Have You Turned Your Heater On Yet?
(10-15-2013, 09:04 AM)broadzilla Wrote: Before I sold my house in Oregon, I replaced all the windows...with high-tech, energy-efficient, unbreakable ones. Wish I had those here.
I also added extra insulation in the attic when I had the roof replaced. Put in a new energy efficient heating/cooling system.

Let's put it this way...the people who bought my place are going to reap the benefits.

So did you I'll bet. With out those improvement you most certainly wouldn't have sold it for whatever you got.
Most all home improvements will end in a profit when you sell a home.Smiling
(10-15-2013, 01:28 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-15-2013, 09:04 AM)broadzilla Wrote: Before I sold my house in Oregon, I replaced all the windows...with high-tech, energy-efficient, unbreakable ones. Wish I had those here.
I also added extra insulation in the attic when I had the roof replaced. Put in a new energy efficient heating/cooling system.

Let's put it this way...the people who bought my place are going to reap the benefits.

So did you I'll bet. With out those improvement you most certainly wouldn't have sold it for whatever you got.

Just read in paper that county is selling quite a bit of timber(fire damage).

If I was in the firewood demand business I would be calling Vic Harris if there was any way to purchase a permit to go in and cut some savage timber for firewood (future use). What's the harm..
(10-16-2013, 02:02 PM)Prospector Wrote:

If I was in the firewood demand business I would be calling Vic Harris if there was any way to purchase a permit to go in and cut some savage timber for firewood (future use). What's the harm..

When you get a permit to cut your own wood, is the wood easily accessible? No 4x4.
(10-17-2013, 08:55 AM)kadylady Wrote:
(10-16-2013, 02:02 PM)Prospector Wrote:

When you get a permit to cut your own wood, is the wood easily accessible? No 4x4.

Not sure, but I bet Vic Harris could answer the ?

When I was up north, we did a coop thing with neighbors and friends. Made an outing with ladies packing hearty lunches. Some had trailers, 4x4, block and tackle, etc
All the good wood will be gone and what's left will be on the downhill sides of the road.

(Just joking, I haven't cut wood from a legal firewood cutting area in decades now, but that's how it always seemed!)
My guess would be....that you would need 4x4. When we had that snow last winter, that stayed and stayed, I called every firewood seller in the county and nobody could get in to cut wood. At least that's what I was told.
Well, during the worst of winter, sure. It took a 4x4 to get up my road. Smiling

(P.S. You sound earnest, in cutting my own firewood I have thrown a piece of firewood through my back window, rolled a log down the hill into a pickup driving by (my dog wandered into the road and stopped him, right where it was headed), shoved a log up through the bottom of a trailer, and ruined innumerable chains and other expendables. I am not even sure firewood cutting pays minimum wage, when all is counted in. Despite the potential pitfalls of buying firewood, I generally do, in the spring or early summer generally, when the guys can still get into the woods and when not everybody is buying so you can get a bit better of a deal, and it still has the rest of summer to be drying. That's MY best firewood advice.)
(10-17-2013, 09:29 AM)PonderThis Wrote: Well, during the worst of winter, sure. It took a 4x4 to get up my road. Smiling

I was assuming some woodcutters have 4x4. And if they couldn't get in during snow, I probably wouldn't get in during nice weather. Neutral
I don't have a PU. Tow our utility trailer with my Expedition. Not really a rugged off-road vehicle.
Wood cutters are generally broke ass people, and they're lucky if they have a truck that runs.
(10-17-2013, 09:39 AM)PonderThis Wrote: Wood cutters are generally broke ass people, and they're lucky if they have a truck that runs.

The man who speaks from experience!

Duct tape and bailing wire, huh Smiling
In the old days there were wood cutting areas, lots of them where the wood was decked and the homeowner type wood cutter could drive there and get some wood fairly easily.
It seems those days are mostly gone. As far as needing a 4X4 that totally depends on the elevation ( snow) because normally you can get to most places on some pretty well maintained logging roads. The BLM won't even let people drive on some roads that you would need a 4X4 because it tears up the roads.
I never used a 4X4, I had to chain up a few times.

It's true about most wood being on the downhill side of the mountain roads. If you have the proper gear that's no problem. You need cables and pulleys. You point your truck downhill and use it's weight to pull logs right up on to the road.
I've cut cords of wood with this method by myself in 3 hours , sometimes even less.
(10-17-2013, 09:39 AM)PonderThis Wrote: Wood cutters are generally broke ass people, and they're lucky if they have a truck that runs.

FactBig Grin
Soon my heater will have less of a job to do. Replacing 3 wood doors with insulated steel or fiberglass doors. Dang moisture is making the wood doors swell and contract to where sometimes they seal and sometimes they don't. WTH anyone in this area would use a wood door is beyond me?!
(10-17-2013, 12:42 PM)broadzilla Wrote: Soon my heater will have less of a job to do. Replacing 3 wood doors with insulated steel or fiberglass doors. Dang moisture is making the wood doors swell and contract to where sometimes they seal and sometimes they don't. WTH anyone in this area would use a wood door is beyond me?!

Maybe you need a dehumidifier or a different type , thicker? weather stripping? something, beats me.
(10-17-2013, 03:34 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-17-2013, 12:42 PM)broadzilla Wrote: Soon my heater will have less of a job to do. Replacing 3 wood doors with insulated steel or fiberglass doors. Dang moisture is making the wood doors swell and contract to where sometimes they seal and sometimes they don't. WTH anyone in this area would use a wood door is beyond me?!

Maybe you need a dehumidifier or a different type , thicker? weather stripping? something, beats me.

The doors are quite old and the previous owner tried the weather stripping trick. I'd rather just replace them so I don't have to worry for quite a while. Most longtime residents here have all switched over to steel or fiberglass doors...just hadn't been done in this house yet.
(10-17-2013, 09:29 AM)PonderThis Wrote: Well, during the worst of winter, sure. It took a 4x4 to get up my road. Smiling

(P.S. You sound earnest, in cutting my own firewood I have thrown a piece of firewood through my back window, rolled a log down the hill into a pickup driving by (my dog wandered into the road and stopped him, right where it was headed), shoved a log up through the bottom of a trailer, and ruined innumerable chains and other expendables. I am not even sure firewood cutting pays minimum wage, when all is counted in. Despite the potential pitfalls of buying firewood, I generally do, in the spring or early summer generally, when the guys can still get into the woods and when not everybody is buying so you can get a bit better of a deal, and it still has the rest of summer to be drying. That's MY best firewood advice.)

OK. Twitch You sound dangerous. LOL
I would prefer to buy it, already cut and split. It's a LOT of work. Not to mention all the repairs to your vehicles and equipment. Smiling
(10-17-2013, 12:07 PM)tvguy Wrote: In the old days there were wood cutting areas, lots of them where the wood was decked and the homeowner type wood cutter could drive there and get some wood fairly easily.
It seems those days are mostly gone. As far as needing a 4X4 that totally depends on the elevation ( snow) because normally you can get to most places on some pretty well maintained logging roads. The BLM won't even let people drive on some roads that you would need a 4X4 because it tears up the roads.
I never used a 4X4, I had to chain up a few times.

It's true about most wood being on the downhill side of the mountain roads. If you have the proper gear that's no problem. You need cables and pulleys. You point your truck downhill and use it's weight to pull logs right up on to the road.
I've cut cords of wood with this method by myself in 3 hours , sometimes even less.

I lived in Alturas for a winter. Many years ago. We cut firewood to sell. As I remember, the permit got you a specific piece of land that you could cut from. It was all high desert and easy to get to. Just a bit of a drive. I'm too old to mess with that anymore. I just need the name of a good, honest wood man. Smiling
Quote:I just need the name of a good, honest wood man.

Laughing

When you find one, let everyone know.
(10-17-2013, 05:14 PM)Prospector Wrote:
Quote:I just need the name of a good, honest wood man.

Laughing

When you find one, let everyone know.

LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing
Thus...my dilemma.
(10-17-2013, 04:07 PM)kadylady Wrote:

OK. Twitch You sound dangerous. LOL
I would prefer to buy it, already cut and split. It's a LOT of work. Not to mention all the repairs to your vehicles and equipment. Smiling

It's not him that's dangerous it's the job. I have also broken the back window. We are both fools for not having it covered, protected. I have also hit my truck with log rounds.
I knocked off my entire exhaust and muffler and then ran over it once.
I broke a break line off once and I bent it over with a hammer and beat on it until it sealed and drove home with front breaks only.
I once broke the break line off at the master cylinder and was going down a hill with no breaks and the truck in low granny when the clutch disk blew. I had to drive in to the bank on the uphill side OR crash down a ravine on the other side.
It took several attempts and we were gaining speed until finally a boulder ripped off the left front tire and the axle dug in enough to stop the truck.

We hid the chainsaws and walked out. When I returned the next morning my truck was vandalized, the wood was gone along with my new maul.
The windows were all broken and the head and tail lights, the wires were all ripped out of the engine. The carburetor was beaten and broken.
Add to all that it needed a clutch and new brakes line.
I had it fixed and running in three weeks with no help from anyone other than my wifeLaughing I've always been pretty proud of thatWink