Word game
(07-15-2011, 11:06 AM)cletus1 Wrote:
(07-14-2011, 09:40 PM)Juniper Wrote: Some of these replies are so enlightening about individuals!

Oh yeah? The what what have you learned about me Dr. Juni? Wink

Clete, I printed out your response to show it to my friend Dr. Laura Sophenhiemer.
She only spent four minutes with it and said it was obvious you are a woman trapped in the body of another woman, who is trapped in the body of a man who lived a previous life as a galley slave. She wondered if you can tie your own shoes, and if you know which way is up.
She said that on the other hand you most likely have a gift for growing garden produce that goes to waste.

The evaluation cost 50 large. You owe me.

Another word game.

What does a cow have four of that a woman has two of?

What's a four letter word meaning intercourse?

....damn: Thought I'd be able to remember. There are at least 6 of these. Anyone remember the rest?
(07-15-2011, 06:27 PM)Wonky Wrote:
(07-14-2011, 09:40 PM)Juniper Wrote: Some of these replies are so enlightening about individuals!

Clete, I printed out your response to show it to my friend Dr. Laura Sophenhiemer.
She only spent four minutes with it and said it was obvious you are a woman trapped in the body of another woman, who is trapped in the body of a man who lived a previous life as a galley slave. She wondered if you can tie your own shoes, and if you know which way is up.
She said that on the other hand you most likely have a gift for growing garden produce that goes to waste.

Can I pay you in zucchini?
(07-16-2011, 05:05 PM)cletus1 Wrote:
(07-15-2011, 06:27 PM)Wonky Wrote:

Can I pay you in zucchini?

Hell no!
Zucchini grows like weeds for cyin' out loud.
Cherry tomatoes buddy, those sweet little fruits that are more precious.

Hey, do you know the rest of that thing I posted above? I can't.

LATER: Never mind. Found it. See next post.
What is it that a cow has four of and a woman has only two of?

What four-letter word begins with F and ends with K?

What does a dog do that you step into every morning?

What is it that all men have one of; it's longer on some men than on others; the pope doesn't use his; and a man gives it to his wife after they're married?
So here are the listed replies to the first word that comes to your minds when thinking of the USA:

Excess, highways, success, spoiled, stubborn, judgmental, Chicken Fried Steak, greedy, Military Industrial Complex

Does the list say a lot about our country or about our membership? or something else? If this is a true representation of the public in general, I'm shocked that we have so many people that are still here.

(07-16-2011, 07:29 PM)GoCometsGo Wrote: So here are the listed replies to the first word that comes to your minds when thinking of the USA:

Excess, highways, success, spoiled, stubborn, judgmental, Chicken Fried Steak, greedy, Military Industrial Complex

Does the list say a lot about our country or about our membership? or something else? If this is a true representation of the public in general, I'm shocked that we have so many people that are still here.

People that are still here on the forum or people that are still in the USA?
(07-16-2011, 07:36 PM)rainylady Wrote:
(07-16-2011, 07:29 PM)GoCometsGo Wrote: So here are the listed replies to the first word that comes to your minds when thinking of the USA:

Both.

As I said, if these, (mostly negative), first thoughts are any indication of how the general population feels, then it's a wonder that we don't have more people leaving.

But I don't think it IS a true representation of the pulse of our citizenship. I do find it to be very representative of the membership here at the RVF.

I'd guess one of our virtues is our ability to not take ourselves too seriously, to be slightly self-depreciating and realistic in our attitudes.
Some of our excess are okay. Nothing wrong with too much boutique coffee.
we are spoiled. We know it. We love it. None of us want to live in poverty.
Stubborn: You bet your sweet ass! It's how we won the war in the Pacific.
Judgmental. Guilty as charged. When we see human right abuses we judge them.
What's wrong with chicken fried steak once in a while?
We are greedy. Not good, that. We should work on it.
We do have an "Industrial Military Complex" that we continue to struggle with.

We stay because we love the place. We are willing to die to defend it. We honor those basic things that we seldom wear on our sleeves: The rule of law, our beloved constitution, Disneyland, President Obama...the first man of color who is Chief Executive Officer of any industrial western country. We love Ben and Jerry's, Ford pickup trucks, our flag, and so much more it would take pages to explain.

It was a simple little game. It was fun. It did reveal something about us, but it was not a defining statement about anyone.

We are Americans, and we come in all different shapes and colors. And when push comes to shove, we put on the uniforms of the United States of America and march into harms way to defend what we love.

Yea. Chicken fried steak. And Apple pie. And dissent. All that.

It's what we are.

The best people on the face of the planet.

(07-16-2011, 07:51 PM)Wonky Wrote:

I'd guess one of our virtues is our ability to not take ourselves too seriously, to be slightly self-depreciating and realistic in our attitudes.
Some of our excess are okay. Nothing wrong with too much boutique coffee.
we are spoiled. We know it. We love it. None of us want to live in poverty.
Stubborn: You bet your sweet ass! It's how we won the war in the Pacific.
Judgmental. Guilty as charged. When we see human right abuses we judge them.
What's wrong with chicken fried steak once in a while?
We are greedy. Not good, that. We should work on it.
We do have an "Industrial Military Complex" that we continue to struggle with.

We stay because we love the place. We are willing to die to defend it. We honor those basic things that we seldom wear on our sleeves: The rule of law, our beloved constitution, Disneyland, President Obama...the first man of color who is Chief Executive Officer of any industrial western country. We love Ben and Jerry's, Ford pickup trucks, our flag, and so much more it would take pages to explain.

It was a simple little game. It was fun. It did reveal something about us, but it was not a defining statement about anyone.

We are Americans, and we come in all different shapes and colors. And when push comes to shove, we put on the uniforms of the United States of America and march into harms way to defend what we love.

Yea. Chicken fried steak. And Apple pie. And dissent. All that.

It's what we are.

The best people on the face of the planet.

I understand that some replies were not serious. However, I was surprised at the almost complete absence of a patriotic sounding reply.... tvguy's "success" being the lone entry that I found to be positive.

(07-16-2011, 07:43 PM)GoCometsGo Wrote:

Both.

As I said, if these, (mostly negative), first thoughts are any indication of how the general population feels, then it's a wonder that we don't have more people leaving.

But I don't think it IS a true representation of the pulse of our citizenship. I do find it to be very representative of the membership here at the RVF.

I think it's more reflective of the news that is on the web. Most of the forum members read and their opinions are formed based on that stuff. The reporters are very biased and stupid and we are only reading their crap. The general population (who read less and less) are probably more content than our forum members with the system they got running for themselves.

Well, what does it say? And what is your list?
(07-16-2011, 07:59 PM)rainylady Wrote:

Both.

I think it's more reflective of the news that is on the web. Most of the forum members read and their opinions are formed based on that stuff. The reporters are very biased and stupid and we are only reading their crap. The general population (who read less and less) are probably more content than our forum members with the system they got running for themselves.

you think reporters are very biased and stupid?
That is pretty much the anti definition of a reporter.
No one is content these days....except for you, since you have it made.
(07-16-2011, 07:59 PM)Juniper Wrote:

I don't really like to judge places that I've never been and aside of the USA and Mexico, I've never been to any of these places.... but I'll play along:

USA - Great country with a great history. I think the USA haters of the world have a "but what have you done for me lately" attitude

UK - Awful food

India - filthy

Japan - smart

Middle East- turmoil

China- brutal

France- ungrateful

Canada- mild

Thailand-jungle

Turkey- nothing comes to mind

Italy- smelly

Greek- hairy

Mexico- poor

Germany- the only country listed that I'd like to visit

Russia- drab

Ireland- grass

Egypt- desert

Antarctica- cold

Israel- target

Ethiopia- starving

you, along with rl, watch too much tv.

Both.

No other countries want us, at least not any that are worth going to.
I think you find it funny you thought that I meant stubborn as a bad thing. We as a country pretty much do what we want when we want. It actually is a good thing. WE have our standards. I happen to be very proud of our country and very glad that I am from it.
(07-16-2011, 08:22 PM)GoCometsGo Wrote:

I don't really like to judge places that I've never been and aside of the USA and Mexico, I've never been to any of these places.... but I'll play along:

USA - Great country with a great history. I think the USA haters of the world have a "but what have you done for me lately" attitude

UK - Awful food

India - filthy

Japan - smart

Middle East- turmoil

China- brutal

France- ungrateful

Canada- mild

Thailand-jungle

Italy- smelly

Greek- hairy

Mexico- poor

Russia- drab

Ireland- grass

Egypt- desert

Antarctica- cold

Israel- target

Ethiopia- starving

Oh my goodness! I think if we look at the word "Xenophobic" in the dictionary, we might just find your picture in there, Go Comet.Big Grin
It really wasn't meant as a judgement game. Lots of people just think of regional foods or weather. I still think we learn a lot about people though. UK Awful food??
(07-17-2011, 05:09 AM)blondemom Wrote: I think you find it funny you thought that I meant stubborn as a bad thing. We as a country pretty much do what we want when we want. It actually is a good thing. WE have our standards. I happen to be very proud of our country and very glad that I am from it.

I didn't necessarily think that you meant stubborn as bad or good. To me, "stubborn" defines as sticking to one's position even beyond reason. I'm not saying that the USA has never done this, but it's not anywhere near the top of my list when I think about our country.

(07-17-2011, 05:34 AM)Juniper Wrote:
(07-16-2011, 08:22 PM)GoCometsGo Wrote:

UK - Awful food

India - filthy

Japan - smart

Middle East- turmoil

China- brutal

France- ungrateful

Canada- mild

Thailand-jungle

Italy- smelly

Greek- hairy

Mexico- poor

Russia- drab

Ireland- grass

Egypt- desert

Antarctica- cold

Israel- target

Ethiopia- starving

Oh my goodness! I think if we look at the word "Xenophobic" in the dictionary, we might just find your picture in there, Go Comet.Big Grin
It really wasn't meant as a judgement game. Lots of people just think of regional foods or weather. I still think we learn a lot about people though. UK Awful food??

I had to look up xenophobic. Fear of foreigners??? Just because I think that India is filthy doesn't mean that I am afraid of people from that country. Not hardly. Also, there are plenty of countries and places that I would love to visit... just not many of them on the list shown. And even if my, (totally unfounded) first thoughts of those countries are based on TV documentaries or news shows... none of those words that I chose equates to "fear", IMHO.