What's For Dinner?
when are we having our RVF mexican food salsa cookoff/get together?
I'm up for it.
What I really miss most about Talent Grade School is the Mexican food night when all the various Latino families bring their home cooked food to the gym and a festival ensues. Wonderfulness.
(03-05-2012, 08:31 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(03-05-2012, 08:20 PM)bbqboy Wrote: Chili gravy doesn't go with chicken. Just sayin'.

I had to look it up. Yeah I have to agree with BBQ. Ahhh. Chili gravy...well, that's a tex mex kinda thing. I don't have much of a taste of tex mex. I like more authentic Mexican. This wasn't so authentic, but it had a green sauce not a red. I don't like red enchilada sauce. I never eat at any of the Mexican "restaurants" like Guadalajaras or Si Casa Flores...I really don't care for chimicangas, giant burritos with sauce on them . BTW, I know the family that owns the Guadalajaras, et al, and they don't cook anything like that for themselves.:wacko: They save the good stuff for themselves.Big Grin Tex Mex was fusion before fusion cuisine was a phrase. Just one I never cared for. On the other hand I actually like Cal Mex fusion. Must be a local thing. But I like the truck style foods. La Tapatia and a few others. I stopped liking Las Morenos which I used to like because I swear they are using instant rice.Mad

That's cool.
I have witnessed this sauce being made by Spanish speaking people direct from Mexico, working in hole in the wall Mexican food joints that serve to a Mexican clientele in downtown San Jose, CA. And they didn't come through Texas. Whatever. Smiling
On the weekends, you can get a nice tamale plate with rice and beans, from the lady in the shed at The Big Y Swap Meet. Really nice. Two, is even better!
(03-05-2012, 08:50 PM)illcommandante Wrote: On the weekends, you can get a nice tamale plate with rice and beans, from the lady in the shed at The Big Y Swap Meet. Really nice. Two, is even better!
Really? I'll have to try that. Smiling
(03-05-2012, 08:50 PM)illcommandante Wrote: On the weekends, you can get a nice tamale plate with rice and beans, from the lady in the shed at The Big Y Swap Meet. Really nice. Two, is even better!

I think I have to try this!
(03-05-2012, 08:44 PM)Clone Wrote:
(03-05-2012, 08:31 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(03-05-2012, 08:20 PM)bbqboy Wrote: Chili gravy doesn't go with chicken. Just sayin'.

I had to look it up. Yeah I have to agree with BBQ. Ahhh. Chili gravy...well, that's a tex mex kinda thing. I don't have much of a taste of tex mex. I like more authentic Mexican. This wasn't so authentic, but it had a green sauce not a red. I don't like red enchilada sauce. I never eat at any of the Mexican "restaurants" like Guadalajaras or Si Casa Flores...I really don't care for chimicangas, giant burritos with sauce on them . BTW, I know the family that owns the Guadalajaras, et al, and they don't cook anything like that for themselves.:wacko: They save the good stuff for themselves.Big Grin Tex Mex was fusion before fusion cuisine was a phrase. Just one I never cared for. On the other hand I actually like Cal Mex fusion. Must be a local thing. But I like the truck style foods. La Tapatia and a few others. I stopped liking Las Morenos which I used to like because I swear they are using instant rice.Mad

That's cool.
I have witnessed this sauce being made by Spanish speaking people direct from Mexico, working in hole in the wall Mexican food joints that serve to a Mexican clientele in downtown San Jose, CA. And they didn't come through Texas. Whatever. Smiling

I guess I just don't like red sauce. Like I said, I had to look iup "Chili Gravy" which sounds weird anyway., and it came up as a Tex Mex thing; I can only remember ever having it as a Tex Mex thing. Must just be me. I really don't like the red enchiladas.

I do have my own tamale guy though!Big Grin
(03-05-2012, 09:01 PM)Tiamat Wrote: I do have my own tamale guy though!Big Grin

Now THAT sounds like much more fun than a pool boy. Eyebrows
(03-05-2012, 07:01 PM)Scrapper Wrote: We're going out for Sushi and Saki! Yay!

Okay... So... We had a change of plan!
We headed to downtown Corvallis... stopped at our fav watering hole to have a beverage with friends... the power was out!
The grid in Corvallis must be super screwy!
3 businesses = power out; street lights = power; 1 house here = power; 2 houses there = no power; 1 business here = power; 1 business there = no power... it was crazy!
So we had a drink by candlelight with our friends, then left to go have dinner.
Our fav Sushi & Saki restaurant was also without power.
Headed closer to home... stopped in at Applebee's... POWER!!!!
So we ended up having dinner at Applebee's.
(03-05-2012, 11:46 PM)Scrapper Wrote:

We headed to downtown Corvallis... stopped at our fav watering hole to have a beverage with friends... the power was out!
3 businesses = power out; street lights = power; 1 house here = power; 2 houses there = no power; 1 business here = power; 1 business there = no power... it was crazy!

OK, but just this once, you hear!?Big Grin
(03-05-2012, 11:56 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(03-05-2012, 11:46 PM)Scrapper Wrote:

OK, but just this once, you hear!?Big Grin

I would have much rather had Sushi... but I have to say that we were pleasantly surprised by Applebee's!
We did the 2 for $20 thing.
Appetizer = Potato Twisters served with spicy Queso Blanco and pico de gallo.
Meals = The Blackened Steak Penne Pasta and the Bourbon Street Chicken & Shrimp.
Everything was amazing! Very yummy!
The only thing I'm not so sure about? If it was 2 for $20... how come our bill was $44.00?!?! Cool Razz Big Grin
Oh... in case you're not familiar with Applebee's 2 for $20...

http://www.applebees.com/menu/neighborho...s/2-for-20

Just be warned... their adult beverages aren't cheap! Wink
(03-06-2012, 12:07 AM)Scrapper Wrote: I would have much rather had Sushi... but I have to say that we were pleasantly surprised by Applebee's!
We did the 2 for $20 thing.
Appetizer = Potato Twisters served with spicy Queso Blanco and pico de gallo.
Meals = The Blackened Steak Penne Pasta and the Bourbon Street Chicken & Shrimp.
Everything was amazing! Very yummy!
The only thing I'm not so sure about? If it was 2 for $20... how come our bill was $44.00?!?! Cool Razz Big Grin

Hmmmm...wonder how that happened???? Twitch Laughing
Oh well... all in all... it was a fun night with my favorite guy! Big Grin
(03-06-2012, 12:16 AM)Scrapper Wrote: Oh well... all in all... it was a fun night with my favorite guy! Big Grin

He's a keeper fo sho....really nice...and very handsome.
(03-06-2012, 12:55 AM)Clone Wrote:
(03-06-2012, 12:16 AM)Scrapper Wrote: Oh well... all in all... it was a fun night with my favorite guy! Big Grin

He's a keeper fo sho....really nice...and very handsome.

Well... I think so! Big Grin
Dinner tonight-- thinking corned beef Smiling We all love it (it shows up year round around here), now I just need to find where I hid the crock pot.
My kid's grandmother was an aging Mayan alchemist, who jet setted back and forth between L.A. and Guatemala, off of her tamale earnings. A little coffee... a little coco. The kids eat Carlsburgers, and don't even remember.
Can't bear corned beef. Every St. Patrick's Day, my parents would smell up the house with boiled cabbage, potatoes and corned beef. BLECHH. Nowadays we try to have a lamb-oriented dish. If it is as expensive as it's been for the last year or so, we may settle for those Irish bangers I mentioned.
Our daughter-in-law made this "Chunky Vegetarian Chili" for dinner last night... it was delicious! Quick, easy, tasty! I totally recommend it!

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/chunky-v...000554690/

[Image: vegetarian-ck-554690-l.jpg]

Ingredients

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 cups chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 (16-ounce) cans stewed tomatoes, undrained
2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained

Preparation
Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell peppers, and garlic; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Add sugar and remaining ingredients, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes.
(03-06-2012, 11:42 AM)TennisMom Wrote: Can't bear corned beef. Every St. Patrick's Day, my parents would smell up the house with boiled cabbage, potatoes and corned beef. BLECHH. Nowadays we try to have a lamb-oriented dish. If it is as expensive as it's been for the last year or so, we may settle for those Irish bangers I mentioned.
You have expressed my feelings about corned beef. I don't like it, but I don't hate it. The only food I hate is liver. Yuck!