Have You Turned Your Heater On Yet?
(01-11-2014, 06:00 PM)Valuesize Wrote: How much heat does a bong produce? Smiling

Depends on how much you smoke.
(01-11-2014, 06:00 PM)Valuesize Wrote: How much heat does a bong produce? Smiling

Laughing
(01-11-2014, 06:05 PM)chuck white Wrote: There is also petroleum jelly and cotton balls.

Those would probably work if I wanted to set my seats on fire. Laughing
(01-11-2014, 06:21 PM)kadylady Wrote:
(01-11-2014, 06:05 PM)chuck white Wrote: There is also petroleum jelly and cotton balls.

That's what the ashtray is for, who smokers anymoreRazz

OMG that's perfect example of how NOT to make a YouTube video.

IF you want to make a video about how to make a fire starter then don't blab on and on about a bunch of BS that doesn't even pertainLaughingLaughing
(01-11-2014, 06:41 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-11-2014, 06:21 PM)kadylady Wrote:

That's what the ashtray is for, who smokers anymoreRazz

OMG that's perfect example of how NOT to make a YouTube video.

IF you want to make a video about how to make a fire starter then don't blab on and on about a bunch of BS that doesn't even pertainLaughingLaughing

Hey. It DID take the "mystery" out of lighting cotton balls. That's a quote from the video. Smiling

How BIG is your BONG?
(01-11-2014, 07:18 PM)Prospector Wrote:

How BIG is your BONG?

Hey you two, get a room.
(01-11-2014, 01:18 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(01-11-2014, 05:13 AM)PonderThis Wrote:
(01-11-2014, 12:49 AM)chuck white Wrote: Gasoline has 116,090 BTU/ gal
1 BTU is 0.00029307107 kilowatt hours

so a gallon of gas is 34 kilowatt hours.

at 10 cent/kilowatt hour that's $3.40 per gallon.

So I saw $3.23/gallon at town and pump.

This is assuming you don't vent any of the heat outside. (Which I don't recommend)

Wood on the other hand

23,700,000 BTU per cord madrone
http://chimneysweeponline.com/howood.htm

That is 6945 kilowat hours or about $69 dollars worth of electricity.

There is something wrong with your math, because there's far more heat value in a cord of wood than there is in $69 worth of electricity. Everybody would heat with electricity and save money up the butt if you were right here. Plus, I've posted charts here before showing the relative costs of various forms of heating, and wood heating is quite a bit cheaper than heating with electricity according to their charts too. I think you've slipped a digit or something.

EDIT: And, that's what you did. At 10 cents a kilowatt hour, your 6945 kilowatt hours equals $694.50 per cord.

My power is running more like about 20 cents a kilowatt hour, by the time all the extra fees are included. (But, my bill is only $25 a month, too.)

Your right, I move the decimal place one too many.
Thanks for pointing that out. I was a little shocked at the results my self.

But I didn't add in any lose factor from burning wood. How much energy actually leaves the smoke stack.

My wood stove is certified to be 86% efficient.

I posted a chart with all of these figures on a previous thread, and they used an efficiency figure somewhat less than 86%, which made me think my stove might be on the high side of todays modern stoves (and, it's a pretty small one, which might be easier to make efficient? Only guessing here.)
(01-11-2014, 09:19 PM)PonderThis Wrote:
(01-11-2014, 01:18 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(01-11-2014, 05:13 AM)PonderThis Wrote:
(01-11-2014, 12:49 AM)chuck white Wrote: Gasoline has 116,090 BTU/ gal
1 BTU is 0.00029307107 kilowatt hours

so a gallon of gas is 34 kilowatt hours.

at 10 cent/kilowatt hour that's $3.40 per gallon.

So I saw $3.23/gallon at town and pump.

This is assuming you don't vent any of the heat outside. (Which I don't recommend)

Wood on the other hand

23,700,000 BTU per cord madrone
http://chimneysweeponline.com/howood.htm

That is 6945 kilowat hours or about $69 dollars worth of electricity.

There is something wrong with your math, because there's far more heat value in a cord of wood than there is in $69 worth of electricity. Everybody would heat with electricity and save money up the butt if you were right here. Plus, I've posted charts here before showing the relative costs of various forms of heating, and wood heating is quite a bit cheaper than heating with electricity according to their charts too. I think you've slipped a digit or something.

EDIT: And, that's what you did. At 10 cents a kilowatt hour, your 6945 kilowatt hours equals $694.50 per cord.

My power is running more like about 20 cents a kilowatt hour, by the time all the extra fees are included. (But, my bill is only $25 a month, too.)

Your right, I move the decimal place one too many.
Thanks for pointing that out. I was a little shocked at the results my self.

But I didn't add in any lose factor from burning wood. How much energy actually leaves the smoke stack.

My wood stove is certified to be 86% efficient.

I posted a chart with all of these figures on a previous thread, and they used an efficiency figure somewhat less than 86%, which made me think my stove might be on the high side of todays modern stoves (and, it's a pretty small one, which might be easier to make efficient? Only guessing here.)

I bet that 86% efficient rating is it's best and not it's average.I think the type of wood and it's moisture content would be critical.

My pellet stove is rated about the same. But the pellets are all identical and have an exact moisture content.
And opposed to ANY wood stove I lose a lot less heat out of the chimney.

This is why I can't begin to understand how a pellet stove can not be more efficient.
Also an entire 40-pound bag of pellets produces less than a cup of ashes.
I'm pretty sure that efficiency and btu factor is figured at 12% wood moisture. The 86% efficiency is an EPA tested thing, I don't know how much it deviates from that, but I can't really imagine the EPA lets them get away with cherry picking the data, either.

I suspect I don't get much more than a cup worth of ashes for 40 pounds worth of wood either. I clean it out once a week or so and it's only about a shovel full.
(01-11-2014, 10:46 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I'm pretty sure that efficiency and btu factor is figured at 12% wood moisture. The 86% efficiency is an EPA tested thing, I don't know how much it deviates from that, but I can't really imagine the EPA lets them get away with cherry picking the data, either.

I suspect I don't get much more than a cup worth of ashes for 40 pounds worth of wood either. I clean it out once a week or so and it's only about a shovel full.
Quote:but I can't really imagine the EPA lets them get away with cherry picking the data, either

I'm not saying they do but I think that efficiency rating is when everything is perfect. Like the type of wood and the moisture content.

I've emptied the ashes out of my hopper once this year , It only holds a couple gallons or so. I have to remember to check that tomorrow.

I'm not knocking a wood stove. If my house was bigger I would have one to use when it's REALLY cold or just to utilize all of the wood that I end up with for almost nothing.
I just can't understand how a pellet stove with practically no heat being wasted by going up the chimney isn't more efficient than a wood stove that has a TON of heat being wasted.
I realize you think the world revolves more around what you think than on the written certified labels on the back of modern wood stoves.