What's For Dinner?
(08-22-2011, 07:48 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I never heard of leaf lard. When I was a kid we had lard from pigs we raised. That kind of lard makes the very best crusts. It's probably the very worst for you, too.

leaf lard is rendered...heated up and impurities taken off the top.
Kinda like clarified butter (ghee)
Leaf lard is still from pigs Smiling
(08-22-2011, 08:15 PM)Snowlover Wrote: Regarding Olive Garden....my nieces love it. It is just okay in my book but I like their Lasagne. I got the never ending pasta bowl (which is 1 bowl for me with lots of leftovers after I eat all the salad and breadsticks). The pasta bowl is a special so I don't know how long it lasts but it has five or six different pastas that you can combine with five or six different sauces. Since I knew I was only going to get one bowl I had them put two different sauces on mine. The beauty of it is if you want to try a sauce you are not sure of, if you don't like it you can ask for a new bowl.

I really like their soups and salads. Generally if I go, I go for lunch and get the soup and salad. It is all you can eat with breadsticks and isn't outrageous on the lunch menu. If you only go on weekends, they won't bring you a lunch menu but if you ask for one, they will honor it (smaller portions at lower prices).

The breadsticks are great but they are not consistant.

We have just about the same opinion. I love soup and salad.
We are being really terrible! Last night it was tuna sandwiches, tonight it was Subway Sandwiches!! I can hardly wait for cooler weather, I love making soups and stews.
(08-22-2011, 09:03 PM)Crone Wrote: I can hardly wait for cooler weather, I love making soups and stews.

I still do them... in the Crack Pot! That way it doesn't heat up the house. Smiling
(08-22-2011, 09:12 PM)Scrapper Wrote: I still do them... in the Crack Pot! That way it doesn't heat up the house. Smiling

But I don't like eating them in the heat. I like sandwiches, salads and watermelon! Big Grin Oh, and grilled meat..as long as I don't have to stand over the grill.

Did you see where I posted you can cook corn on the cob in the micowave? I swear, it works, it tastes really really good and sweet. Go figure, eh?

Baci's Pizza!!!!! Smiling
(03-05-2012, 05:15 PM)broadzilla Wrote: Baci's Pizza!!!!! Smiling

If Oren is there, tell him I say hi. Big Grin
(03-05-2012, 05:58 PM)Valuesize Wrote:

If Oren is there, tell him I say hi. Big Grin

We ordered in.Smiling
home made pizza, and it was good,
I'm making french onion soup and Monty Cristo sandwiches for dinner. just for fun.
HOT POCKETS!!! No, we are having slow cooker beef stroganoff over noodles.
We're going out for Sushi and Saki! Yay!
Chicken enchiladas

MT reviewed it favorably, but Cometmom didn't care for it...; to be fair it sounds like she went literally after it changed hands, and she doesn't say specifically what the problem was.

Quote:Just so they know, Baci's is a big disappointment. It is no where near the quality of pizza that Brunos was. We were there the other night and the pizza was not even edible. Will not be back.
Tuesday, November 15, 2011, 10:20:57 AM
http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll.../111100343

I never had a problem with Brunos, it was not "New Yorky" enough for me...I really think I'm losing my taste for Western pizza. I haven't been there for years, let alone Baci's.
(03-05-2012, 07:48 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Chicken enchiladas

Oh yum, Tia!
Do you make 'chili gravy' as a sauce for them?
(03-05-2012, 08:00 PM)Clone Wrote:

Oh yum, Tia!

Hmmmmm what is that?
Chili gravy doesn't go with chicken. Just sayin'.
(03-05-2012, 08:14 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(03-05-2012, 08:00 PM)Clone Wrote:

Oh yum, Tia!

Hmmmmm what is that?

I finally hung out in a Mexican kitchen to snoop around about this. Big Grin
I knew a lot of the authentic enchilada sauces have no tomato and I was curious.
What they do is heat up some oil (or lard) add some flour as when you're making gravy, then quite a bit of good chili powder, then use chicken stock as the liquid. Just like you're making gravy.
I think Crazylace calls this red sauce.

Ooooh! I like this one even better! They use beef stock.....try it, you'll LOVE it!

http://www.food.com/recipe/gebhardts-chili-gravy-179214
(03-05-2012, 08:20 PM)bbqboy Wrote: Chili gravy doesn't go with chicken. Just sayin'.

says who?
(03-05-2012, 08:20 PM)bbqboy Wrote: Chili gravy doesn't go with chicken. Just sayin'.

I had to look it up. Yeah I have to agree with BBQ. Ahhh. Chili gravy...well, that's a tex mex kinda thing. I don't have much of a taste of tex mex. I like more authentic Mexican. This wasn't so authentic, but it had a green sauce not a red. I don't like red enchilada sauce. I never eat at any of the Mexican "restaurants" like Guadalajaras or Si Casa Flores...I really don't care for chimicangas, giant burritos with sauce on them . BTW, I know the family that owns the Guadalajaras, et al, and they don't cook anything like that for themselves.:wacko: They save the good stuff for themselves.Big Grin Tex Mex was fusion before fusion cuisine was a phrase. Just one I never cared for. On the other hand I actually like Cal Mex fusion. Must be a local thing. But I like the truck style foods. La Tapatia and a few others. I stopped liking Las Morenos which I used to like because I swear they are using instant rice.Mad
I usually use dried chilies for my red sauce but chili powder works in a pinch.
i like to stew the chicken in the red sauce.
I love green sauce also, especially when we grow chilies and tomatillos. Cool