Random question
(06-17-2014, 08:01 AM)Tiamat Wrote:
(06-17-2014, 06:23 AM)tealeaf Wrote: Any idea what would be reasonable pay for a dog-walker? For a large dog?

I have no idea! My daughter was paying someone $20 dollars to take the dog out every day, weekly. But it was extremely informal. That sounds cheap. Where are you Tealeaf?

We're in White City now.
(06-17-2014, 03:23 PM)tealeaf Wrote:
(06-17-2014, 06:23 AM)tealeaf Wrote: Any idea what would be reasonable pay for a dog-walker? For a large dog?

I have no idea! My daughter was paying someone $20 dollars to take the dog out every day, weekly. But it was extremely informal. That sounds cheap. Where are you Tealeaf?

We're in White City now.

Might be hard to get someone.
Random Question. Why is the strip of grass on West Jackson and the 4th street mergeway now a popular location for "homeless" folks? I prefer to call these folks vagrant rather than homeless. To me homeless is less of a lifestyle rather than a circumstance. Anyway, recently that little strip of grass right off the West Jackson Bear Creek bridge by Hawthorne park seems to be attracting a lot of folks who are just kind of hanging out there. They sit there all day. That's kind of new, I have only recently noticed it.
(06-17-2014, 08:42 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(06-17-2014, 03:23 PM)tealeaf Wrote:

We're in White City now.

Might be hard to get someone.
Since everyone is on meth and foodstamps?
I witnessed Cyber-Bullying today(not the first time)and feel like a coward for not saying something. Anyone else ever feel that way?
(06-20-2014, 03:35 PM)Jeep Wrote: I witnessed Cyber-Bullying today(not the first time)and feel like a coward for not saying something. Anyone else ever feel that way?

It happens right here on RVF quite often.
When we say something to the bullies... we end up being called names. Doesn't stop us though. Just look at this one thread... it's a clear example: http://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/sh...?tid=16703 Keep in mind though that at least one pertinent post (very quickly) disappeared. But, you'll get the idea.
Random question. I was reading something and it referred to Don McLean's song Bye Bye, Miss American Pie. In the 9th verse he says :
Now, for ten years we've been on our own
And moss grows fat on a rolling stone
But, that's not how it used to be

I always assumed this to be about Dylan, but the conversation was steering towards the Stones. Just wondering what people thought it was, or had they ever given it a thought at all.
(09-28-2018, 04:39 PM)Juniper Wrote: Random question.  I was reading something and it referred to Don McLean's song Bye Bye, Miss American Pie.  In the 9th verse he says :

I always assumed this to be about Dylan, but the conversation was steering towards the Stones.  Just wondering what people thought it was, or had they ever given it a thought at all.

I'm pretty clueless when it comes to figuring out what the meaning is behind lyrics. That song has been scrutinized for years with a lot of theories. I think it's widely accepted that the "Day" in question is the day of the plane crash with Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and the Big Bopper on board. I've also heard of the Dylan referencee, (Jester). But I'd guess that The Rolling Stones angle is also possible for the lyrics in question. Maybe a reference to Brian Jones??? That's one Rolling Stone that might have been gathering moss at the time the song was written.

Another opinion here: http://understandingamericanpie.com/vs3.htm

"Though this verse takes place between the years 1963 and 1966, these first lines look back from the year 1970—ten years or so after Holly's death. "A rolling stone gathers no moss" is an old cliché used to describe someone who never puts down roots, but here the cliché is turned on its head, reflecting how the wholesale rejection of conventional values had become commonplace by 1970—and that's not how it used to be. This line also foreshadows the uprooting anarchy that the Rolling Stones' Mick Jagger symbolizes later at the song's climax in verse 5. To quote Bob Dylan: "How does it feel/To be without a home/Like a complete unknown/Like a rolling stone?"
(09-28-2018, 06:00 PM)GCG Wrote:
(09-28-2018, 04:39 PM)Juniper Wrote: Random question.  I was reading something and it referred to Don McLean's song Bye Bye, Miss American Pie.  In the 9th verse he says :

I always assumed this to be about Dylan, but the conversation was steering towards the Stones.  Just wondering what people thought it was, or had they ever given it a thought at all.

I'm pretty clueless when it comes to figuring out what the meaning is behind lyrics. That song has been scrutinized for years with a lot of theories. I think it's widely accepted that the "Day" in question is the day of the plane crash with Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and the Big Bopper on board. I've also heard of the Dylan referencee, (Jester). But I'd guess that The Rolling Stones angle is also possible for the lyrics in question. Maybe a reference to Brian Jones??? That's one Rolling Stone that might have been gathering moss at the time the song was written.

Another opinion here: http://understandingamericanpie.com/vs3.htm

"Though this verse takes place between the years 1963 and 1966, these first lines look back from the year 1970—ten years or so after Holly's death. "A rolling stone gathers no moss" is an old cliché used to describe someone who never puts down roots, but here the cliché is turned on its head, reflecting how the wholesale rejection of conventional values had become commonplace by 1970—and that's not how it used to be. This line also foreshadows the uprooting anarchy that the Rolling Stones' Mick Jagger symbolizes later at the song's climax in verse 5. To quote Bob Dylan: "How does it feel/To be without a home/Like a complete unknown/Like a rolling stone?"
Well, there are verses that seem to be obviously about the Stones at Altamont, which fit chronologically as Altamont was in 69 and so fit at the end of the song. Although perhaps Brian  Jones might be an option.
I just assumed the phrase at the beginning was about Dylan.  Don't go to McLean for answers.
If you were in the Food 4 Less parking lot and found a shopping cart with a closed box on it with a note saying "Do not open the box.", would you?
(01-21-2019, 10:41 AM)Juniper Wrote: If you were in the Food 4 Less parking lot and found a shopping cart with a closed box on it with a note saying "Do not open the box.", would you?

I would not, but not necessarily because of the note.
(01-21-2019, 12:09 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(01-21-2019, 10:41 AM)Juniper Wrote: If you were in the Food 4 Less parking lot and found a shopping cart with a closed box on it with a note saying "Do not open the box.", would you?

The note would drive me crazy. I would have to. (and I did).
(01-21-2019, 12:25 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Laughing   Looks like you survived! Lucky you!   Smiling
(01-21-2019, 12:38 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

Laughing   Looks like you survived! Lucky you!   Smiling
I think I was just wondering what people's basic temperments were.  Are you the kind who would? or wouldn't?  Apparently I can't resist.

Probably full of shit.

I would assume it was some kind of joke and I was being watched or on video.Then Maybe I would turn it upside down and dump it out.
I don't see me just walking away.

And?
(01-21-2019, 03:19 PM)tvguy Wrote:

And?

Crazy ass Mama bird and her fledgling.  Mama came storming out at me.  (serves me right)  I just can't accept no I guess.
I once (high school) made a box with a single red button, that said do not push.
It had a line cord which plugged into the wall.
I left it on my friends desk in math class and plugged it in.
As usual he came in a few minutes late, the class was already going.

Yes, he pushed the button and a loud tone came out of the box.
Pressing the button again didn't help. He then pulled the plug. (It was just a dummy plug) and the noise continued.
He looked over at me with distress.
It took a magnet, in the right place to turn it off.
Good thing the teacher was in on the joke.
(01-21-2019, 06:19 PM)chuck white Wrote: I once (high school) made a box with a single red button, that said do not push.
It had a line cord which plugged into the wall.
I left it on my friends desk in math class and plugged it in.
As usual he came in a few minutes late, the class was already going.

Yes, he pushed the button and a loud tone came out of the box.
Pressing the button again didn't help. He then pulled the plug. (It was just a dummy plug) and the noise continued.
He looked over at me with distress.
It took a magnet, in the right place to turn it off.
Good thing the teacher was in on the joke.

I would have been that guy.