What read did you most enjoy this year (2)?
Honeyhalfwitch said “I really enjoyed reading The Shack by William P Young. Very good read and not like any book I've ever read.”

Read it and found some parts about the daughter hard to read. Very good read. I see lot of controversy in respect to his perceptions of the Trinity.

Wonky said “I have a friend who thinks McCarthy is a genius. The critics raved about him I remember, comparing him to Poe and other "dark" writers.
I'll have to give him a try sometime: My friend tells me he is not a "happy read".”

Recently finished reading McCarthys works. All are dark and most do not end well. If you do read McCarthy, the one not to be missed is Sutree.

There was a play McCathy wrote and HBO made a show for it called “The Sunset Limited” with Tommy Lee Jones and Samuel L. Jackson which is worth the checking out.
I was adrift in the world of fiction...after Kite Runner, Thousand Spendid Suns and Water for Elephants, everything paled in comparison.

I then, by accident, discovered Jack Reacher...kinda an anti-hero created by author Lee Child.

This is not great fiction, but keeps my interest. Interesting plots, some blood and guts and the good guy wins.

For just lightweight reading, I highly recommend them. I'm on my third on in a row.

Quote:"I don't really care about the little guy. I just hate the big guy. I hate big smug people who think they can get away with things."
-- Reacher explains his motives, in Persuader

The audacious breadth and scope of this series continues to amaze me. One book, the ex-MP drifter with the seldom-talked about past and way too much training is digging swimming pools or trying to help a rancher's wife out of a domestic jam, the next book he's hired to try and kill the Vice President designate. JACK REACHER may not want trouble, but it sure seems to find him. Reacher's absolute confidence in his abilities, and his unerring sense of what is and isn't right stands out in a world of conflicted detectives. I mean, this guy's icy confidence makes Spenser look like he has self-esteem problems.

There's also no doubt that Reacher is a wingnut. His almost psychotic obession with being his own man means he has no fixed address, and carries nothing but, almost literally, the shirt on his back. No laundromats for Jack. And his most cherish possession may be a portable toothbrush. In Bad Luck and Trouble, an old army buddy, having watched Jack trash his old clothes and buy equally cheap replacements, points out that he could have kept the old shirt.

"Slippery slope," Reacher said. "I carry a spare shirt, pretty soon I'm carrying spare pants. Then I'd need a suitcase. Next thing I know, I've got a house and a car and a savings plan and I'm filling out all kinds of forms."

And yet, there's a lot of wit here, too, and even a certain amount of playfulness. In Without Fail, there's a great Forrest Gump-like scene, where Jack's sucked into a press interview, and asked his thoughts on the use of overwhelming force. ("Yes, I still support overwhelming force. That's for sure. I support it big time. Always have, believe me.") And there's a small, tender scene of such powerful but unspoken passion between a man and a woman that the fact it doesn't lead anywhere will crack your heart.

I've read several in this series and I'm heading back to find the others. This is a Mens Adventure book for men (and women) who can read with their mouths closed and their minds (and hearts) open. Smart, literate and just good old-fashioned thrilling. And always fascinating. Reacher seems capable of being anywhere, doing anything, and each book finds him somewhere else down the road, travelling through an America where the bad moon is always on the rise. Imagine Ross Macdonald's Lew Archer locked and loaded, and coming to town near you.

Heartily and highly recommend

http://www.thrillingdetective.com/eyes/reacher.html
You seem to think some of us do deep reading Wink

Honestly, I've been enjoying the Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones) books by George RR Martin. Thematically it does remind me of Lord of the Rings- mostly in the setting, but more convoluded. Multiple storylines (3 main ones) and dozens of characters each with their own story, back story and place in the plot lines.
I finally did read
the help before it was released to film. Good. Fun. Not unbelievably incredible though. Read Into the Wild, a study on Jack the Ripper and currently The girl with the dragon tatoo. I tend to read what I can find second hand. Getting to be slim pickin's though with all the book sellers out there. Ahem, BBQ. No, you're not grabbing what I'm looking for, but other people are! I did pick up and read Kite runner and A thousand Splendid Suns second hand though.
Most recently I read "Lady of Hay" by Barbara Erskine. Great book!
I may have read everything by Lee Child and Douglas Preston, I love his Pendergast character the best.
Read a bio of Margaret Mitchell called "The Road to Tara". Very enlightening, lots of Civil War stuff.
Book Group just finished "The Birth of Venus" by Sarah Dunant. Not the meatiest book I've ever read but fun.
"Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand is stunning.
"The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" is another one I'd recommend.