What's For Dinner?
I just can't get it up to cook when it's hot...so...in desperation I prepared a good tuna salad with celery, sweet pickles all the good stuff. I spread it on good, artisan whole wheat toast and added delicious tomato and leaf lettuse. Served with crisp potato chips on the side (I like to put some chips in my sandwich) and had big glasses of iced Diet Coke.

It was so good...and I didn't heat up the kitchen!

What do you folks like to eat in the heat?
lots of watermelons
Olive Garden for me!
(08-21-2011, 08:26 PM)Snowlover Wrote: Olive Garden for me!

What do you like to have there?
I love the soup, breadsticks and salad, but I've never been very thrilled
with any entrees.
Any suggestions? Smiling
smoked jalapeno sausages here.
Chronic is preferred more around these parts.
(08-21-2011, 08:58 PM)PonderThis Wrote: Chronic is preferred more around these parts.

Chronic? Is that some kind of new fangled squash or sumpin'?
LaughingLaughingLaughing
Chronic. Sometimes I've seen it spelled Kronic. I've never tried the sausages THAT way.

Anyway. Olive Garden. Have never been there ever. I suspect it's not something I'd get too excited over.
My big, lush blackberries weren't all that sweet. So, I doubled the sugar and glazed the tops with a little eggyolk. And sent those two pies straight into hell. And, they didn't turn out too bad. Does it get any better than lard crust? I kind of doubt that it does.
(08-22-2011, 06:58 AM)Tiamat Wrote: Olive Garden. Have never been there ever. I suspect it's not something I'd get too excited over.

I've never had a meal at Olive Garden I thought was worthwhile. However, Red Lobster is owned by the same parent company, and I've sometimes gone there weekly if not more often. A dinner of their salad, biscuits, and appetizers is just about right.
Pizza from Baldini's, and it was GOOOOOD too! Cool and salad!
Last night we went to our son & daughter-in-law's for dinner. Their neighbor had been smoking a ginormous turkey since 8am. There was also pasta salad, corn on the cob, rolls... and we killed a lone Jumbie soldier.

Tonight I'm thinking about Turkey Burgers on the grill with Sweet Potato Fries.
(08-22-2011, 07:42 AM)PonderThis Wrote:
(08-22-2011, 06:58 AM)Tiamat Wrote: Olive Garden. Have never been there ever. I suspect it's not something I'd get too excited over.

I've never had a meal at Olive Garden I thought was worthwhile. However, Red Lobster is owned by the same parent company, and I've sometimes gone there weekly if not more often. A dinner of their salad, biscuits, and appetizers is just about right.

Red Lobster has the yummiest biscuits!
There used to be a restaurant in Medford called Mick's Ale House that had the best "beer muffins" I ever had. I often ate there in those days. I got to be such a regular somebody confided the recipe to me for the muffins, and it was some standard muffin mix that they made with Guinness beer instead of water.

Another oldtime Medford restaurant, The Hungry Woodsman, had the best bread. I happened to be talking to someone that used to work there this weekend, and he told me it was just Orowheat Wheatberry bread that they bought unsliced, sliced themselves into large slices, and heated for about a minute in some kind of restaurant bread warmer (I saw someone on Craigslist selling one of these used for $700, I don't know what it consists of).

Another favorite old Grants Pass restaurant was Yankee Pot Roast, and they would put an (extremely large, you only got one usually) baking powder biscuit in the oven when you came in the door. Those were delicious.

Sadly, all these restaurants are gone, and you can tell I've liked my bread and biscuits. Smiling
(08-22-2011, 08:48 AM)Scrapper Wrote:
(08-22-2011, 07:42 AM)PonderThis Wrote:

Red Lobster has the yummiest biscuits!

Hmmm, I've never liked those too much. I haven't been to a Red Lobster in years and years.

(08-22-2011, 07:10 AM)illcommandante Wrote: My big, lush blackberries weren't all that sweet. So, I doubled the sugar and glazed the tops with a little eggyolk. And sent those two pies straight into hell. And, they didn't turn out too bad. Does it get any better than lard crust? I kind of doubt that it does.

Lard is the best. Of course they say it should be leaf lard, I have no clue where to get that, or if it's worth the cost.
I never heard of leaf lard. When I was a kid we had lard from pigs we raised. That kind of lard makes the very best crusts. It's probably the very worst for you, too.
(08-22-2011, 07:48 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I never heard of leaf lard. When I was a kid we had lard from pigs we raised. That kind of lard makes the very best crusts. It's probably the very worst for you, too.

I don't think it matters much. How often do you eat pastry? I'd rather have the good stuff and really, really like it than subtitute a poor imitation. Leaf Lard is the "Good Stuff". Not health wise, but in terms of pastry.
Regarding Olive Garden....my nieces love it. It is just okay in my book but I like their Lasagne. I got the never ending pasta bowl (which is 1 bowl for me with lots of leftovers after I eat all the salad and breadsticks). The pasta bowl is a special so I don't know how long it lasts but it has five or six different pastas that you can combine with five or six different sauces. Since I knew I was only going to get one bowl I had them put two different sauces on mine. The beauty of it is if you want to try a sauce you are not sure of, if you don't like it you can ask for a new bowl.

I really like their soups and salads. Generally if I go, I go for lunch and get the soup and salad. It is all you can eat with breadsticks and isn't outrageous on the lunch menu. If you only go on weekends, they won't bring you a lunch menu but if you ask for one, they will honor it (smaller portions at lower prices).

The breadsticks are great but they are not consistant.