It's Labor Day Weekend
Have a safe, fun, enjoyable 3 day weekend, everyone!
And please thank a union member for the holiday! Big Grin

[Image: 297550_209659412427588_138763606183836_5...9744_n.jpg]
Do only Union workers work for a living?
(09-02-2011, 03:24 PM)Larry Wrote: Do only Union workers work for a living?

Why would you say something like that?
Do you not even appreciate the history and why the holiday was declared?
People died fighting for the 8 hour day and 5 day work week!
That's why it's called LABOR day:

History

The first big Labor Day in the United States was observed on September 5, 1882, by the Central Labor Union of New York. It became a federal holiday in 1894, when, following the deaths of a number of workers at the hands of the U.S. military and U.S. Marshals during the Pullman Strike, President Grover Cleveland reconciled with the labor movement. Fearing further conflict, legislation making Labor Day a national holiday was rushed through Congress unanimously and signed into law a mere six days after the end of the strike. The September date originally chosen by the CLU of New York and observed by many of the nation's trade unions for the past several years was selected rather than the more widespread International Workers' Day because Cleveland was concerned that observance of the latter would stir up negative emotions linked to the Haymarket Affair, which it had been observed to commemorate. All U.S. states, the District of Columbia, and the territories have made it a statutory holiday.

Pattern of celebration

The form for the celebration of Labor Day was outlined in the first proposal of the holiday: A street parade to exhibit to the public "the strength and esprit de corps of the trade and labor organizations," followed by a festival for the workers and their families. This became the pattern for Labor Day celebrations. Speeches by prominent men and women were introduced later, as more emphasis was placed upon the economic and civil significance of the holiday. Still later, by a resolution of the American Federation of Labor convention of 1909, the Sunday preceding Labor Day was adopted as Labor Sunday and dedicated to the spiritual and educational aspects of the labor movement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labor_Day
[Image: labor-day.gif]

The folks who brought you the week-end!

[Image: picture_joule_bait_and_switch.gif]
No need to fish. Just mention the word union and Larry and the boys jump right in the boat. I heard he wont even drive down Union Avenue but instead takes an alternate route.Big Grin
(09-02-2011, 06:05 PM)cletus1 Wrote: No need to fish. Just mention the word union and Larry and the boys jump right in the boat. I heard he wont even drive down Union Avenue but instead takes an alternate route.Big Grin

Then he should not observe Labor Day, right? Wink

This calls for some Pete and Arlo. Cool

[Image: labor-day_35.gif]
(09-02-2011, 05:28 PM)Crone Wrote:

Why would you say something like that?
Do you not even appreciate the history and why the holiday was declared?
People died fighting for the 8 hour day and 5 day work week!
That's why it's called LABOR day:

History

The first big Labor Day in the United States was observed on September 5, 1882, by the Central Labor Union of New York. It became a federal holiday in 1894, when, following the deaths of a number of workers at the hands of the U.S. military and U.S. Marshals during the Pullman Strike, President Grover Cleveland reconciled with the labor movement. Fearing further conflict, legislation making Labor Day a national holiday was rushed through Congress unanimously and signed into law a mere six days after the end of the strike. The September date originally chosen by the CLU of New York and observed by many of the nation's trade unions for the past several years was selected rather than the more widespread International Workers' Day because Cleveland was concerned that observance of the latter would stir up negative emotions linked to the Haymarket Affair, which it had been observed to commemorate. All U.S. states, the District of Columbia, and the territories have made it a statutory holiday.

Pattern of celebration

The form for the celebration of Labor Day was outlined in the first proposal of the holiday: A street parade to exhibit to the public "the strength and esprit de corps of the trade and labor organizations," followed by a festival for the workers and their families. This became the pattern for Labor Day celebrations. Speeches by prominent men and women were introduced later, as more emphasis was placed upon the economic and civil significance of the holiday. Still later, by a resolution of the American Federation of Labor convention of 1909, the Sunday preceding Labor Day was adopted as Labor Sunday and dedicated to the spiritual and educational aspects of the labor movement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labor_Day

Oh for heavens sake, I thought we were celebrating child birth this weekend.

Here is something from the past. Americans, once made a fair wage and had a 40 hour work? week due to these great people but now it is being taken away from them.
[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSbmJb8dHMY [/video]
Then, too, there's Woody's "Ladie's Auxiliary".
(09-02-2011, 07:00 PM)illcommandante Wrote: Then, too, there's Woody's "Lady's Auxilliary".

[Image: labor-day_4.gif]

(giggle)
(09-02-2011, 06:39 PM)Leonard Wrote: Here is something from the past. Americans, once made a fair wage and had a 40 hour work? week due to these great people but now it is being taken away from them.

I still have both of those things. Can you show me anyone who has LOST them?
These anti union Republicans are mostly backward thinking hillbillies. I mean if you dont want to be in a union than don't. But its really none of your business if other people join together to collectively bargain for benefits.

The only reason these fools are anti union is someone on Fox told them it was bad. What a bunch of gullible brainwashed idiots.
(09-02-2011, 07:07 PM)Larry Wrote:
(09-02-2011, 06:39 PM)Leonard Wrote: Here is something from the past. Americans, once made a fair wage and had a 40 hour work? week due to these great people but now it is being taken away from them.

I still have both of those things. Can you show me anyone who has LOST them?

The millions who have lost their good jobs since 2008 and far to many of them are now working less that 40 hours, at barely or non-living wages at Home Depot and Wall Mart and have no heath care.

Sure some people, in special sectors of the economy have lucked out by their choice of careers, but far too many have lost their jobs to outsourcing to cheap labour, lost their homes, retirement and with no jobs being created their hope for themselves and their children.

Even the lower-upper class and the upper-middle class are losing in this economy, only the very wealthy seem to be unaffected.

(09-02-2011, 07:31 PM)cletus1 Wrote: These anti union Republicans are mostly backward thinking hillbillies. I mean if you dont want to be in a union than don't. But its really none of your business if other people join together to collectively bargain for benefits.

The only reason these fools are anti union is someone on Fox told them it was bad. What a bunch of gullible brainwashed idiots.

Some of us didn't need Fox to tell us we don't like unions. I haven't wanted to belong to a union ever and I am 49. Fox wasn't even around 15 years ago. Unions had a real wonderful purpose when they started. Now they are just another political machine.
Back to the spirit in which the OP made this post. I planned to go to a Oregon Ducks BBQ at a friend's tomorrow but the plans just got cancelled.

I do plan to get a new to me motor home this weekend and then spend the rest of the weekend getting it ready for it's initial trip the following weekend.
(09-02-2011, 08:01 PM)Snowlover Wrote: Back to the spirit in which the OP made this post. I planned to go to a Oregon Ducks BBQ at a friend's tomorrow but the plans just got cancelled.

I do plan to get a new to me motor home this weekend and then spend the rest of the weekend getting it ready for it's initial trip the following weekend.

Thank you, Snowlover!
Seriously, I was just pointing out the REASON for the holiday! Confused
How big of motorhome did you get, if I may ask?
It looks like so much fun...all the comforts of home on the road.
What is an OP, by the way?
(09-02-2011, 08:09 PM)Crone Wrote:
(09-02-2011, 08:01 PM)Snowlover Wrote: Back to the spirit in which the OP made this post. I planned to go to a Oregon Ducks BBQ at a friend's tomorrow but the plans just got cancelled.

Thank you, Snowlover!
Seriously, I was just pointing out the REASON for the holiday! Confused
How big of motorhome did you get, if I may ask?
It looks like so much fun...all the comforts of home on the road.
What is an OP, by the way?

OP - Original Post

This one is a 1996 28' Class A with no slide outs. I have a bit of a mental block about driving anything bigger than a 32' when I am pulling my snowmobile trailer. I sold my last one which was a 24' last August because I bought one with a friend and he wanted to buy me out. So I have been motor homeless since June and I don't like it! It is basically a hand shake deal right now. Tomorrow I go to pay for it.
(09-02-2011, 08:16 PM)Snowlover Wrote: OP - Original Post

This one is a 1996 28' Class A with no slide outs. I have a bit of a mental block about driving anything bigger than a 32' when I am pulling my snowmobile trailer. I sold my last one which was a 24' last August because I bought one with a friend and he wanted to buy me out. So I have been motor homeless since June and I don't like it! It is basically a hand shake deal right now. Tomorrow I go to pay for it.

Sounds great. When I'm out driving the highways, I'm amazed at the HUGE motor homes towing a full-sized crew cab 4wd pickup. That must be like 4 or 5 miles per gallon!

28' sounds great...I'd like to see a pic when you get it!
This Snowlover woman goes motor homing and snow machine riding. Woo Hoo!