Medford - 4-Alarm Fire
http://twitter.com/KDRV

Quote:BREAKING NEWS: 4-alarm structure fire at 1027 W. 10th Street in Medford. Fire and emergency crews currently on scene.
Quote:Emergency crews are battling to save six people pulled from a burning home on West 10th Street in Medford.

The fire was reported around 9:30 a.m. and firefighters quickly called for additional resources. They have gone to a fourth alarm and summoned multiple ambulances and a police chaplain.

Emergency medical providers can be seen giving CPR to six people, including children and adults, in the front yard of the home at 1027 W. 10th St.

We'll have more details as soon as they are available.
[Image: bilde?Site=MM&Date=20110718&Category=NEW...1&border=0]

http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll.../107180334
http://kdrv.com/page/218339

Quote:6 people were pulled from the burning home. It was a single-family home. CPR was performed on the victims before they were transported to an area hospital. It has been confirmed that a chaplain has been asked to respond.

Neighboring homes have been evacuated. 10th Street between Orange Street and Hamilton Street is currently blocked. That includes the alley Power from the home has been disconnected.

Multiple angencies have responded. Medford Fire is investigating the case.

The fire has been extinguished, but firefighters are still concentrating on hotspots.
I hope we don't find out some cheap ass landlord didn't have smoke detectors in his rental.
I hope some cheap ass tenant didn't steal the batteries, as typically happens when they're not hotwired in. I think the law requires both now, and recently a carbon monoxide detector too.
(07-18-2011, 12:01 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I hope some cheap ass tenant didn't steal the batteries, as typically happens when they're not hotwired in. I think the law requires both now, and recently a carbon monoxide detector too.

No the law does not require "hotwired" or what you mean to say is hardwired. Plus the smoke detectors that are now required have ten year batteries and I'm not sure about the law but there are SD's that you can't remove the battery. IMO that should be required for any rental.

Also I don't think anyone is required to have a carbon monoxide detector unless there is a source for carbon monoxide.
Is this the same fire?

Quote:Police say a woman and four children who were pulled out of a smoky west Medford home died of stab wounds and smoke inhalation. A man who was also pulled out of the home is still alive, they said during a press conference this afternoon. More details will be released as they are made available.

http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll...F110719962
http://www.kmtr.com/news/local/story/Med..._XqMw.cspx

Quote:A mother and her four young children who were pulled from a burning house on Monday had stab wounds and died at the hospital, and the father was under police watch.

Authorities said medics initially treated the victims on the lawn of the small house for smoke inhalation, but it later became clear the victims had also been stabbed. They were all pronounced dead after being taken to a local hospital. Autopsies are pending, and police were searching for the weapon used to stab the victims.

The 51-year-old father, who was also taken to the hospital, was not immediately charged, said Police Chief Tim George.

"He is not free to leave, let's put it that way," George said, adding that he did not think neighbors had anything to fear from a killer at large.

George characterized the fire as arson and the deaths of the 30-year-old woman, her sons aged 7, 6, and 5, and her 2-year-old daughter as homicides.

"We do know there was out of the five deceased, a combination of stab wounds and smoke inhalation in all of them," he said.

Their names were withheld until family members were notified.

A man at the house called in a missing person report for the mother earlier in the morning. Police said she returned unharmed after being located a few blocks away.
I expect this to go national. Husband in jealous rage murders four children and wife.
Or something to that affect.
This is just sad and disgusting. I will never understand what some people do.
(07-18-2011, 11:56 AM)tvguy Wrote: I hope we don't find out some cheap ass landlord didn't have smoke detectors in his rental.
We know now there was more to the story. Sad FYI: It is a rental as they have released the names of the occupants and they are not the same as the owners of the house.
This is on the national news now. http://news.yahoo.com/police-believe-ore...25z;_ylv=3

Police believe Oregon father killed wife, 4 kids

"MEDFORD, Ore. (AP) — Police believe a 51-year-old Oregon man stabbed his wife and their four young children and set fire to their house on Monday, killing all five victims. The man was hospitalized as authorities tried to piece together the frantic scene.

Firefighters using CPR tried to revive the family members, and managed to get a pulse from at least two of the children as they lay on the lawn in front of their home, said Police Chief Tim George.

"The front yard looked like it was a plane crash or something, the people working on those folks," George said.

Rescuers quickly realized it wasn't just smoke inhalation they were dealing with and rushed the 30-year-old mother and the children — ages 2, 5, 6 and 7 — to the hospital.

But all five died. The father was also taken to the hospital, where he was sedated in stable condition and under police guard, George said. Police believe he killed his family, but did not immediately charge him.

"That is the suspicion right now — the fellow we have up at the hospital under guard is responsible," said George.

Though autopsies will not be done for a day or two, it is believe the five dead were all stabbed and suffered smoke inhalation, police said.

Investigators were getting a new search warrant before going back into the house Tuesday to gather more evidence, George said.

The house is a small, plain one-story structure in a working class neighborhood of older homes, some of them undergoing renovation, several blocks from downtown in this city of about 75,000 in Southern Oregon's timber country.

The father was identified as Jordan Adam Criado, 51, and his wife as Tabasha Paige-Criado, 30. The names of the children, three boys aged 7, 6 and 5, and a 2-year-old daughter, were not immediately released.

Some neighbors said they thought Criado, who spoke with an accent, was a single dad, devoted to his children, and worked as a "shade-tree mechanic," fixing cars out of his home. A maroon minivan sat in the driveway with a broken transmission.

A public records database shows that Criado has had addresses in Medford, and the nearby cities White City and Central Point since 2007. The records also show addresses in Sacramento, Bakersfield and Salinas before 2000, but nothing in the intervening years.

About two weeks ago, Criado and his wife could be heard arguing loudly late at night, said Chris Bennett, 23, an Oregon National Guard infantryman who lives three doors down.

"He just bluntly told her, 'Hey, you need to calm down, the kids are asleep,'" Bennett said.

"It was always her yelling," said Bennett's fiance, Shilo Croswell, 22. "Anytime we saw him it was just him and the kids. Then we saw this woman. She kept asking him who we were, and he was not responding because he was talking to us."

Bennett said last year his car broke down in front of Criado's house, and Criado advised him to check the fuses. One was burnt out and Criado gave him a replacement and wouldn't take any money for it.

Bennett said the 7-year-old boy was a good student, and once said he hoped to be a doctor.

Earlier in the morning of the fire, Criado called police to report his wife missing, said George. Officers located her a few blocks away at a convenience store, and gave her a ride home, George said.

"They both met and conversed," George added. "What happened between 7:30 and 9:30 in roughly a two-hour time span is what we are trying to figure out right now."

At around 9 a.m., Calvin Kennedy said he and other neighbors saw smoke coming out of the house and contacted police and firefighters, who had to don breathing apparatus to enter the smoke-filled house.

"When I first saw it, all I could do was cry," Jennifer Backes told the Medford Mail Tribune as she watched the rescue efforts.

"Never saw any trouble," Kennedy said. "It's just sad."
From the story it seems to me the woman was the volatile one of the two.
The story did make it sound like that. But if the woman only yells, but when the man snaps he stabs his family to death and sets the house on fire, who really was the volatile one here? Mind you, we don't have proof that's what happened, but that's what it's sounding like here.
If only she hadn't yelled at him that one last time, this all could have been prevented? Where is Illc when we need him? Smiling
(07-18-2011, 08:54 PM)PonderThis Wrote: If only she hadn't yelled at him that one last time, this all could have been prevented? Where is Illc when we need him? Smiling

We should not jump to any conclusions; the article says the police believe that he stabbed them but just to add a twist, perhaps she stabbed the children in a fit and he killed her out of rage for her actions. After all, from the articles she does sound the more volatile.

Whatever, infanticide and killing innocent people are two of the worst crimes imaginable except in times of war where it is excused as the cost of doing business.

Excellent points.
Quote:Suspect in 10th Street Killings is a Sex Offender

July 19, 2011

The man who police suspect killed his wife and four children Monday in their west Medford home was a convicted child molester in California who served prison time for those crimes more than 20 years ago, court records show.

Jordan Adam Criado, 51, was sentenced to 20 years in California state prison after pleading guilty in October 1990 in Sacramento County to eight felony counts of lewd conduct with a child under the age of 14, according to court records.

Criado was originally charged there in December 1989 with 36 felonies in the case, Sacramento County court records show. It was not immediately clear today how long he served in prison.

Criado was arrested in October 2005 in Medford on a warrant issued out of Bakersfield, Calif., where he was wanted on a charge of failing to register as a sex offender, Jackson County court records show.

That warrant alleges Criado that year fled to Jackson County, where he later waived extradition and was sent back to Bakersfield to face the charge, records show.

There was no information immediately available today about the outcome of that case.

Criado is suspected of stabbing his wife and four children before setting his west 10th Street house on fire Monday, killing all but himself in the single largest homicide case in Jackson County history.

Killed were his wife, Tabasha Paige-Criado, 30, along with four children whose identities have not yet been positively identified by investigators.

Several sources and school records have identified the Criados' eldest children as 7-year-old Elijah and 6-year-old Isaac. Tabasha Paige-Criado's Facebook page also listed her other children as 5-year-old Andrew and 2-year-old Aurora Elizabeth.

Jordan Criado was listed in critical condition this morning at Rogue Valley Medical Center, where he was being treated for smoke inhalation and in police custody. He has not been arrested nor charged with any crimes stemming from the stabbings and fire.

http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll.../107190327
(07-18-2011, 12:25 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(07-18-2011, 12:01 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I hope some cheap ass tenant didn't steal the batteries, as typically happens when they're not hotwired in. I think the law requires both now, and recently a carbon monoxide detector too.

No the law does not require "hotwired" or what you mean to say is hardwired. Plus the smoke detectors that are now required have ten year batteries and I'm not sure about the law but there are SD's that you can't remove the battery. IMO that should be required for any rental.

Also I don't think anyone is required to have a carbon monoxide detector unless there is a source for carbon monoxide.

Since April all rentals that have an attached garage, wood stove, pellet stove or that has any natural gas hook-ups must have carbon monoxide detectors.
I admit to not having followed this closely.

I wonder about the times in which we live. I have no real information about hard times and awful story' like this. I can't help but wonder if difficult financial hardships don't add to the stress that makes these things happen.

I'm labeled as a "progressive liberal". So be it. I will pay taxes that help people during times like this, hoping that just maybe my contributions will make some difference.
I have no idea what it's like to be extremely wealthy. I'd like to think that if I were, I'd want to make some sacrifice to make the general society more secure.

And maybe this kind of attitude is simply not worth the time to type it or read it.

I want to think "No man is an island", and we really are connected in many ways.

Such a sad story, this. I hope to never read another local story like it.