Goodbye, Geppetto's
Quote:Long-standing Geppetto's Restaurant in Ashland didn't open its doors at the beginning of this week and won't again for an undetermined amount of time, as its owners have decided to close for good.

Owners John and Tiffany Trapp declined to comment on why they decided to close the restaurant, which has been serving Ashlanders under the Geppetto's name since 1977, when founders Ron Roth and his wife, Kathleen MacMichael, opened its doors.

Roth and MacMicheal sold the restaurant to the Trapps in November 2009 after more than 32 years behind its counter.

"All we know is something's going to have to be worked out," said Bob Dreiszus, who, along with his wife, Annie, owns the Beau Club next door and leases the building that housed Geppetto's. "Annie and I are disappointed with the outcome and how it all ended ... There is no specific game plan that is in place yet, but we anticipate having another eatery there."

Dreiszus declined to comment on what led to the Trapps' decision to close the restaurant, saying it was a "sensitive subject."

"It's just really unfortunate, and we'll leave it at that," he said.

Tina Gilbert, 47, of Seattle, Wash., walked up to the restaurant Friday afternoon craving a plate of its famous cheese wantons. She hung her head when she ran next door to the Beau Club and heard that one of her favorite Ashland eateries had gone out of business.

"I'm really bummed out," she said. "Geppetto's was part of the Ashland tradition."

Gilbert, who graduated from Ashland High School in 1982, said she frequented the restaurant when she lived in Ashland and made a point of eating there every time she came back.

"It's really just sad," she said. "I hope they find some way to come back."

Dreiszus said a tough economy and recent health inspection failures contributed to the decision to close.
http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll...F108080325
I could never understand the success of that place. At one time they practically had a cult following, and I've rarely seen such snooty servers as they used to have. That was 20 years ago or so though, so they must have been existing on customers other than me. Smiling
(08-08-2011, 12:18 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I could never understand the success of that place. At one time they practically had a cult following, and I've rarely seen such snooty servers as they used to have. That was 20 years ago or so though, so they must have been existing on customers other than me. Smiling

I've never been there, but I figured the story may be of some local interest. Smiling
Well, my hatred of the Ashland meals sales tax is notorious, and goes back a long ways too. I pretty much started boycotting Ashland restaurants when that happened. Previous to that I ate there quite a bit.
(08-08-2011, 12:21 PM)PonderThis Wrote: Well, my hatred of the Ashland meals sales tax is notorious, and goes back a long ways too. I pretty much started boycotting Ashland restaurants when that happened. Previous to that I ate there quite a bit.

I'm tellin' ya...some people's kids Rolling Eyes

Laughing Razz Laughing
I was never cool enough to eat there. I had to go to the back door for take out. I'd take my dog but I had to put a handkerchief around his neck. Even at take out status you had to have some coolness.
(08-08-2011, 03:55 PM)Willie Krash Wrote: I was never cool enough to eat there. I had to go to the back door for take out. I'd take my dog but I had to put a handkerchief around his neck. Even at take out status you had to have some coolness.

Big Grin Laughing Big Grin
I missed that place. My DH doesn't like to eat in Ashland because he thinks it is overpriced for the tourists. What amused me about that article was the Comments Section. People mentioned how the restaurant failed several food inspections. Now, that's not cool.