Can this be true?
A friend of mine just rented a house she found on Craigslist that was a sweet deal. The owner of the house was being shipped out to Afghanistan within the month. The only thing the owner was concerned about was getting someone in the house who would treat it as their own while she and her husband were gone. Just pay the security deposit up front and then she would work with you on the first month's rent. Guess what, the owner found 16 nice families to rent her house and collected monies from all of them. Blink
larry did that? Smiling
I seriously love this person.http://medford.craigslist.org/bik/2546850436.html

borth
dollers
littel

I like the deal they're offering. Either $45 each OR boRth for $90. That is a SMOKIN' deal!

This is what I am envisioning this person to look like:
[Image: redneck-toilet.jpg]

larry again.
(08-15-2011, 03:00 PM)snowhater Wrote: A friend of mine just rented a house she found on Craigslist that was a sweet deal. The owner of the house was being shipped out to Afghanistan within the month. The only thing the owner was concerned about was getting someone in the house who would treat it as their own while she and her husband were gone. Just pay the security deposit up front and then she would work with you on the first month's rent. Guess what, the owner found 16 nice families to rent her house and collected monies from all of them. Blink

That totally sucks. I love Craig's list to buy and sell things but you have to go into it with a skeptical outlook. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. I bet he wasn't even the real owner, just a renter who was moving out and tried to make a fast buck from it.

When I was trying to rent out my old house several people told me they were renting and the owners took the monthly rent and didn't pay the mortgage. The renters found out when the house was foreclosed on and the bank kicks them out. That kind of thing made renting my house pretty easy because apparently this has happened to many responsible families who are now in need of a new place to live.
(08-15-2011, 04:59 PM)Snowlover Wrote:
(08-15-2011, 03:00 PM)snowhater Wrote: A friend of mine just rented a house she found on Craigslist that was a sweet deal. The owner of the house was being shipped out to Afghanistan within the month. The only thing the owner was concerned about was getting someone in the house who would treat it as their own while she and her husband were gone. Just pay the security deposit up front and then she would work with you on the first month's rent. Guess what, the owner found 16 nice families to rent her house and collected monies from all of them. Blink

That totally sucks. I love Craig's list to buy and sell things but you have to go into it with a skeptical outlook. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. I bet he wasn't even the real owner YA THINKCool , just a renter who was moving out and tried to make a fast buck from it.

Sorry for being a smarta**Big Grin My opinion is that this scammer was not a renter and probably has no ties to the rental whatsoever. My question is ...was this crime reported on the mail tribune?? If not what the hell not.
People need to know these kinds of scams are going on. And yes SN you are right you have to be skeptical on CL just like any other dealings with the public.
You don't have the safeguards and protection you can get on ebay so you better know what you are doing.

BTW anyone can access the owner of a properties name by going on line to Jackson counties "front desk" and looking at public information on property taxes.

Quote:SN....When I was trying to rent out my old house several people told me they were renting and the owners took the monthly rent and didn't pay the mortgage. The renters found out when the house was foreclosed on and the bank kicks them out. .

I guess the owner can do what ever they want with the rent check buy yes it's pretty low to not let the renters know that they're going to have to move.
I was talking to someone not long ago that was very proud of their last rental experience. It seems they discovered their landlord wasn't paying the bank, so they decided they didn't need to bother paying the landlord either. Afterwards, when the bank actually did repo the place, they offered these "tenants" $3000 cash if they would only please move within 2 weeks, $2000 if they would move in a month, and $1000 cash if they moved out in a month and a half. They took the $3000 and were out in two weeks.

I think quite a bit less of them already.
(08-15-2011, 05:26 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I was talking to someone not long ago that was very proud of their last rental experience. It seems they discovered their landlord wasn't paying the bank, so they decided they didn't need to bother paying the landlord either. Afterwards, when the bank actually did repo the place, they offered these "tenants" $3000 cash if they would only please move within 2 weeks, $2000 if they would move in a month, and $1000 cash if they moved out in a month and a half. They took the $3000 and were out in two weeks.

I think quite a bit less of them already.

That's why I probably would be a bad landlord. I think I would have found a very creative way to makes those tenants stay a little less than enjoyable. Actually I know I would have.
(08-15-2011, 05:39 PM)tvguy Wrote: That's why I probably would be a bad landlord. I think I would have found a very creative way to makes those tenants stay a little less than enjoyable. Actually I know I would have.

You're right this time, You would be a bad landlord.
Smiling