Check a resume?
Would someone here be willing to do some research on my resume'?

I have been 3 years w/o work for the most part, self employed doing computer repair and web design to fill in the blank areas, (Business is DEAD) and have been looking like mad for work. I keep getting turned down, and I am getting a feeling that I am getting a negative reference somewhere.

We are in a very poor financial situation right now and are always short on our bills. We don't have anything extravagant and have cut our costs literally as far as we can, including a voluntary repo of my car.

I will send the link to my resume to whoever is willing to:

Call my former employers and ask whatever questions are asked that HR people ask.

I am not too concerned with the format of it in terms of critique unless you spot something I don't. Smiling

Have you considered that most HR departments only call to confirm that you worked there and ask if the old employer has anything to add. Most employers won't answer questions about job performance because of lawsuits and many don't believe what they say anyway because they could give a glowing report for an imbicile in an attempt to get rid of them and make them someone elses problem.

Given how many applicants are out there for every job, if you have a gap in employment, your resume is often just tossed. Try not to have any gap's in employment. Drop the month/year of employment to just the year if it help's remove a gap. Make more of your self-employment as a real thriving business instead of something to fill the holes.

I feel sorry for anyone looking for a job right now. It is so tough and it is hard not to start doubting yourself.
(09-08-2011, 06:52 PM)medfordite Wrote: Would someone here be willing to do some research on my resume'?

I have been 3 years w/o work for the most part, self employed doing computer repair and web design to fill in the blank areas, (Business is DEAD) and have been looking like mad for work. I keep getting turned down, and I am getting a feeling that I am getting a negative reference somewhere.

We are in a very poor financial situation right now and are always short on our bills. We don't have anything extravagant and have cut our costs literally as far as we can, including a voluntary repo of my car.

Call my former employers and ask whatever questions are asked that HR people ask.

I am not too concerned with the format of it in terms of critique unless you spot something I don't. Smiling
Have you registered with WorkSource Oregon imatchSkills? They have a resume builder and if you register with them they will send you job notifications for positions that you are qualified for according to your listed skills. I dont know how often you check in here, but I mentioned this to Broadzilla in a thread about her job search. Here is the link.

http://www.worksourceoregon.org/

edit: BTW do you vote Republican? If you do I will nor be able to assist you further.
I am independent in my political affiliation so I don't really sit on either side of any fence.

Worksource, yeah, I am registered there for sure. Smiling

I am fully aware of the whole resumes to job posting ratio. In one city for example, I read online for a part time job, they posted on Craigslist, within 12 hours, they had well over 3500 resume's. So, I know that they don't read everything, and often employ a software program to scan each resume for certain predefined keywords.

I know enough to know as well that if I get an interview, the resume' has done it's job. The point of most interviews is to assess your personality and get to see how well you will interact with other employees and management.

(09-08-2011, 06:52 PM)medfordite Wrote: Would someone here be willing to do some research on my resume'?

I'm wondering about the thought of you sending your resume along with what must be a lot of personal info to people who you do not know. I guess you could leave out your name , address , work history company names etc. But if you did that why couldn't you post the whole thing here?Smiling

As far as I'm concerned you can send it to me and my wife and I could see if anything seems out of place or if you have left something out.
I actually just had a friend ask me to take a look at his resume and I did have some suggestions that he thought were good ideas.

Quote:[quote='medfordite' pid='138326' dateline='1315536483']
I am independent in my political affiliation so I don't really sit on either side of any fence

Well right there's yer problem. You can't commit. Laughing
(09-08-2011, 07:54 PM)tvguy Wrote:
Quote:[quote='medfordite' pid='138326' dateline='1315536483']
I am independent in my political affiliation so I don't really sit on either side of any fence

Well right there's yer problem. You can't commit. Laughing

More like I don't agree 100% with either side, both in my opinion have valid points as well as good ideals. I guess if I had to commit, I would be registered as being in the Constitution Party, although, never have.

Tyguy - link to resume sent in your PM.
You might do better asking TV for his tips on sideline profit making ventures than on how to actually get a job. Smiling
(09-09-2011, 02:38 AM)PonderThis Wrote: You might do better asking TV for his tips on sideline profit making ventures than on how to actually get a job. Smiling

Probably true but my wife does quite a bit of hiren and firen so she looks at them rezumays all the time.

Sorry mefordite but you only got a small portion of what she had to say. She kept telling me all this stuff about your resume so I told her to type it out on my PC.

She did and bumped a wrong key and lost the whole thing. So you only got the condensed versionSmiling
The Job Council has a helpful workshop on tips for resume writing and it's free.
It helped me get a job and I was a stay at home mom for a few years.
Good Luck on your job hunt.