Perseids Meteor Shower!
Do you have the mistaken idea Perseids only comes in a rush on Thursday night? Smiling

Thursday is the peak night, but some earlybirds from the Perseids shower have been coming since late July (in increasing amounts), and some will keep coming afterwards too. The reason I looked last night is there is supposed to be a decreasing window of opportunity after the moon goes down and before it starts getting light tomorrow morning, I think it's about 2 1/2 hours tonight, and only an hour or so Wednesday night. By Thursday night, the peak night for Perseids, the moon will be out all night long, and nobody is likely to see much this year at all on that night. Smiling

But, as Chucky mentions, there's no reason not to cuddle up in a blanket with someone you care about on Thursday night anyways. Just tell people you're looking for stars. Smiling
(08-09-2011, 08:19 PM)PonderThis Wrote: Do you have the mistaken idea Perseids only comes in a rush on Thursday night? Smiling

Thursday is the peak night, but some earlybirds from the Perseids shower have been coming since late July (in increasing amounts), and some will keep coming afterwards too. The reason I looked last night is there is supposed to be a decreasing window of opportunity after the moon goes down and before it starts getting light tomorrow morning, I think it's about 2 1/2 hours tonight, and only an hour or so Wednesday night. By Thursday night, the peak night for Perseids, the moon will be out all night long, and nobody is likely to see much this year at all on that night. Smiling

But, as Chucky mentions, there's no reason not to cuddle up in a blanket with someone you care about on Thursday night anyways. Just tell people you're looking for stars. Smiling
I guess I never thought to look more than a night ahead. I think I can give them about 15 min. this year. Which 15 min. would you recommend? Laughing
Someday I hope to get an invite on Chucky's space vehicle....Cool

I just looked at the forecast, and tonight shows "mostly clear", and Wednesday night shows "clear". So, the hour or so before dawn one of those nights. What time is dawn? I don't know. This morning at 5 might have been just a hair too late. Smiling
(08-09-2011, 08:42 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I just looked at the forecast, and tonight shows "mostly clear", and Wednesday night shows "clear". So, the hour or so before dawn one of those nights. What time is dawn? I don't know. This morning at 5 might have been just a hair too late. Smiling
I'm thinking pee:30. Laughing Thanks!

Not so very impressive, but at least I got my trailer spotted in town.
I went out at about 4 a.m. for a quick peak but the moon was oh-so-bright that I gave up.
(08-13-2011, 09:06 AM)TennisMom Wrote: I went out at about 4 a.m. for a quick peak but the moon was oh-so-bright that I gave up.

4 AM..... why don't they schedule these things in the day time.
The moon was so crazy bright last night - a couple of times we nearly called it the 'sun' before catching ourselves.

I watched for an hour and saw one good meteor - but at least I saw one - cool!
Perfect location on Friday night. Central Oregon FAR from any town lights, high on a mountain top... then that damn moon came up. Meteor shower? Couldn't prove it by me. I always have trouble sleeping in mid-day (I am not as old as Wonky), and that's what the sky looked like to me.