Grants Pass will be featured on TV show.
The Rogue Valley is sure getting some TV time lately!

KDRV

A rescue case in Southern Oregon will be featured in a popular national show called "Confessions: Animal Hoarding."

At the Rogue Valley Humane Society, animals from a rescue case in May are still here and looking for a new home - a recent rescue case that managers at the Humane Society see far too often. Overwhelmed, with 58 cats, 40 dogs, and 3 goats, the owners will now be featured on the national television show, "Confessions: Animal Hoarding", a show that sheds light on this growing illness - an illness that isn't stopping.

The Rogue Valley Humane Society Shelter already has their hands full with other animals coming in from across the county. About 60% of their dogs are from hoarder's homes.

If you're interested in adopting any of the animals, click on Newslinks for more.

http://kdrv.com/news/local/224610
That's a rather amazing statistic, that 60% of dogs at the humane society come from "hoarders" homes. I wonder how many dogs you have to have to be considered a "hoarder" to fit this definition.

It seems to me I've known far more cat hoarders than dog hoarders, and I can't think in my own mind of more than one or two dog owners I've ever known that I'd say might fit that definition. (They might have had perhaps 10.)

After that we'll talk about the association between multiple cat owners and schizophrenia. Smiling
(09-16-2011, 08:12 AM)PonderThis Wrote: That's a rather amazing statistic, that 60% of dogs at the humane society come from "hoarders" homes. I wonder how many dogs you have to have to be considered a "hoarder" to fit this definition.

It seems to me I've known far more cat hoarders than dog hoarders, and I can't think in my own mind of more than one or two dog owners I've ever known that I'd say might fit that definition. (They might have had perhaps 10.)

After that we'll talk about the association between multiple cat owners and schizophrenia. Smiling

I'm not sure they go by numbers but the inability to properly care for the animals. I'd think if someone had too many animals they might get fined for not having a license to operate a kennel. But that's just a guess...

What Is Animal Hoarding?
Animal hoarding is a complex and intricate public health and community issue. Its effects are far-reaching and encompass mental health, animal welfare and public safety concerns.

The following criteria are used to define animal hoarding:
More than the typical number of companion animals
Inability to provide even minimal standards of nutrition, sanitation, shelter and veterinary care, with this neglect often resulting in starvation, illness and death
Denial of the inability to provide this minimum care and the impact of that failure on the animals, the household and human occupants of the dwelling
This definition comes from the Hoarding of Animals Research Consortium, an independent group of academic researchers based in Massachusetts. The full definition and more info can be found at http://www.tufts.edu/vet/cfa/hoarding/index.html.

I don't know if welfare is what's led to the kid hoarders I see. I like The Chinese approach to the problem.
I think that might be one of my neighbors here in Sunny Valley. She had to get rid of a lot of animals before she went in for surgery. She died shortly after surgery while recovering at her brothers.
(09-19-2011, 12:59 PM)chuck white Wrote: I think that might be one of my neighbors here in Sunny Valley. She had to get rid of a lot of animals before she went in for surgery. She died shortly after surgery while recovering at her brothers.

Considering this quote from the original post, "Overwhelmed, with 58 cats, 40 dogs, and 3 goats, the owners will now be featured on the national television show, "Confessions: Animal Hoarding", a show that sheds light on this growing illness - an illness that isn't stopping...", I wonder if they're going to be featured on the show when they're already dead then. That might be kind of a neat trick to see. Smiling
Maybe they filmed before she went in. .....Ever thing about that.