Mt. Ashland Protest
Quote:ASHLAND, Ore. -- The Ashland City Council is set to meet tonight at 7 p.m. and protestors plan to rally in response. They'll be starting from Lithia Plaza and march to the meeting to speak out to the city council.

Former City Councilor Erik Navickas is leading the protest tonight and says that he has received a permit to march in the street. They will take up one lane of traffic on East Main, then crossing down to Mountain. He says that he does not expect any outbursts or incidents similar to what happened about two months ago, when Navikas ended up on the hood of an Ashland Police car during another march.

The city council is considering giving the special-use permit to for the Mount Ashland Ski Area; that would allow the Mount Ashland Association, who runs ski operations on the mountain, to take control of the permit.

Erik Navickas says, "It basically gives up a lot of the authority the city council has which would maintain a lot of the liabilities that would exist from that and we want to see our city council show that they are accountable for our city's water supply."

Officials with the Mount Ashland Association say it would allow easier for easier fundraising.

Organizers say dozens will be here, many of whom will speak at tonight's meeting. They expect to take up most of the time for public comments tonight.

http://kdrv.com/page/221230
Isn't Erik Navickas the guy that jumped up on the police car and tried to claim brutality?
Ashland has this habit of getting involved in things that would seem to be no cities province - for example, a ski resort (which historically has lost money, I believe) located 10 miles (or more, I'm not sure) from the city itself, and it's own high speed internet service and possibly cable TV too, I think. Very egalitarian, but I don't know that it's really any cities business to be involved in. And of course, their silly idea they can charge 5% sales tax on their food when the rest of Oregon is tax-free. Smiling
(08-16-2011, 06:02 PM)Valuesize Wrote: Isn't Erik Navickas the guy that jumped up on the police car and tried to claim brutality?

Yes....among other stunts.

Mt Ashland has jumped over every hoop for years and year to expand responsibly. It would help their bottom line tremendously if they had more beginners runs (most and intermediate and many are advanced). Not only that, the city of Ashland and Medford would benefit from more tourist dollars. I see no good reason any more for them not expand.
I kept a room in the dorms for drug deals and showers, but my home was a little shack I hid in The Watershed. I don't like seeing the skiers run the bears off. But, there are bears in there that might eat one of them, before that happens. Let's hope. They are tromping on my trillium.
If you can learn to ski at Ashland, you can ski anywhere.
The bowl was my last trip down the mountain. Skiing is for idiots, and I quit being one (But, not soon enough to avoid the idiot title)
Illc, that is why I don't ski the bowl any longer. Used to in my younger days, then I wised up.
I have it on good authority that the Liberals are going to move the entire mountain to the flats out by White City. (At government expense of course). When the snow melts in the summer, it will become our Water Park.
Liberals will be charged $1.00
Conservatives, $20.00
How can you tell them apart? The Conservatives are the mad ones with sour expressions and hate filled eyes. Laughing
(08-17-2011, 01:08 PM)Wonky Wrote: I have it on good authority that the Liberals are going to move the entire mountain to the flats out by White City. (At government expense of course). When the snow melts in the summer, it will become our Water Park.
Liberals will be charged $1.00
Conservatives, $20.00
How can you tell them apart? The Conservatives are the mad ones with sour expressions and hate filled eyes. Laughing

LaughingLaughingWinkLaughingLaughing