Cultural differences. What's it for you?
(07-16-2011, 05:51 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(07-16-2011, 05:31 PM)tvguy Wrote:
Quote:Bmom... And the funny thing is that it is hard to find a good cup of coffee.

Wow really? there's a coffee joint on every freaking corner and none of it's any good?Rolling EyesRolling Eyes

I wouldn't know I'll drink anything hot in the morning if it has enough sugar and cream. Smiling

Doesn't she mean there isn't any decent coffee there, where she is, as opposed to good out here in the NW where Coffee is a big deal?
I'm sure she does. The NW is famous for good coffee. I was in New Orleans and tried coffee with chicory OMG yuck. Anyone else ever tried it?
(07-16-2011, 07:02 PM)cletus1 Wrote: I'm sure she does. The NW is famous for good coffee. I was in New Orleans and tried coffee with chicory OMG yuck. Anyone else ever tried it?

Had it a few times while on the bad(east) coast. Never cared for it.
(07-16-2011, 07:11 PM)Simon Peter Wrote:
(07-16-2011, 07:02 PM)cletus1 Wrote: I'm sure she does. The NW is famous for good coffee. I was in New Orleans and tried coffee with chicory OMG yuck. Anyone else ever tried it?

"They" tell me that started during the great depression. A way to make the coffee go further. I drank it a couple of times in St. Louis. Not that great in my opinion.

Should Google it before posting. Lazy is as lazy does.

Quote:Bmom... And the funny thing is that it is hard to find a good cup of coffee.

Wow really? there's a coffee joint on every freaking corner and none of it's any good?Rolling EyesRolling Eyes

I wouldn't know I'll drink anything hot in the morning if it has enough sugar and cream. Smiling

We do not have a coffee joint on every corner here. Of course we have the gas station coffee, but I really miss Dutch Brothers.

We have a grocery store like Sherms I shop at, and the produce is the same quality. But I can find things here that I never could in Oregon. But Oregon does have things I like, but I like the schools here better. You can get much more house here for your money. And there are new shopping centers opening all the time.

I am also in the midwest now. WE are so dry here it is unreal.
(07-16-2011, 07:57 PM)Wonky Wrote:
(07-16-2011, 07:11 PM)Simon Peter Wrote:

"They" tell me that started during the great depression. A way to make the coffee go further. I drank it a couple of times in St. Louis. Not that great in my opinion.

Should Google it before posting. Lazy is as lazy does.
during the world's fair?
(07-16-2011, 08:07 PM)blondemom Wrote:

We do not have a coffee joint on every corner here. Of course we have the gas station coffee, but I really miss Dutch Brothers.

We have a grocery store like Sherms I shop at, and the produce is the same quality. But I can find things here that I never could in Oregon. But Oregon does have things I like, but I like the schools here better. You can get much more house here for your money. And there are new shopping centers opening all the time.

One of the best things about moving around the country or the world is you can bring others ideas to your new area. I would look at opening a "Blonde Mom's Coffee Hut" and see where it takes you.....Wink

http://www.cornerstonemanufacturing.com/index.html

(07-16-2011, 10:25 PM)Valuesize Wrote:

One of the best things about moving around the country or the world is you can bring others ideas to your new area. I would look at opening a "Blonde Mom's Coffee Hut" and see where it takes you.....Wink

http://www.cornerstonemanufacturing.com/index.html

You joke about that, but I have found a location, I am trying to find a coffee supplier you know something that makes me unique.

Are there ANY coffee kiosks out there? Or would starting one be completely unique and original for the region?
Right. You might not have to go topless to get business. Although in the bible belt that might help too. Smiling
(07-17-2011, 05:39 AM)Juniper Wrote:

Are there ANY coffee kiosks out there? Or would starting one be completely unique and original for the region?
There are a few starbucks here, and we have a ton of waffle houses. But the coffee kiosk like OR has is not heard of.
heard a funny radio story about denver having more pot stores than starbucks.
It was about their alternative newspaper westworld having a pot critic who visits the places like a restaurant critic would.
How funny
Over 300 stores. Unlike Oregon where they masquerade as "clinics', these are simple retail operations like any other store. You have to have your card, but they have deals just like a car dealer or sporting goods store would.
For a little extra you can get it spritzed with undercoating?
Roast from green coffee Smiling

I dunno, I grew up on the west coast but spent enough time in the rest of the country get some good experience. I always disliked the south, everyone was very polite to your face but I always got the sense that it was more fake then anything else, required behavior and not a true attempt at being nice. New York City, well- just rude. The rest of the NE, usually nice but rather disengaged until they know you. Midwest... insular.. nice as long as you fit the mold.
(07-17-2011, 09:25 AM)reelo Wrote: Roast from green coffee Smiling

I dunno, I grew up on the west coast but spent enough time in the rest of the country get some good experience. I always disliked the south, everyone was very polite to your face but I always got the sense that it was more fake then anything else, required behavior and not a true attempt at being nice. New York City, well- just rude. The rest of the NE, usually nice but rather disengaged until they know you. Midwest... insular.. nice as long as you fit the mold.

Midwest. Mold?
Well, maybe.
An example: Calvin Trillin. A man of letters from Kansas City.
Harry Truman of course.
Miles Davis.
Thomas Edison
...and on and on.

We might want to be careful about that "fit the mold thing".
But...
It is curious that most of those people I listed left the Midwest to settle in more urban and cosmopolitan centers.

Except Warren Buffett. And many more I'm sure.

I remain sensitive about the "fit the mold thing".

Keep in mind, I grew up in an area where everyone was different- mixed marriages, mixed religions, mixed colors.... The whole nine yards.

Going back to St. Louis and the mindwest, even now, I get reminded that not every one is used to those differences. For someone like me- red hair, pale skin and Catholic- I can be pretty comfortable but even my sister with her vegan ways has across some problems and out right rudeness for being different.

Trust me, going from the San Francisco Bay Area to the midwest is a bit of a rude shock Wink I remember getting in trouble with my uncle because my brother and I just assumed Bert and Ernie were a couple, why couldn't they be? Not an issue for me even at 7- we had a gay couple for neighbors- but completely scandalous to mention there. Don't even get me started on the whole pot in Scooby-Doo thing.
(07-17-2011, 12:29 PM)reelo Wrote: Keep in mind, I grew up in an area where everyone was different- mixed marriages, mixed religions, mixed colors.... The whole nine yards.

Going back to St. Louis and the mindwest, even now, I get reminded that not every one is used to those differences. For someone like me- red hair, pale skin and Catholic- I can be pretty comfortable but even my sister with her vegan ways has across some problems and out right rudeness for being different.

Trust me, going from the San Francisco Bay Area to the midwest is a bit of a rude shock Wink I remember getting in trouble with my uncle because my brother and I just assumed Bert and Ernie were a couple, why couldn't they be? Not an issue for me even at 7- we had a gay couple for neighbors- but completely scandalous to mention there. Don't even get me started on the whole pot in Scooby-Doo thing.

I'm gonna stay with my "it's not the mold" thing.
I lived in San Francisco for 10 years.
I knew some really out of touch mouth breathers there.
I also knew some cosmopolitan, informed, interesting and aware folks.

I once worked for a guy who owned a feed store. (food for cows, etc). He wore bib overhauls, boots, and a felt hat. He could also have an intelligent conversation about Emerson, electrical theory, the example of the Spartans, name most of the plants in the region and enjoyed fine wine.

For what it's worth.