In Oregon case, women's word is enough to get birth certificate for son, court says
http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northw...ays_w.html

Excerpt: "Nicolaza Eusiquio was living in a North Plains-area migrant camp in January 2005 when she gave birth to a boy -- an event attended only by her cousin. Eusiquio received no prenatal care and sought no medical attention after her son's birth. For months afterward, Eusiquio hardly left her cousin's home.

She sought a birth certificate from the Oregon Center for Health Statistics more than a year later, offering only her word and that of her cousin as proof that the boy was born here.

The state registrar turned down Eusiquio's request for a delayed birth certificate -- certificates issued more than a year after birth -- saying the mother needed documentation showing she was in Oregon at the time of her child's birth. A Marion County Circuit Court agreed; Eusiquio's son was not entitled to an Oregon birth certificate.

But earlier this year, in a highly unusual case, the Oregon Court of Appeals overturned the lower court's decision, saying statements from Eusiquio and her cousin were proof enough. It sent the case back to the trial court and, in essence, ordered that Eusiquio's son be issued an Oregon birth certificate.

On its face, the 10-page opinion is technical, dry and deals mostly with a detailed history of vital records rules in Oregon. But legal experts say the case underscores a birth certificate's growing importance as a gateway to American society in a post-9/11 world. Americans increasingly need birth certificates to do everything from obtain a driver's license to enroll in school.

And it comes at a time when some politicians have suggested that babies born in the United States to parents who are here illegally shouldn't automatically be U.S. citizens.

"What is remarkable is that this case occurs in the midst of a national outcry over immigration reform and the increasing importance of having a birth certificate to operate in our society," said Keith Cunningham-Parmeter, a professor at Willamette University's College of Law..." see article for more http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northw...ays_w.html
I know your post deals with a person who never had a birth certificate issued and that is apparently uncharted legal territory.

My friend who recently lost his birth certificate and most of his ID simply had to have someone provide an affidavit saying they knew who he was, along with their ID to get a copy of his birth certificate. Why do you have a problem with the honor system Ponder? Laughing
I had a friend who didn't get a birth cert for their child until she was 16 and wanted to drive. basically it was their word that she was born at home on such an such date.
(07-24-2011, 02:21 PM)cletus1 Wrote: I know your post deals with a person who never had a birth certificate issued and that is apparently uncharted legal territory.

My friend who recently lost his birth certificate and most of his ID simply had to have someone provide an affidavit saying they knew who he was, along with their ID to get a copy of his birth certificate. Why do you have a problem with the honor system Ponder? Laughing

Did I say I had a problem with the honor system? Actually I was throwing a bone to forum anti-immigrants here. Smiling
(07-24-2011, 05:38 PM)PonderThis Wrote:
(07-24-2011, 02:21 PM)cletus1 Wrote: I know your post deals with a person who never had a birth certificate issued and that is apparently uncharted legal territory.

Did I say I had a problem with the honor system? Actually I was throwing a bone to forum anti-immigrants here. Smiling

Anti immigrants huh? I think you mean anti illegal immigrants. Which is what I am and anyone with any common sense is also.
Tell us all about why we don't need borders again if you simply want to start shit.

IMO it's a no brainier that we can't simply take any mothers word for it that they were born here and therefore deserve to be a US citizen.

My brother and I were born in hospitals, with all the attending paperwork. And, that's the reason we aren't dead like our sisters. If I wasn't a matter of record, The Masons would have disolved me in lye, just like they did the twins. And, all over a simple case of mistaken identity.
(07-24-2011, 05:55 PM)tvguy Wrote: IMO it's a no brainier that we can't simply take any mothers word for it that they were born here and therefore deserve to be a US citizen.

Well, I guess your opinion isn't a matter of law, is it? The judge disagrees with you. Smiling
[Image: 162887_155987117781599_154008447979466_2...7087_n.jpg]
I don't know if I'm any relative of Geronimo and his band, but I know my family lived right accross the street from the guy at Turkey Creek. While he was on the warpath. How do you suppose they managed that? I'd sure like to know.
What concerns me is not necessarily the illegal immigration side but the side of other federal offences like kidnapping.

So you have someone steal a baby in another state, move to another and hide out for a bit and then apply for a birth certificate for the stolen baby. Makes their life a heck of a lot easier- how do you prove the kid isn't theirs if they have a birth certificate?

Of course, seeing as the birth certificate is the basis of most of our ID programs, from ss to drivers license, the fact that they can be made that easy to get is a little... not so reassuring.
(07-24-2011, 05:55 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(07-24-2011, 05:38 PM)PonderThis Wrote:

Anti immigrants huh? I think you mean anti illegal immigrants. Which is what I am and anyone with any common sense is also.
Tell us all about why we don't need borders again if you simply want to start shit.

IMO it's a no brainier that we can't simply take any mothers word for it that they were born here and therefore deserve to be a US citizen.

Weird.. I agree with TVguy.
(07-24-2011, 06:35 PM)illcommandante Wrote: My brother and I were born in hospitals, with all the attending paperwork. And, that's the reason we aren't dead like our sisters. If I wasn't a matter of record, The Masons would have disolved me in lye, just like they did the twins. And, all over a simple case of mistaken identity.

damn records.