"no more problems with child support than any other average guy"
This guy can't even manage his own finances and yet he's running the country's? Blink http://news.yahoo.com/ex-wife-ill-congre...04680.html

Ex-wife: Ill. congressman owes $117K child support

Excerpt: "Illinois Rep. Joe Walsh, the tea party-backed Republican who squeaked into office last year by vowing to bring fiscal responsibility to Washington and who has been one of President Barack Obama's most outspoken critics during the standoff over the debt ceiling, is being sued for more than $100,000 in unpaid child support, a newspaper reported.

The freshman congressman's ex-wife, Laura Walsh, filed the claim against him in December as part of their divorce case, saying he owed $117,437 to her and their three children, the Chicago Sun-Times reported in a story published Wednesday. She contends that Walsh loaned his own campaign $35,000 and took international vacations but said he couldn't afford child support payments because he was between jobs or out of work.

"Joe personally loaned his campaign $35,000, which, given that he failed to make any child support payments to Laura because he 'had no money' is surprising," Laura Walsh's attorneys wrote in the motion. "Joe has paid himself back at least $14,200 for the loans he gave himself."

Walsh, whose campaign was marked by allegations of financial mismanagement, said he thought he and his ex-wife were coming to an agreement on the money owed, according to a February court filing. His attorney, R. Steven Polachek, denied that the congressman owed $117,437 in back child support and interest and said the amount was much less.

"I dispute that he owes the child support that she's claiming or anywhere near that amount," Polachek said. "Joe Walsh hasn't been a big-time wage-earner politician until recently — he's had no more problems with child support than any other average guy."

Joe and Laura Walsh were married for 15 years when she filed for divorce in 2002. He has since remarried.

A phone message left Thursday at Walsh's congressional office wasn't immediately returned, and his spokeswoman did not immediately respond to an e-mail seeking comment.

Walsh, 49, unexpectedly captured his northeastern Illinois district last year by a slim margin, campaigning on a promise to reign in government spending and promoting his conservative values, among other things. He has recently gained notoriety for speaking out against the president and accusing him of lying about the impact of not raising the national debt ceiling.

"President Obama, quit lying," he said in a video posted online this month. In it he also asks Obama, "Have you no shame, sir?"

Walsh said there is "plenty of money" to pay debt and cover Social Security even if the limit isn't raised, and that Obama won't get congressional approval to increase the $14.3 trillion debt limit unless the Democratic president backs a balanced budget amendment to the Constitution, which Obama opposes. Obama says the country will default if Congress doesn't raise the ceiling by Aug. 2.

The congressman's alleged financial problems made headlines while he was campaigning last year, when at least one staffer claimed he would "spend, spend, spend uncontrollably." His campaign manager quit and sued for $20,000 in nonpayment, and two other staffers who quit accused him of not properly disclosing a 2008 home foreclosure and traffic citations to the public, taking their grievances public. Walsh also bounced checks, including one to a Republican fundraiser.

A Walsh spokesman at the time called it a smear campaign by disgruntled workers and said the congressman had learned from his financial struggles, including the foreclosure."
This says so much. I posted the same story under the obscure title: "Need a Zen moment?"

This teabagger is an empty shell, a quoter of hollow catch-phrases. Mad
I read that thread too, but must not have made the correlation. Sometimes when I'm reading a story a different headline pops up that makes me wonder why they didn't use that one instead. This was one of those cases. Smiling
(07-28-2011, 11:58 AM)PonderThis Wrote: I read that thread too, but must not have made the correlation. Sometimes when I'm reading a story a different headline pops up that makes me wonder why they didn't use that one instead. This was one of those cases. Smiling

No chastising here...Wink
It's a story worth repeating, even though there's a good chance our wingnuts fail to see the irony. That's a pretty big word. Laughing