Sleek velomobiles and 50 riders begin their cross country tour in Portland
Up to 40 mph on the flats, and faster downhill. I wonder how fast uphill? Smiling http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index...begin.html

[Image: velomobilejpg-714f945fd719e420.jpg]

Excerpt: "Velomobiles are recumbent bicycles with sleek, colorful outer shells that can rocket down a roadway with amazing speed and efficiency.

And for the next month 25 riders from Europe, and 25 riders from North America will travel from the west coast to the east coast, spreading their message that sustainable transportation can be fun.

Naturally,they’re starting their journey Thursday in Portland, “the city with the progressive bicycling agenda,” said organizer Tom Breedlove. They plan to complete their cross-country trip on the steps of the U.S. Capitol in Washington D.C. on August 26.

“These people are serious,’’ Breedlove said about the project known as Roll Over America, or ROAM. “Velomobiles and all other forms of human transportation can transform our mobility landscape.”

It cost about $40,000 to ship the velomobiles in shipping containers to the U.S. from Europe, he said.

Breedlove said ROAM is the largest and longest velomobile tour ever assembled. He said many of the European riders ride their sporty vehicles to work every day. Most of the velomobiles have two wheels in front, and one wheel in the rear, and can reach speeds on the flats of up to 40 mph, and much faster downhill. Some use parachutes to slow down. The vehicles weigh about 80 pounds.

“These velomobiles are the world‘s fastest road bikes for everyday use. Quite a few among us race them, but most of our mileage is on public roads and bikeways.”

...Breedlove said the velo pilots (or velonauts) will take the Springwater Corridor east towards Troutdale and the onto Interstate 84. Bicyclists are encouraged to join in for this first portion of the trip. Riders plan to ride a 100 miles or more each day."
I want one. I'm gonna put a stinky gas engine in it thoughRazz And then right right in front of all the other dudesLaughing

They can go up to 40 on flat ground... for how long??? and they can even go faster downhillConfused, what genius figured that one outRazz?
What I want to know for real.. what happens when there are very strong winds hitting you from the side?
I like the one the dude is passing everyone with.

Just a little two stroke off of a string trimmer. Or, maybe a golf cart battery slung under the chassis?
Those are the kinds of things I was thinking too. Smiling
(07-27-2011, 09:23 PM)PonderThis Wrote: Those are the kinds of things I was thinking too. Smiling

[Image: shaking_head.gif]

LaughingRolling EyesLaughing
No really, those could be cars of the future. Smiling
(07-27-2011, 09:37 PM)PonderThis Wrote: No really, those could be cars of the future. Smiling

Hmmm... my fav guy just returned from a couple of days in Seattle learning all there is to know about the new Chev Volt... I though they were the cars of the future. Wink Hmmm....
But wouldn't it be fun to outrun one in one of these if it went faster and had a farther range too? Smiling
Link to a slideshow of the Velomobiles running through Portland:

http://www.koinlocal6.com/Photo.aspx?con...eab06999d9