Mom convicted in son’s jaywalking death: ‘This will never end for me’
This woman is going to jail because the bus stop is across the street from her apartment. Coming home late at night with 3 cold and hungry kids she decided to jaywalk across the street rather than walk 3/10 mile to a legal crosswalk. Unfortunately, a hit and run driver hit one of the kids when he hesitated. Is this a crime worth taking a mother away from her two other kids now? Good question. Oh, she's poor and black, if that helps any. Probably a single mother. http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/mom-...25z;_ylv=3

A Marietta, Ga., mom who was convicted of jaywalking after her 4-year-old son was run over and killed in a hit-and-run said on the Today Show that the worst part of going to jail would be the separation from her two remaining kids.

Raquel Nelson was convicted of homicide by vehicle and reckless conduct by a jury and faces sentencing tomorrow. She can receive up to a three-year jail sentence, six times the stretch that Jerry Guy--who admitted to drinking before running over Nelson's son, A.J.--served.

"I think to come after me so much harder than they did him is a slap in the face because this will never end for me," she said. "It's three years away from the two that I have left."

Nelson also said that the jury had "never been in my shoes," because each of them answered that they had never taken public transportation before. Nelson, who doesn't have a car, was three-tenths of a mile away from the nearest crosswalk when her bus dropped her off at the stop across the street from her apartment with her three children. She decided to cross with her kids rather than remain outside any later at night, she said..."
Are the kids over weight? I thought we only took fat kids
It's hard to believe that there is a max of 2 years in jail for freaking jay walking.:wacko:What's up with that? is that for someone who gets caught 300 times? But I think this mother is lucky that she is not being charged for the death of her child for negligence.
Right. Every trip she makes with her kids should begin and end with a 6/10 mile walk through a neighborhood that you don't know if is safe or not, when the bus stop is right across the street from her house.
(07-25-2011, 12:57 PM)PonderThis Wrote: Right. Every trip she makes with her kids should begin and end with a 6/10 mile walk through a neighborhood that you don't know if is safe or not, when the bus stop is right across the street from her house.

So I see, this woman has a dead child BECAUSE she didn't walk to a proper crossing and you are talking about the possible danger of her walking on a side walk?

Were you born with out logic or did you just lose it somewhere down the line. Do you know how many people could use your defense?
Your honor I jay walked because it wasn't safe to walk to a cross walk:wacko:

Quote:Right. Every trip she makes with her kids should begin and end with a 6/10 mile walk

It ends and begins with a 3/10th of a mile walk it a TOTAL of 6/10
I kind of like that one myself. Smiling

But I think you're right. If she lived any kind of decent life, she would have a car of her own and she'd just drive home and just park it in her driveway, cause she'd have a regular house like everyone else does and don't they all have driveways?. And if she was a better piece of ass she'd probably have some guy hanging around helping her too. I don't know what's with this woman. She never should have had kids at all. Send her to jail, I say. And her kids to foster care. I hope it's a white one for the kids sake.
(07-25-2011, 01:32 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I kind of like that one myself. Smiling

But I think you're right. If she lived any kind of decent life, she would have a car of her own and she'd just drive home and just park it in her driveway, cause she'd have a regular house like everyone else does and don't they all have driveways?. And if she was a better piece of ass she'd probably have some guy hanging around helping her too. I don't know what's with this woman. She never should have had kids at all. Send her to jail, I say. And her kids to foster care. I hope it's a white one for the kids sake.

Wow that a lot of tongue and cheek BS when ALL I'm saying is that she DID manage to get one of her kids killed by not obeying a law.
You can make excuses on her behalf all you want.

My money says that she she won't get two years for jay walking but instead she will get probation. The story is all hype because it's all what a judge COULD sentence her to.
Oh picky details, picky details. Smiling
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/U...6-11-23-38

Quote:A Georgia woman has received a year of probation in the jaywalking death of her 4-year-old son, but the judge is also giving her the rare chance to clear her name at a new trial.

Raquel Nelson was convicted by a jury this month of vehicular homicide after her son was struck as the family crossed a busy street north of Atlanta.

The judge gave Nelson a sentence on Tuesday that also includes 40 hours of community service, but he also made the unusual move of offering her a new trial. If she's found innocent, her record would be cleared.
(07-25-2011, 01:27 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(07-25-2011, 12:57 PM)PonderThis Wrote: Right. Every trip she makes with her kids should begin and end with a 6/10 mile walk through a neighborhood that you don't know if is safe or not, when the bus stop is right across the street from her house.

So I see, this woman has a dead child BECAUSE she didn't walk to a proper crossing and you are talking about the possible danger of her walking on a side walk?

Were you born with out logic or did you just lose it somewhere down the line. Do you know how many people could use your defense?
Your honor I jay walked because it wasn't safe to walk to a cross walk:wacko:

Quote:Right. Every trip she makes with her kids should begin and end with a 6/10 mile walk

It ends and begins with a 3/10th of a mile walk it a TOTAL of 6/10

I guess this math slipped by me the first time. Wrong. It's 3/10 mile to the crosswalk, whatever distance it is to cross the street, then another 3/10 mile back. 6/10 mile each trip one way either to the bus stop or back home. Do it both ways and that's a mile and a quarter walk every day to get from your doorstep to across the street. Good exercise for the poor.
You're right ponder. In order to obey the law AND to cross the street safely this woman and her kids had to walk a certain distance.

BTW I was right neener neener, she didn't get any jail time so this whole story was crapola made up my the media to sell papers or get TV viewers.

I wonder how much this woman and her mom were paid by the today show?

And YOU Ponder, you hyped it up just as bad as the media.. When you said...

This woman is going to jail because the bus stop is across the street from her apartment. Coming home late at night with 3 cold and hungry kids she decided to jaywalk across the street rather than walk 3/10 mile to a legal crosswalk

No one said this women is going to jail and where do you get this cold and hungry bullshit? it was springtime in freaking GEORGIA , the cops in the video had short sleeve shirtsLaughing
How do you know they were hungry? Am I going to hear they were barefoot and it was snowing next?Razz
Well, I had to paint a picture to get the story across. That's what it sounded like to me, and as they say, art is as it's viewed by the artist. Smiling
(07-26-2011, 09:52 AM)PonderThis Wrote: Well, I had to paint a picture to get the story across. That's what it sounded like to me, and as they say, art is as it's viewed by the artist. Smiling

Fair enough but I find it quite funny that you, the great TV hater who supposedly understands more than anyone else how advertising manipulates minds was sucked in to this hyped up Horse shit hook line and sinker.
What good would it do me to know psychological techniques of persuasion so well without being tempted to use them myself once in awhile? That's why I know to warn you guys so much!
(07-26-2011, 10:33 AM)PonderThis Wrote: What good would it do me to know psychological techniques of persuasion so well without being tempted to use them myself once in awhile? That's why I know to warn you guys so much!

You are the persuadee Laughing