A Weather Heads Up
RogueWeather.Com
Sunny to partly cloudy skies becomes at least partly cloudy later with areas of smoke. HOT with highs in the upper 90s to low 100s. A chance for afternoon and evening thunderstorms. A Red Flag Warning is in effect for the Cascades of Southern Oregon. A Fire Weather Watch is in effect for the rest of Southwestern Oregon and could be upgraded to a Red Flag Warning later based on thunderstorm development and coverage.
what's a red flag warning?
A Red Flag Warning is a forecast warning issued by the United States National Weather Service to inform area firefighting and land management agencies that conditions are ideal for wildland fire ignition and propagation. After drought conditions, and when humidity is very low, and especially when high or erratic winds which may include lightning are a factor, the Red Flag Warning becomes a critical statement for firefighting agencies, which often alter their staffing and equipment resources dramatically to accommodate the forecast risk. To the public, a Red Flag Warning means high fire danger with increased probability of a quickly spreading vegetation fire in the area within 24 hours.

(wikipedia)
I just commented on this critical fire weather on my Facebook page for RyanWeather.com. It does not look good for firefighters as the Little Butte fire is still not contained and open to extreme growth potential. A strong east wind will not help either with lowering relative humidities on ridge tops. Any lightning strikes from high based cells will pose a challenge to control for firefighters. Lets hope this forecast does not come true.

If anyone is interested in becoming a Facebook fan of my website you can access it at https://www.facebook.com/pages/wwwryanwe...6960440022
(09-07-2011, 03:17 PM)Ryan541 Wrote: I just commented on this critical fire weather on my Facebook page for RyanWeather.com. It does not look good for firefighters as the Little Butte fire is still not contained and open to extreme growth potential. A strong east wind will not help either with lowering relative humidities on ridge tops. Any lightning strikes from high based cells will pose a challenge to control for firefighters. Lets hope this forecast does not come true.

If anyone is interested in becoming a Facebook fan of my website you can access it at https://www.facebook.com/pages/wwwryanwe...6960440022

Ryan, I gave the credit to your site, but I got it from being a fan on Facebook.
I hope it's okay to spread the word!
Thanks for your excellent work!
Actually, it does look good for the firefighters. It's busy work in tough times. And, it's pretty much pointless. The Biscuit Fire cost us a fortune. To save nothing from nothing, To set us up for a bigger one. Forest fire fighting is as idiotic as a drug war.
(09-07-2011, 09:40 PM)illcommandante Wrote: Actually, it does look good for the firefighters. It's busy work in tough times. And, it's pretty much pointless. The Biscuit Fire cost us a fortune. To save nothing from nothing, To set us up for a bigger one. Forest fire fighting is as idiotic as a drug war.

That's what they thought at Yellowstone in 1988. Sad
Ground fires raced the fuel ladder to the forest canopy and became crown fires with flames over 200 feet high.
A natural part of the ecosystem. We need to plan for it. It is not if we have a devastating fire but when.

We've got 100 years of fuel loading . To much suppression activity.
If we'd just go out and mow our yards down to 2 inches, and then pour the salmon's little remaining water over them, our problems would be solved. The little critters can find another area. The deer can move up the hill. Yellowstone was ripe. The Kalmiopsis was overdue. For all the money spent, we accomplish nothing but to spare insurance companies losses. Firefighting is a scam.
I thought the yellowstone fire accompished a rebirth in the park of ecosystems thought long gone.
(09-08-2011, 08:23 AM)bbqboy Wrote: I thought the yellowstone fire accompished a rebirth in the park of ecosystems thought long gone.

You could be right, I don't know.
But, I do remember that thing being left alone and turning into a monstrous conflagration and the National Park Service yelling: "Holy shit!!!!"

BTW..the same warnings are in effect today..chance of thunderstorms this afternoon. Confused
http://articles.sfgate.com/2001-04-15/ne...rest-acres