Dog owners in Springfield invited to take the anti-poop pledge
Sheesh, now they want me to pick up my dog poop because it's gonna contaminate Oregon's waterways eventually. I don't even know where my dog goes on my 24 acres, and where does all the other animals poop go? Smiling http://www.registerguard.com/web/updates...d.html.csp

Excerpt: "SPRINGFIELD — In Western Oregon with its long rainy season and many rivers, anything that ends up on the ground has a high likelihood of winding up in a waterway.

That’s why city officials want dog owners to be vigilant about picking up their pets’ poop. Pet waste contains bacteria and parasitic organisms that, when washed into local waterways, can contaminate them.

To reduce the contamination, the city is hosting a “Canines for Clean Water” event Thursday that encourages pet owners to pick up after their animals.

Dog owners who stop by the Jack B. Lively Memorial Park at 6100 Thurston Road and take a pledge to pick up after their dogs will receive pet waste bags and a “Canines for Clean Water” bandana, and they can sign up for a drawing for a $20 gift certificate at a pet store in Springfield."
(08-17-2011, 08:08 PM)PonderThis Wrote: Sheesh, now they want me to pick up my dog poop because it's gonna contaminate Oregon's waterways eventually. I don't even know where my dog goes on my 24 acres, and where does all the other animals poop go? Smiling http://www.registerguard.com/web/updates...d.html.csp

Excerpt: "SPRINGFIELD — In Western Oregon with its long rainy season and many rivers, anything that ends up on the ground has a high likelihood of winding up in a waterway.

That’s why city officials want dog owners to be vigilant about picking up their pets’ poop. Pet waste contains bacteria and parasitic organisms that, when washed into local waterways, can contaminate them.

To reduce the contamination, the city is hosting a “Canines for Clean Water” event Thursday that encourages pet owners to pick up after their animals.

Dog owners who stop by the Jack B. Lively Memorial Park at 6100 Thurston Road and take a pledge to pick up after their dogs will receive pet waste bags and a “Canines for Clean Water” bandana, and they can sign up for a drawing for a $20 gift certificate at a pet store in Springfield."

If camping and hiking in Hawaii, you can't drink the water from the streams because of the wild pigs that shit and piss in them...
I knew someone that claimed they were sick for months from drinking Rogue River water up by Union Creek. According to what I've read no surface water in the entire state of Oregon is considered safe enough to drink without treatment of some kind.
We drank water out of streams in Wa. Or, an northern Ca all our lives.. We don't if we know there is mankind upstream, but we don't worry about it.. None of us has ever been sick for it either.

About 25 years ago while hunting together, my bro-in-law and I took big drinks and filled our canteens, only to discover a dead dear about 1/2 mile upstream in the water... Didn't get sick, but we worried over it, and refilled our canteens.

We practically lived in the Rogue River from the dam to Schroeder Park every summer from about 7 years old and up.. Drank lots of that water, mostly accidentally.
(08-17-2011, 09:48 PM)hillclimber Wrote: We drank water out of streams in Wa. Or, an northern Ca all our lives.. We don't if we know there is mankind upstream, but we don't worry about it.. None of us has ever been sick for it either.

About 25 years ago while hunting together, my bro-in-law and I took big drinks and filled our canteens, only to discover a dead dear about 1/2 mile upstream in the water... Didn't get sick, but we worried over it, and refilled our canteens.

We practically lived in the Rogue River from the dam to Schroeder Park every summer from about 7 years old and up.. Drank lots of that water, mostly accidentally.
You're lucky, Giardia (beaver Fever) infects many people that drink out of streams every year. Cryptosporidium is even worse.
(08-17-2011, 10:06 PM)cletus1 Wrote: You're lucky, Giardia (beaver Fever) infects many people that drink out of streams every year. Cryptosporidium is even worse.

Do we have Naegleria fowleri in S.O.? Horrendous!

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/U...TE=DEFAULT

(08-17-2011, 10:06 PM)cletus1 Wrote:
(08-17-2011, 09:48 PM)hillclimber Wrote: We drank water out of streams in Wa. Or, an northern Ca all our lives.. We don't if we know there is mankind upstream, but we don't worry about it.. None of us has ever been sick for it either.

You're lucky, Giardia (beaver Fever) infects many people that drink out of streams every year. Cryptosporidium is even worse.

Well it was a different era.. But what I wasn't clear on is that we quit drinking like that long ago, when we began to know better..