Jeeter da man! what a game eh?
OK I'm a big fan O Derick Jeeter and I know many aren't so much because he's a Yankee. But like him or not you must be able to appreciate his all-star game in which he not only went five for five and not only became one of an elite few to have 3000 hits.
But amazingly hit THE game winning home run for his 3000th hit.

What made it especially good for me was that previous to this game I heard some prominent people on radio sports talk try and make the case that he should not be in the all-star game based on his performance this year. I'm just glad that the fans put him there.
(07-11-2011, 02:28 PM)tvguy Wrote: OK I'm a big fan O Derick Jeeter and I know many aren't so much because he's a Yankee. But like him or not you must be able to appreciate his all-star game in which he not only went five for five and not only became one of an elite few to have 3000 hits.

What made it especially good for me was that previous to this game I heard some prominent people on radio sports talk try and make the case that he should not be in the all-star game based on his performance this year. I'm just glad that the fans put him there.

Yeah, and he quickly gave those same fans that voted him into the All Star game a great big middle finger salute by not going to the game. Classy. Jeter and A-roid are quite a pair.

I can guarantee you that if the All Star game had been in NY they both would have been playing in the game.
(07-11-2011, 02:40 PM)BeerMe Wrote:
(07-11-2011, 02:28 PM)tvguy Wrote: OK I'm a big fan O Derick Jeeter and I know many aren't so much because he's a Yankee. But like him or not you must be able to appreciate his all-star game in which he not only went five for five and not only became one of an elite few to have 3000 hits.

Yeah, and he quickly gave those same fans that voted him into the All Star game a great big middle finger salute by not going to the game. Classy. Jeter and A-roid are quite a pair.

I can guarantee you that if the All Star game had been in NY they both would have been playing in the game.

It figures I would hear from a Yankee hater first. You don't know why Jeeter makes the decisions he does so don't pretend you do.

yankee hater second too.
Probably Jealous, you're a cubs fan huh?
jealous of what? All Kcer's by definition are Yankee haters because of history.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQEqsQkxVqvdKTY_FIrhWd...HnpVFluQjA]
And Cubs fan? No never. I'm an American League fan all the way.
(07-11-2011, 03:29 PM)bbqboy Wrote: jealous of what? All Kcer's by definition are Yankee haters because of history.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQEqsQkxVqvdKTY_FIrhWd...HnpVFluQjA]
And Cubs fan? No never. I'm an American League fan all the way.

Yeah I get it but I just don't play that game. I grew up in Ohio but I'm not a reds fan or and Indians fan.
I figure none of these ball players know me from Adam so I root for teams that I pick each year.
I don't dislike any team and I especially don't dislike them just because they have a shit load of wins or someone spent a lot of money putting the team together.

I like talent and I like class. This thread is about a guy who has a lot of both.
As soon as they aren't yankees, I'm all for them. Its not the players, but the yankees dominance that sucks.
(07-11-2011, 04:06 PM)bbqboy Wrote: As soon as they aren't yankees, I'm all for them. Its not the players, but the yankees dominance that sucks.

Well that's quite a common feeling but one that I don't share. They wouldn't be dominate as a team so often if they weren't the best of the best. I like the Red sox alsoRazz
too much $$$
Derek Jeter rules.
He is nothing like A-Rod.
He's a gentleman and a team player.
There should be a lot more Jeters in pro ball.
Until the day Joe Torre stepped down, Derek addressed him as Mr. Torre.
It is so pathetic when one can't appreciate his feat because of his team!
Because the team has money, fer crying out loud.
It's the house that Ruth built..get over yourselves. Smiling

I ? Derek Jeter!

[Image: derek_jeter1256829277.jpg]
Kansas City was the yankees farm team for many years til the A's came to town, then Arnold Johnson traded away all our budding stars to the Yankees. Miserable. Then the yankees/royals playoff series for many years. I have ample grounds for hate.
(07-11-2011, 05:30 PM)bbqboy Wrote: Kansas City was the yankees farm team for many years til the A's came to town, then Arnold Johnson traded away all our budding stars to the Yankees. Miserable. Then the yankees/royals playoff series for many years. I have ample grounds for hate.

But Derek Jeter is a prince among men, a rose among thorns.
He is a symbol for everything's that's good about baseball and America.
Now that I'm back on the Left Coast, I cheer for the SFGiants and The Freak...but I will always admire Mr. Jeter. ?
I don't like the Yankees. Never have. Jeter seems like a decent sort BUT it's all an act. If he really cared about what was best for the Yankees and their fans, he would have moved over and let A-Rod play SS. Jeter is all about Jeter. Period.

For the record... A-Rod is an asshole, too.
(07-11-2011, 07:34 PM)GoCometsGo Wrote: I don't like the Yankees. Never have. Jeter seems like a decent sort BUT it's all an act. If he really cared about what was best for the Yankees and their fans, he would have moved over and let A-Rod play SS. Jeter is all about Jeter. Period.

The first sentence of your post takes the credibility away from the point you try and make in the second.

If Jeter was all about Jeter his team mates would know it but instead I believe they recognize him as the leader he is. He is the captain of the Yankee's and while that may be just an honorary title they sure as hell have gone a long way with him as their leader.
If you love baseball, you just can't help but admire Mr. Jeter. No, I'm not a Yankee fan, nor am I a Yankee hater. I'm pretty much neutral because I'm a Giant's fan and like the National League game more. (I don't like the DH).

But Derek Jeter is a class act, has been for his entire baseball career, and I was really happy that his 3,000 hit came in such dramatic fashion. It's good for him, and good for the game.

True, he is getting older. True, he got off this year to a slow start. His body is breaking down, (so to keep that calf injury safe he will not be at the All Star Game). We have plenty of younger guys we want to watch at the All Star Game anyway. But make no mistake, he is an all star. (Check out his defensive numbers this year...even a step slower, he is as solid as they come).

So Bravo Mr. Jeter. If the Yankee organization is clever they will include him in some capacity after he leaves the field.

(07-11-2011, 07:34 PM)GoCometsGo Wrote: I don't like the Yankees. Never have. Jeter seems like a decent sort BUT it's all an act.

That is just nonsense. I'm sorry.
I lived in NYC for 10 years...I've seen the community work he does, the respect he shows his parents, his absolute purity regarding steroid use...and, most importantly, the respect his team members give him.

I know, if you lived in NYC, you would be a Mets fan. Rolling Eyes Laughing Wink

(07-11-2011, 07:34 PM)GoCometsGo Wrote: I don't like the Yankees. Never have. Jeter seems like a decent sort BUT it's all an act. If he really cared about what was best for the Yankees and their fans, he would have moved over and let A-Rod play SS. Jeter is all about Jeter. Period.

GcG, that's a good point about Jeter/A-Rod. A-Rod probably does have the better arm, and the general rule in baseball is that best arm plays Short if he can field that position. All things considered, the Yankee's felt that Jeter was a more consistent S/stop. A/Rod over the years made spectacular plays but booted a few too many routine plays. (Not saying he was not a great S/Stop). And A/Rob was willing to learn 3rd base. Give him points for that. He has become a damn fine fielder at "the hot corner".

As for A-Rob being an asshole. Okay, he has put his foot in his mouth too many times. He is very much about ego. Still, they guy can has "all five skills", is headed for the Hall of Fame and if we only see him as a ballplayer, we see one of the greats of our time. Give him that.

That team is as good up the middle as it gets!

Too bad the Socks are going to win the pennant. By 6 games. Laughing

(07-11-2011, 08:26 PM)Crone Wrote:
(07-11-2011, 07:34 PM)GoCometsGo Wrote: I don't like the Yankees. Never have. Jeter seems like a decent sort BUT it's all an act.

That is just nonsense. I'm sorry.
I lived in NYC for 10 years...I've seen the community work he does, the respect he shows his parents, his absolute purity regarding steroid use...and, most importantly, the respect his team members give him.

I know, if you lived in NYC, you would be a Mets fan. Rolling Eyes Laughing Wink

Well Crone, if I lived in NY, I'd HAVE to be a Met's fan. They play baseball the way it was meant to be played...you wear a glove, by God you take your turn at bat.
(Still, might make my way over to the Bronx once in a while).

Right on WonkBig Grin
This one single play by Jeeter won me over. I liked the fact that Jeeter was determined to make that out regardless of the fact that he had to know landing on stadium seats at full speed was gonna hurt, or worseBig Grin
I remember thinking that other players on the team could have made that play and maybe even easier. They Didn't, Jeeter did.No wonder they look up to him.Smiling