Random question
(05-23-2014, 11:37 AM)Someones Dad Wrote:
(05-22-2014, 11:03 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(05-22-2014, 10:39 PM)Valuesize Wrote: The map is (imo) suspect and probably somebody's idea of a joke.

Yeah, you think!?? Of course. But still I ask. Some make sense like Curling in North Dakota. That makes sense. Meat is murder. I 'get' that. UFO's in New Mexico. Yep, Bigfoot in Idaho. Meth in Montana. But...Oregon gets Allah. Weird. There's a big mosque in Portland. And......?

Wasn't there some sort of cult thing up north years ago? Raganeesh something or other? He bought up some big ranch in Central Oregon? Perhaps that is it.

Edit: http://www.oregonlive.com/rajneesh/

The Bhagwan Rajneesh people are Hindus.

The map designation probably has more to do with the Bly Oregon "terrorist" camp that was in the news and the guy from Ashland that funded an Al Qaeda group or some such.
Next random question:

The news (KDRV) states today the way to measure distance of lightning strikes:
Quote:Using thunder & lightning, we can calculate our distance from thunderstorms. After seeing lightning, count the number of seconds until you hear the thunder. Take this number and divide by 5. The number you are left with is the number of miles away the storm is.
KDRV.http://www.kdrv.com/dry-thunderstorms-the-3030-rule/

This seems odd to me. A lot of times I hear relatively close thunder. Often times the count is 5 or 6. It's loud but not on top of me. How does this rule work? The old rule I grew up learning was the number of seconds between lightning and thunder was the estimated distance from where you are. This seems more accurate to me, as I might count two seconds and get thunder, and it seems off to the west or east a bit. What's this divide by 5 business? Using their method if I count 3 seconds and divide by 5, the lightning is .6 miles away from me. I don't think so. It sounds pretty damn loud, but .6 miles is down the street, and it sure doesn't sound that close. When I lived in Arizona, oh, lord, that was the land of thunderstorms, and let me tell you, when the thunderstrikes are striking 800 yards away, you're climbing under the damn dining room table. They shook the house.
Has to do with the speed of sound. You just have to make sure you're getting the right thunder for the lightning, though, if you've got a lot of lightning.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/nature/...ion182.htm
(05-27-2014, 08:05 AM)Tiamat Wrote: Next random question:

Quote:Using thunder & lightning, we can calculate our distance from thunderstorms. After seeing lightning, count the number of seconds until you hear the thunder. Take this number and divide by 5. The number you are left with is the number of miles away the storm is.

This seems odd to me. A lot of times I hear relatively close thunder. Often times the count is 5 or 6. It's loud but not on top of me. How does this rule work? The old rule I grew up learning was the number of seconds between lightning and thunder was the estimated distance from where you are. This seems more accurate to me, as I might count two seconds and get thunder, and it seems off to the west or east a bit. What's this divide by 5 business? Using their method if I count 3 seconds and divide by 5, the lightning is .6 miles away from me. I don't think so. It sounds pretty damn loud, but .6 miles is down the street, and it sure doesn't sound that close. When I lived in Arizona, oh, lord, that was the land of thunderstorms, and let me tell you, when the thunderstrikes are striking 800 yards away, you're climbing under the damn dining room table. They shook the house.

The simple answer is that sound travels 5 miles in one second.

Your method assumes sound travels one mile in one second.
(05-27-2014, 02:58 PM)tvguy Wrote:

My method disproves the former. Unscientifically of course.Big Grin
(05-27-2014, 08:39 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

Come on guys, sound travels 1000 feet in one second.
or a mile in 5 seconds.
(05-28-2014, 07:30 AM)chuck white Wrote:

or a mile in 5 seconds.

For someone who uses humor in nearly every post, no matter how dubiously it may be used, you don't seem to recognize it when you see it.
When Tia post words like "vituperatively," does she need to look them up first or do they just roll off her tongue? Razz
She's a teacher.One has to know those kind of words.
(05-28-2014, 08:49 AM)Valuesize Wrote: When Tia post words like "vituperatively," does she need to look them up first or do they just roll off her tongue? Razz

I think I made the form up. Is it an adverb like that?
(05-28-2014, 07:40 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(05-28-2014, 08:49 AM)Valuesize Wrote: When Tia post words like "vituperatively," does she need to look them up first or do they just roll off her tongue? Razz

I think I made the form up. Is it an adverb like that?

I'll need to ask my 7th grader and get back to you. Sad

Quote:vi·tu·per·a·tive (v?-to?o??p?r-?-t?v, -tyo?o??-, -p?-r??-, v?-)
adj.
Using, containing, or marked by harshly abusive censure.
vi·tu?per·a·tive·ly adv.
vi·tu?per·a·tive·ness n.

The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

lucky guess on my part.

or a mile in 5 seconds.

Guys? Anyway you just said what I saidRazz
(05-28-2014, 09:38 PM)tvguy Wrote:

The news (KDRV) states today the way to measure distance of lightning strikes: KDRV.http://www.kdrv.com/dry-thunderstorms-the-3030-rule/

or a mile in 5 seconds.

That's true.
(05-28-2014, 11:17 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(05-28-2014, 09:38 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(05-27-2014, 02:58 PM)tvguy Wrote: The simple answer is that sound travels 5 miles in one second.

or a mile in 5 seconds.

That's true.

I was correcting TV guy. it takes 25 seconds to go 5 miles.
Big Grin
Any idea what would be reasonable pay for a dog-walker? For a large dog?
(06-17-2014, 06:23 AM)tealeaf Wrote: Any idea what would be reasonable pay for a dog-walker? For a large dog?

Do you pay by the mile?
(06-17-2014, 06:23 AM)tealeaf Wrote: Any idea what would be reasonable pay for a dog-walker? For a large dog?

I have no idea! My daughter was paying someone $20 dollars to take the dog out every day, weekly. But it was extremely informal. That sounds cheap. Where are you Tealeaf?

$10.00 - $12.00 per hour.