Schools of fish help squeeze more power from wind farms - For HC :)
Who knows where the next innovations will come from? By studying how fluids move around schooling fish, scientists figured a way to potentially get 10 times as much wind energy out of a given area of land versus current technology. Wind generators with this design would look more like vertical "egg beaters" than windmills, spaced much closer together.

(I'm waiting for HC to announce how this is "pseudo" science and a "waste" of "taxpayer" money. Given HC's personal belief that the world is a perfect place created by God, I also wonder why he finds it not worth study?) Smiling

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-14452133

[Image: _54492993_c0046418-schooling_trevally_spl.jpg]

Excerpt: "Schools of fish have shown engineers how to squeeze much more power from wind farms.

A new wind farm design mimics a school of fish to exploit wind turbulence, and could dramatically improve power output.

Familiar propeller-style wind turbines with large sweeping blades have almost reached their limit of efficiency.

But in a wind farm, they must be spaced widely apart to avoid turbulence from the other turbines.

This has limited wind farm power output to around two watts per square metre of land at favourable sites.

But redesigned wind farms could perhaps get up to 10 times more power from the same land.

A test array in the California desert takes a whole new approach to the problem, according to a study published in the Journal of Renewable and Sustainable Energy.

This new study uses "vertical axis" wind turbines that resemble upright, spinning egg whisks. Although they are less efficient individually than the propeller-style turbines, they are able to use turbulent winds from many directions.

But the big step forward comes from the layout of the array which is based on fluid dynamics around schooling fish.

"Organising the arrangement of wind turbines based upon the vortices shed by schooling fish is definitely a new approach," said aeronautical engineer Robert Whittlesey of the California Institute of Technology (Caltech).

"The fish aim to align themselves to optimise their forward propulsion," he writes, and this can be adapted in a turbine array to maximise energy extraction.

The new design uses closely-spaced pairs of counter-rotating turbines that funnel air to their neighbours, with little energy lost to turbulence.

Not only do the neighbours benefit, but the funnelling effect is also important. In fact power generated by the paired turbines can actually be greater than that from the turbines working independently. In tests, a turbine five rows back still generated 95% of the power of the one on the front row.

A wind farm of this closely-packed design could produce 20 to 30 watts per square metre of land, around 10 times that of current wind farms.

Author of the study, Professor John Dabiri of Caltech, said: "While the connection between fish schooling and wind farms might seem non-intuitive at first, it is in fact a logical inference from the underlying flow physics."

The advantages don't stop there. At 10m high, the turbines used in this study were only around one tenth of the height of typical propeller-style turbines.

This means that they are less intrusive in the landscape, less visible to air-traffic control radar and could be less harmful to birds and bats.

The vertical-axis turbines are also "significantly more robust and probably less expensive. There are still some problems to be solved but they really deserve a second look" added Professor Charles Meneveau of Johns Hopkins University who was not involved in the study..."
What kind of fish can you squeeze the most oil out of? I'm looking into the possibility of "Aquadiesel".
(08-09-2011, 02:48 PM)illcommandante Wrote: What kind of fish can you squeeze the most oil out of? I'm looking into the possibility of "Aquadiesel".

I'm lovin' the word "Aquadiesel"
Maybe a name for a rock/alternative group?
A work of art?
Something...it's a great word, Illcommandante! Wink
I more got the idea of growing algae or something in water and then distilling or otherwise utilizing that.
Fertile minds around here.....
Actually PonderThis, I very much like the idea.. If we are going to continue to mess with wind power, this looks like a great field of exploration.. I still doubt the viability of large scale wind farms contributing enough to replace a significant amount of petro energy, but this sure looks promising..

They have known for many years how to place high rise buildings to avoid turbulence, and this seems reasonable.

And this shows that you have no idea what I mean when I mention pseudo science..
I presume maybe it's something Fox News tells you perhaps? No, no one besides yourself knows what you mean by the words pseudo science, and frankly you hardly seem one to judge, either.
I was going to take pseudo engineering in college, but I couldn't handle the pseudo math.