Random question
(08-12-2011, 08:38 PM)PonderThis Wrote:
(08-12-2011, 08:34 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(08-12-2011, 08:25 PM)PonderThis Wrote: The real sheriff has better things to do than drive around issuing subpoenas. In Douglas county they have one deputy that does nothing but deliver civil paperwork, and it keeps him busy at least a couple days a week.

Wondering why you bothered to ask then.

Why I asked?

No, TV.
(08-12-2011, 09:27 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(08-12-2011, 08:38 PM)PonderThis Wrote:
(08-12-2011, 08:34 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(08-12-2011, 08:25 PM)PonderThis Wrote: The real sheriff has better things to do than drive around issuing subpoenas. In Douglas county they have one deputy that does nothing but deliver civil paperwork, and it keeps him busy at least a couple days a week.

Wondering why you bothered to ask then.

Why I asked?

No, TV.

I didn't ask you Was it A sheriff or THE Sheriff? that was Valuesize.

(08-12-2011, 05:10 PM)Tiamat Wrote: What happens if a Sherriff serves a supoena to the wrong person??BlinkUnsure:wacko:
I would say he should not have unless he is dropping them at multiple locations in hopes of getting lucky. Maybe he was just ready to start his weekend. Smiling If your name is not on the subpoena why would you need to do anything? If this happened to me I would call someone up the chain of command and inquire as to why he left it with you after stating you weren't that person. My guess is you can ignore it, it's not your subpoena.
I'd go into the story on this, but boy, would that get the hornets nests all agitated.
If the person that was served is not the person who's name is on the subpoena, throw it in the trash and go on about their business. The person named in the subpoena is the one that is required to appear.
And, watch who goes to jail for failure to appear. Smiling
(08-13-2011, 05:24 AM)PonderThis Wrote: And, watch who goes to jail for failure to appear. Smiling

Precisely.
(08-13-2011, 08:03 AM)Tiamat Wrote:
(08-13-2011, 05:24 AM)PonderThis Wrote: And, watch who goes to jail for failure to appear. Smiling

Precisely.
Your'e not obligated to notify so I think you can feed your anarchist self. Your dreams! Big Grin
What I am saying there is that the person it was intended for who did not receive it will be arrested for contempt of court. Innocent. By the way if it WAS me who had received it in error, I think I might delight in showing up at the court, document and Identification in hand. "In your face!"
I once had someone trying to serve my brother in law with a subpoena from the DA's office.
They came to my house several times and I told them he didn't live there.
One guy left it on the door step. I took it to the DA's office and told them that I was being harassed by process servers and wanted a restraining order.
They got a little upset when they learned I wanted to get a restraining order against the DA's office.
(08-13-2011, 08:30 AM)chuck white Wrote: I once had someone trying to serve my brother in law with a subpoena from the DA's office.
They came to my house several times and I told them he didn't live there.
One guy left it on the door step. I took it to the DA's office and told them that I was being harassed by process servers and wanted a restraining order.
They got a little upset when they learned I wanted to get a restraining order against the DA's office.

Laughing Interesting that they can leave it like that.
(08-13-2011, 08:29 AM)Tiamat Wrote: What I am saying there is that the person it was intended for who did not receive it will be arrested for contempt of court. Innocent. By the way if it WAS me who had received it in error, I think I might delight in showing up at the court, document and Identification in hand. "In your face!"

Well, in a way, I would recommend that if you have the opportunity. When a thief tried to get my visa number on the phone, my main attempt was to keep her on the phone as long as I could, make her think it would come this time (damn) just to piss her off. In your case, a legitimate complaint might drop to hell because of you, so I might contemplate that. You might know the whole story, but if not, you might consider that. If you don't know the whole case, you might just be being an asshole.(?)

The whole story: It ain't me. I know who it is. I have no power over this, no consequences to anyone, beccause of me, because I amnot involved because of it. Just wondering. I know how I'd handle it if it had come to my door, but alas, it didn't. I can only watch, and wonder.
Depends on how you feel about the person named in the Document

With a no show they will issue a failure to appear on the person named,
If you show up with ID and say they served you and your not that person, they will delay the case and go back to square one of serving the person

Also I believe you have 30 or 60 days after being served to file a responds with the court if it's a civil matter. You could make such a filing stating your not the one named in the subpoena.
(08-14-2011, 08:02 AM)chuck white Wrote: Also I believe you have 30 or 60 days after being served to file a responds with the court if it's a civil matter. You could make such a filing stating your not the one named in the subpoena.

That would be cooperative.

I got cited for contempt of court for trying to rescue our cats after my (ex)wife had already taken our dogs to the pound. After a night in jail, I got away with a ticket.
The cats ran away and the dogs died. Ain't married life grand?
(08-15-2011, 04:39 PM)bbqboy Wrote: I got cited for contempt of court for trying to rescue our cats after my (ex)wife had already taken our dogs to the pound. After a night in jail, I got away with a ticket.

You violated a legal restraining order .Regardless of your noble motives you broke the law. Still, it sounds like your wife was or is a total scuz.

(08-15-2011, 04:39 PM)bbqboy Wrote: I got cited for contempt of court for trying to rescue our cats after my (ex)wife had already taken our dogs to the pound. After a night in jail, I got away with a ticket.

Hey diddle diddle
A night in a fiddle
Your cow got divorced from a loon
The little dog died
and the cat ran away real soon
LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing

There is at least 2 when I was hit by the car, a lady served me with mine, and then at work I had another served by a man. Both were real nice people.
Where's a good place to rent horses to ride?