Does anyone on here use Linux?
I've always been intrigued with the idea of using Linux ever since I first heard about it, but I've never known anyone that has. For awhile you could buy new Dell's preloaded with Linux instead of windows, but that seems to be in the past too. By any chance is there anyone here that uses Linux?

(07-28-2011, 03:47 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I've always been intrigued with the idea of using Linux ever since I first heard about it, but I've never known anyone that has. For awhile you could buy new Dell's preloaded with Linux instead of windows, but that seems to be in the past too. By any chance is there anyone here that uses Linux?

yes
What kind of machines have you used it on, what version(s) of Linux do you like, where did you learn it and where do you go to for support?
(07-28-2011, 03:58 PM)PonderThis Wrote: What kind of machines have you used it on, what version(s) of Linux do you like, where did you learn it and where do you go to for support?

Looks like the line went dead.Wink

I used it briefly in my work, almost 20 years ago so don't remember a lot of it.
I use an Mac Book Pro to type this. The Apple software is based on Linux. (Was at least...not sure now).
You can run it on any any machine. You have to add the firmware to ROM and format the fixed dive for it, and you are off an running. The Linux operating system (OS) will run lots of software you may now use. Firefox, for example, is a open source Linux platform that can be tweaked to run on any other OS.
Linux is lean and mean, open source, and may someday kick Microsoft's ass. Or, it may become yesterday's news as other more efficient OS's are developed.

Personally, I don't think it has a lot of value for everyday users. If you write a "language" and want to develop software, it's a great platform. Can be a lot of work if you simply want to get even with Bill Gates.

(07-28-2011, 03:58 PM)PonderThis Wrote: What kind of machines have you used it on, what version(s) of Linux do you like, where did you learn it and where do you go to for support?
my comp uses linux (at least I think so)
homebuilt by our son
don't know
son taught me
son supports
There is no need of a anti- virus program
He's going to also install a windows thing so I can play some Tiger Woods golf and some racing games.
I'm also thinking of an Apple comp for writing/composing music.
Sorry I know this is no help.
(07-28-2011, 03:58 PM)PonderThis Wrote: What kind of machines have you used it on,
what version(s) of Linux do you like, where did you learn it and where do you go to for support?
Used many flavors of Unix. Yes I like it. Learned on duty. Support from books and friends.
I did only want to tweak Bill Gates nose, and I do use an Apple computer anyway. So I suppose that's pretty close to Unix anyway. Mostly I like the power to the people angle, and the freedom from viruses, and the fact it's a real basic system that uses a minimum of computer resources. But I'd want it to be plug and play too, and nobody's given me that kind of encouragement. I have heard there's a Linux freeware or shareware version so similar to Photoshop it's considered interchangeable (or so I heard a few years back), that might be one of my main motivations.
(07-28-2011, 04:55 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I did only want to tweak Bill Gates nose, and I do use an Apple computer anyway. So I suppose that's pretty close to Unix anyway. Mostly I like the power to the people angle, and the freedom from viruses, and the fact it's a real basic system that uses a minimum of computer resources. But I'd want it to be plug and play too, and nobody's given me that kind of encouragement. I have heard there's a Linux freeware or shareware version so similar to Photoshop it's considered interchangeable (or so I heard a few years back), that might be one of my main motivations.

You might try redhat.
Redhat maybe a little too much for a novice

Try Ubuntu, it is simple and easy and you can install it right along side windows, check it out, if you don't like it uninstall it. very simple.
Just download the windows installer and you are on your way
I have used open source software for years, written a lot of code created a lot of web apps and such.

I have used various systems over the years, Ubuntu, Solaris, Red Hat, Red Flag(that is the Chinese version) and so on.

Go try out ubuntu and see what you think.
It takes a little more computer sauve than regular windows or OSx so maybe you can learn something along the way.

For ubuntu
http://www.ubuntu.com/

or for solaris 10

http:// http://www.oracle.com/technetwor...index.html

Have fun!Big Grin
(07-28-2011, 06:19 PM)zhang Wrote: Redhat maybe a little too much for a novice

Try Ubuntu, it is simple and easy and you can install it right along side windows, check it out, if you don't like it uninstall it. very simple.
Just download the windows installer and you are on your way
I have used open source software for years, written a lot of code created a lot of web apps and such.

I have used various systems over the years, Ubuntu, Solaris, Red Hat, Red Flag(that is the Chinese version) and so on.

Go try out ubuntu and see what you think.
It takes a little more computer sauve than regular windows or OSx so maybe you can learn something along the way.

For ubuntu
http://www.ubuntu.com/

or for solaris 10

http:// http://www.oracle.com/technetwor...index.html

Have fun!Big Grin

Hey Zhang,
I'm trying to learn etch-a-sketch. Know a good manuals?

...and are you the guy who was once at St. Mary's High School? Sorry if I'm confusing you with someone else. You guys all look alike. Laughing (I know, I'm a racist pig and should be shot. Most folks say it's not worth the cost of the bullet).
No, Wonky I'm not that guy. I used to drive by St. Marys ...but never went inside..Big Grin
However, I do know some guys from St. Marys.
I use Linux on several boxes at home.

WattOS Linux which is based off of Debian Linux is on my step-daughter's PC, then I have Ubuntu on my Laptop full time, CentOS server on my Firewall (I have a corporate firewall installed at the house), and then on a spare PC (OLD and Cranky Dell), I have Ubuntu server on that waiting patiently for me to decide what to do with it. It is a dinosaur and runs very slowly but serves stuff well enough.

Then, I have an iMac which is based off of BSD, but really more of it's own creature.

If you know how to move around in the terminal on your Mac, you should be fine if you need to do things in Linux on a command line level (rare anymore), but it does come in handy when you want to bend them to your will.

For beginners, Ubunu is generally the best one, but there are some new entries in the market anymore which help Windows users wean themselves away like SalineOS.

I used Linux for a while.

Metamucil works better.