show & I’ve had enough of that shit. MSNBC is the just opposite of Fox.

Fox News USA, is a stable for right wing presidential candidates. There are probably even some personnel with insider information from the government as well as the markets. There is bound to be the same type of business practice from Fox here.

Profits are more important to Murdoch’s news organizations than following the rules. If Murdoch’s employees get away with hacking phones of dead people & victims from violent crimes, then they are hailed as valuable newsmen. If they do get caught, as they did in the UK, then Murdoch will put as much distance as he can. He’ll through his own son under the bus so his reputation doesn’t get tarnished.

Well, guess what? His reputation is tarnished but I think he’ll be able to wriggle his neck out of the loop. Just like that lawyer that got shot in the face by Cheney and how he apologized to Cheney because he was in the way: “sorry Richard, my face was in the way of your buck shot”; SFs! There are sure to be a slough full of rightwing apologists that come to Murdoch’s aid.

It is a symbiotic relationship for the conservative voice that needs the amplification that is Fox News and that of Rupert Murdoch, who needs to keep a clean reputation so his news services keep their credibility; good luck with that!
Bottom line though is the $$ that Murdoch is losing with the fall of News of the World.

He should be able to relate to Baby Bush in that manner. Though Murdoch loses a 160+ years of a news paper, Baby Bush slaughters the economy of the largest economy in the free world.

Things were so screwed up from the Bush fiasco, the American public elects their first person of color; that’s how screwed up Bush was. If Murdoch loses Fox News due to the credibility falter from the phone hacking of dead people & victims of violent crimes, he would have to scale the failure Bush was.

I don’t like Fox News, about as much as I don’t like Glenn Beck or that bitch Casey Anthony. I hope they all fade into a distant memory; good riddance.

http://www.newsweek.com/2011/07/10/murdo...xYB8cRt76W
Murdoch’s Watergate?
His anything-goes approach has spread through journalism like a contagion. Now it threatens to undermine the influence he so covets.
murdoch-news-world-co07

The hacking scandal currently shaking Rupert Murdoch’s empire will surprise only those who have willfully blinded themselves to that empire’s pernicious influence on journalism in the English-speaking world. Too many of us have winked in amusement at the salaciousness without considering the larger corruption of journalism and politics promulgated by Murdoch Culture on both sides of the Atlantic.

The facts of the case are astonishing in their scope. Thousands of private phone messages hacked, presumably by people affiliated with the Murdoch-owned News of the World newspaper, with the violated parties ranging from Prince William and actor Hugh Grant to murder victims and families of soldiers killed in Iraq and Afghanistan. The arrest of Andy Coulson, former press chief to Prime Minister David Cameron, for his role in the scandal during his tenure as the paper’s editor. The arrest (for the second time) of Clive Goodman, the paper’s former royals editor. The shocking July 7 announcement that the paper would cease publication three days later, putting hundreds of employees out of work. Murdoch’s bid to acquire full control of cable-news company BSkyB placed in jeopardy. Allegations of bribery, wiretapping, and other forms of lawbreaking—not to mention the charge that emails were deleted by the millions in order to thwart Scotland Yard’s investigation.

All of this surrounding a man and a media empire with no serious rivals for political influence in Britain—especially, but not exclusively, among the conservative Tories who currently run the country. Almost every prime minister since the Harold Wilson era of the 1960s and ’70s has paid obeisance to Murdoch and his unmatched power. When Murdoch threw his annual London summer party for the United Kingdom’s political, journalistic, and social elite at the Orangery in Kensington Gardens on June 16, Prime Minister Cameron and his wife, Sam, were there, as were Labour leader Ed Miliband and assorted other cabinet ministers.

Murdoch associates, present and former—and his biographers—have said that one of his greatest long-term ambitions has been to replicate that political and cultural power in the United States. For a long time his vehicle was the New York Post—not profitable, but useful for increasing his eminence and working a wholesale change not only in American journalism but in the broader culture as well. Page Six, emblematic in its carelessness about accuracy or truth or context—but oh-so-readable—became the model for the gossipization of an American press previously resistant to even considering publishing its like. (Murdoch accomplished a similar debasement of the airwaves in the 1990s with the—tame by today’s far-lower standards—tabloid television show Hard Copy.)

Then came the unfair and imbalanced politicized “news” of the Fox News Channel—showing (again) Murdoch’s genius at building an empire on the basis of an ever-descending lowest journalistic denominator. It, too, rests on a foundation that has little or nothing to do with the best traditions and values of real reporting and responsible journalism: the best obtainable version of the truth. In place of this journalistic ideal, the enduring Murdoch ethic substitutes gossip, sensationalism, and manufactured controversy.
continued...........
bbqboy Wrote:Murdoch’s Watergate?

I wouldn’t be surprised…

His latest venture to acquire BSkyB, has him flying back to the UK for damage control. Wouldn’t it be a kick if he was taken into custody?
Not to worry, he’s got plenty of friends in the high “right” places so I’m sure he’s safe from incarceration.
Rupert’s seemingly only disappointment coming from this scandal, other than what has happened so far, is losing that BSkyB acquisition.

I wonder what Fox News has commented on thus far state side? I haven’t watched Fox since this development but I’d think they’d try to keep it under the rug.

There is an election cycle coming up here in the US & the conservative candidates can really use Fox to spring board their political campaigns. But will this episode cause them to distance themselves from Fox or will they try to spin it as they are the economy. Their spin is it is Obama’s fault that the economy is faltering. The conservatives deflect any criticism that may be put back on the Republicans under the Bush regime. I see the same strategy in place while Rupert suffers through this.
At worst it’s going to turn into a Watergate. So far there are accusations the inter company emails are being deleted. So far that has been denied by those employees.
At best, Rupert will weld this situation right up, with the help of the politicians he’s amplified their voices for & this issue will fade away…

(07-09-2011, 04:36 PM)mixpix Wrote:

I wouldn’t be surprised…

His latest venture to acquire BSkyB, has him flying back to the UK for damage control. Wouldn’t it be a kick if he was taken into custody?
Not to worry, he’s got plenty of friends in the high “right” places so I’m sure he’s safe from incarceration.
Rupert’s seemingly only disappointment coming from this scandal, other than what has happened so far, is losing that BSkyB acquisition.

I wonder what Fox News has commented on thus far state side? I haven’t watched Fox since this development but I’d think they’d try to keep it under the rug.

There is an election cycle coming up here in the US & the conservative candidates can really use Fox to spring board their political campaigns. But will this episode cause them to distance themselves from Fox or will they try to spin it as they are the economy. Their spin is it is Obama’s fault that the economy is faltering. The conservatives deflect any criticism that may be put back on the Republicans under the Bush regime. I see the same strategy in place while Rupert suffers through this.
At worst it’s going to turn into a Watergate. So far there are accusations the inter company emails are being deleted. So far that has been denied by those employees.
At best, Rupert will weld this situation right up, with the help of the politicians he’s amplified their voices for & this issue will fade away…

Yes, the big question is whether the top management knew about these despicable tactics. They are claiming total ignorance which likely means it's massive cover up time.

For what I consider to be a traditional conservative, Murdoch has indeed been a huge contributor to the bastardization of conservative politics over the last 15-20 years. Murdoch has been key to making conservative a neat package of 3-4 issues - some of which actually contradict conservatism as less government.

Now we will see a partisan lining up to defend this wretched excuse for journalism.
(07-09-2011, 06:01 PM)antiideologue Wrote:
(07-09-2011, 04:36 PM)mixpix Wrote:

I wouldn’t be surprised…

Yes, the big question is whether the top management knew about these despicable tactics. They are claiming total ignorance which likely means it's massive cover up time.

For what I consider to be a traditional conservative, Murdoch has indeed been a huge contributor to the bastardization of conservative politics over the last 15-20 years. Murdoch has been key to making conservative a neat package of 3-4 issues - some of which actually contradict conservatism as less government.

Now we will see a partisan lining up to defend this wretched excuse for journalism.

Lots of "big questions".

An example: He (News Corp.) owns controlling interest in The Wall Street Journal, Barron's, and the Financial Times also. There has never been anyone there who claimed Murdoch has ever interfered with the editorial content of any of those publications.
On the other hand, he is reported to be in touch with Roger Ailes at Fox almost daily.
The man has no interest in journalism.
He is an unabashed capitalist of the worst sort, his only interest being in profit and FINANCIAL power.
Financial power of course comes from ratings and numbers of copies sold. He is wise enough to know that the "legitimate" publications mentioned above gives him cover should he need it.
This guy has enormous clout.
So does George Soros.
And many others.
Most are corrupted by power. Some are without moral restraint.
My guess is that Murdoch is all about money, and little else.
And that he has no moral center.

But, when all is said and done, I fear this kind of guy much less than those who like the "brothers" (damn old mind...can't remember the names) who finance wacko ideals that lead to real political madness.

The English government is not big enough to nail his sorry ass. I doubt that any government will convict him of the things his organizations have done. That kind of wealth has power few of us can really understand. (I don't). We know his is insulated by all the lawyers money can buy.

In the end, I doubt that he will matter much. All his money will buy him nothing of real value. He too will die. His money will live on, generating even more. And someday, that money will bet on "the wrong horse" and wither.

Murdoch is a blip that won't change much, and FOX (and like outfits) may very well die before he does.

Let him fade away. Like MacArthur, he too will be soon forgotten.
antiideologue Wrote:Now we will see a partisan lining up to defend this wretched excuse for journalism

Or they’ll scurry like rats from a flooded dumpster….

(07-09-2011, 09:55 PM)mixpix Wrote:
antiideologue Wrote:Now we will see a partisan lining up to defend this wretched excuse for journalism

Or huddle quietly in a corner till it passes. Many avoid in depth discussions because they can not think on their own.
(07-10-2011, 07:25 AM)cletus1 Wrote:
(07-09-2011, 09:55 PM)mixpix Wrote:

Or huddle quietly in a corner till it passes. Many avoid in depth discussions because they can not think on their own.

DUCK!