Salem officials shut down garage sales by woman with bone cancer
You can't take it with you, or health care in America: http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northw...ancer.html

Excerpt: "The city of Salem is shutting down the backyard garage sales a woman has been using to help pay her bills for terminal bone marrow cancer.

KATU-TV reports that Jan Cline lost her job and was looking for extra income after her cancer diagnosis. Her illness causes holes in her bones that leave them vulnerable to fractures.

Cline says the garage sales were bringing in several hundred dollars each weekend until a neighbor complained and the city sent a shutdown order.

City officials say rules intended to prevent permanent flea-market-type sales on residential properties limit residents to three yard sales per year.

Cline says she understands the city's intent, but she made an effort to hold the sales in the backyard so they're not a nuisance."
If they arrest her, won't the government then need to pay for her medical cost?
(08-18-2011, 07:31 PM)PonderThis Wrote: You can't take it with you, or health care in America: http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northw...ancer.html

Excerpt: "The city of Salem is shutting down the backyard garage sales a woman has been using to help pay her bills for terminal bone marrow cancer.

KATU-TV reports that Jan Cline lost her job and was looking for extra income after her cancer diagnosis. Her illness causes holes in her bones that leave them vulnerable to fractures.

Cline says the garage sales were bringing in several hundred dollars each weekend until a neighbor complained and the city sent a shutdown order.

City officials say rules intended to prevent permanent flea-market-type sales on residential properties limit residents to three yard sales per year.

Cline says she understands the city's intent, but she made an effort to hold the sales in the backyard so they're not a nuisance."

I just read that story, came here and you had posted it.
I'm beginning to think that the folks who exhibit this callous attitude towards their neighbors should just get if off their chests. They should walk around with big signs saying something like: "I dont CARE if she has cancer - No More Messy Garage Sales!"
I'm telling you, I love people, but the public gets tiresome. [Image: 36_1_6%5B1%5D.gif]
(08-18-2011, 11:39 PM)Crone Wrote:
(08-18-2011, 07:31 PM)PonderThis Wrote: You can't take it with you, or health care in America: http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northw...ancer.html

I just read that story, came here and you had posted it.
I'm beginning to think that the folks who exhibit this callous attitude towards their neighbors should just get if off their chests. They should walk around with big signs saying something like: "I dont CARE if she has cancer - No More Messy Garage Sales!"
I'm telling you, I love people, but the public gets tiresome. [Image: 36_1_6%5B1%5D.gif]

I hope there is some compromise to this, I have lived next door to someone who has a garage/yard sale every weekend and it was a mess. So I can see both sides of it.
Not enough information in the article to make an informed comment. If the complainant didn't talk to her neighbor before she reported her, she should have. So I'll assume she didn't therefore I'll assume she didn't know the woman's situation. Why? Because the alternative would be too unpleasant. Smiling
Well, nobody survives her type of cancer, it's always terminal. The real crime here is that people at the end of their life are forced to resort to this sort of thing to survive period. Honorable suicide is really the only thing left for these people, if that's what society really wants.
(08-19-2011, 09:11 AM)PonderThis Wrote: Well, nobody survives her type of cancer, it's always terminal. The real crime here is that people at the end of their life are forced to resort to this sort of thing to survive period. Snip...

True that sir.
I hate when a yard sale looks familiar. I'm sorry for the lady's situation. I'm sorry too, for the neighbors of some of these "Work at home" pickers. They know the law and they know the codes. They know where the swap meet is. The law I'd make is no yard sales beginning before 9 AM. Never sell to an "earlybird". Whatever lie they are handing you "I have to work in the moning" is just that. They are making a fat living by cutting out the competition. And, they aren't early to see you get what your stuff's worth. Exactly the opposite. Add to that, the fact that they are on some sort of disability, for whatever feigned reason, and are working under the table, to keep the pension they earn by not being able to work. All early birds are Pubs.
terry is a bitch.
[Image: 1157764_370.jpg]
We may have cake and garage sales to help pay our medical bills but thank god we don't have rationing. Never did figure out how you are suppose to be sick and work in order to keep your insurance. Sad indeed.
An update on this story, perhaps as heartwarming an end as this story could have (other than, a cure for cancer, or, lacking that, national health care for all): http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northw...bills.html

Excerpt: "...Mayor Anna Peterson on Friday pledged to help Cline, saying, "the city understands this is a very heart-wrenching situation, and we would be glad to work with her."

"I think it's amazing that even though they have to stick to the law, they're spending their energies coming up with solutions," Cline said. "I'm blown away and feel completely blessed."

Her story has garnered national attention, prompting tens of thousands of dollars in donations. She said she wasn't sure she needed to have more sales.

"I probably don't, but I've got a bazillion things out there, what am I going to do with it out here?" she said. "This is wonderful, now I can afford to hire someone to come take care of me during the day."

The local chamber of commerce also has offered to let her hold a sale on its parking lot, the Salem Statesman Journal reported.

"Jan has been a longstanding supporter of the chamber and member of the chamber through businesses," Salem Area Chamber of Commerce CEO Jason Brandt said. "We definitely want to do what we can to help her out."

Cline said she might have another sale at a South Salem business' parking lot in September. Peterson said she's grateful for the national attention to Cline's plight.

"I'm really grateful for the heartfelt response the people in this city and from across the nation have shown Ms. Cline," Peterson said."