Have You Turned Your Heater On Yet?
Typical weather in Cabo San Lucas in February. Just saying.Smiling

[Image: daily_high_and_low_temperature_in_februa...ture_f.png]
(01-11-2014, 10:06 AM)cletus1 Wrote: Typical weather in Cabo San Lucas in February. Just saying.Smiling

Any particular reason for that date of time vs present?

Cabo is ok...but tends to be a little over sold versus other areas. Guess it's because the "stars" go there. But the ugly factor has grown over the years.
(01-11-2014, 10:06 AM)cletus1 Wrote: Typical weather in Cabo San Lucas in February. Just saying.Smiling

Perfect! Sooooooo looking forward to it!
(01-11-2014, 10:22 AM)Prospector Wrote:

Any particular reason for that date of time vs present?

Cabo is ok...but tends to be a little over sold versus other areas. Guess it's because the "stars" go there. But the ugly factor has grown over the years.

Cuss me and Scrapper are going there in February.
This weather...

...and this place:

[Image: qad8.png]

...makes for a happy happy old broad! Wink Big Grin
This sounds sort of suspicious about you and Clete though. Are your spouses OK with this?
(01-11-2014, 11:47 AM)PonderThis Wrote: This sounds sort of suspicious about you and Clete though. Are your spouses OK with this?

My spouse bought my ticket! And... remember... my spouse keeps an eye on things here. Wink
I would imagine it gets pretty boring for him. Smiling
(01-11-2014, 11:56 AM)PonderThis Wrote: I would imagine it gets pretty boring for him. Smiling

That's an understatement. He does a lot of head shaking and eye rolling.
(01-11-2014, 10:33 AM)Scrapper Wrote: This weather...

...and this place:

...makes for a happy happy old broad! Wink Big Grin

That sounds wonderful!! I haven't been to Cabo in probably 20 years.
(01-11-2014, 12:00 PM)kadylady Wrote: That sounds wonderful!! I haven't been to Cabo in probably 20 years.

It's a first for me! I'm pretty jazzed!
(01-11-2014, 12:03 PM)Scrapper Wrote:
(01-11-2014, 12:00 PM)kadylady Wrote: That sounds wonderful!! I haven't been to Cabo in probably 20 years.

It's a first for me! I'm pretty jazzed!

You'll have a great time. My sister just got back a few days ago.
(01-10-2014, 01:06 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-09-2014, 12:12 PM)tvguy Wrote: I'm pretty sure you would get as much or more heat with tiny electric heater or a small incandescent bulb.

Quote: TIA..... I think it's warmer than an incandescent.

It depends on what wattage.

Quote:It does kick out some heat. And I don't know what you mean by tiny electric heater. How much heat do they put out? I have to admit, when I tried this, I didn't use a metal tray, but a terra cotta one. And actually I got more heat using just one pot rather than one on top of the other. So, scientifically I cannot dispute it works! I think if it was cold but not freezing and it was a very small space like a camper or something, it could make a difference in the comfort of the space.

Well sure it works but like Chuck is saying it costs more that an electric device that puts out the same amount of heat.
It's just math.
If this was actually cheaper than electricity people could do the same thing on a larger scale and save money by doing this instead of heating with electric.But they don't.Smiling

I think it's a cool little way to heat a small space when you don't have any electricity.

It would work in a tent. Or it might be a good idea to carry the components in a vehicle during the winter months.
(01-11-2014, 05:13 AM)PonderThis Wrote:
(01-11-2014, 12:49 AM)chuck white Wrote: Gasoline has 116,090 BTU/ gal
1 BTU is 0.00029307107 kilowatt hours

so a gallon of gas is 34 kilowatt hours.

at 10 cent/kilowatt hour that's $3.40 per gallon.

So I saw $3.23/gallon at town and pump.

This is assuming you don't vent any of the heat outside. (Which I don't recommend)

Wood on the other hand

23,700,000 BTU per cord madrone
http://chimneysweeponline.com/howood.htm

That is 6945 kilowat hours or about $69 dollars worth of electricity.

There is something wrong with your math, because there's far more heat value in a cord of wood than there is in $69 worth of electricity. Everybody would heat with electricity and save money up the butt if you were right here. Plus, I've posted charts here before showing the relative costs of various forms of heating, and wood heating is quite a bit cheaper than heating with electricity according to their charts too. I think you've slipped a digit or something.

EDIT: And, that's what you did. At 10 cents a kilowatt hour, your 6945 kilowatt hours equals $694.50 per cord.

My power is running more like about 20 cents a kilowatt hour, by the time all the extra fees are included. (But, my bill is only $25 a month, too.)

Your right, I move the decimal place one too many.
Thanks for pointing that out. I was a little shocked at the results my self.

But I didn't add in any lose factor from burning wood. How much energy actually leaves the smoke stack.
(01-11-2014, 12:53 PM)kadylady Wrote:
(01-09-2014, 12:12 PM)tvguy Wrote: I'm pretty sure you would get as much or more heat with tiny electric heater or a small incandescent bulb.

Quote:It does kick out some heat. And I don't know what you mean by tiny electric heater. How much heat do they put out? I have to admit, when I tried this, I didn't use a metal tray, but a terra cotta one. And actually I got more heat using just one pot rather than one on top of the other. So, scientifically I cannot dispute it works! I think if it was cold but not freezing and it was a very small space like a camper or something, it could make a difference in the comfort of the space.

Well sure it works but like Chuck is saying it costs more that an electric device that puts out the same amount of heat.
It's just math.
If this was actually cheaper than electricity people could do the same thing on a larger scale and save money by doing this instead of heating with electric.But they don't.Smiling

I think it's a cool little way to heat a small space when you don't have any electricity.

It would work in a tent. Or it might be a good idea to carry the components in a vehicle during the winter months.

Heating small spaces is not such a problem for candles. I found this wax based camping gear when I was looking for BTU values of wax.
http://zenstoves.net/G-Micro.htm

Manufactures Specs

The following specs were available at gattgen.com at the time of this review:

Burner weight 2.1oz - 60g

Stand weight 1.7oz - 48g

Cooling Ring 0.3oz - 10g (for hot climate / Removable)

Burner 1.5dia x 2.25h

Stand 2.75dia x 3.25h

WAX MODE

Fuel Pure Paraffin Wax (Wax Stix, Candle Pieces , Etc)

Burn time full reservoir 30min

Paraffin wax consumption 26g/hr 0.91oz/hr

1,100 btu/hr (wax mode)

Boil cold water (Max 16oz [2 cups, 462mL]) at less than 1 min per oz.
(01-11-2014, 01:18 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(01-11-2014, 05:13 AM)PonderThis Wrote:
(01-11-2014, 12:49 AM)chuck white Wrote: Gasoline has 116,090 BTU/ gal
1 BTU is 0.00029307107 kilowatt hours

so a gallon of gas is 34 kilowatt hours.

at 10 cent/kilowatt hour that's $3.40 per gallon.

So I saw $3.23/gallon at town and pump.

This is assuming you don't vent any of the heat outside. (Which I don't recommend)

Wood on the other hand

23,700,000 BTU per cord madrone
http://chimneysweeponline.com/howood.htm

That is 6945 kilowat hours or about $69 dollars worth of electricity.

There is something wrong with your math, because there's far more heat value in a cord of wood than there is in $69 worth of electricity. Everybody would heat with electricity and save money up the butt if you were right here. Plus, I've posted charts here before showing the relative costs of various forms of heating, and wood heating is quite a bit cheaper than heating with electricity according to their charts too. I think you've slipped a digit or something.

EDIT: And, that's what you did. At 10 cents a kilowatt hour, your 6945 kilowatt hours equals $694.50 per cord.

My power is running more like about 20 cents a kilowatt hour, by the time all the extra fees are included. (But, my bill is only $25 a month, too.)

Your right, I move the decimal place one too many.
Thanks for pointing that out. I was a little shocked at the results my self.

But I didn't add in any lose factor from burning wood. How much energy actually leaves the smoke stack.

Why does it matter?Smiling Electricity is considered to be 100% efficient and sure burning firewood is not even close because so much heat goes out the stack.

People don't care about a loss in efficiency when they are saving money by heating with something less efficient but also less expensive.
(01-11-2014, 01:25 PM)chuck white Wrote:

It's just math.

Heating small spaces is not such a problem for candles. I found this wax based camping gear when I was looking for BTU values of wax.

Manufactures Specs

Stand weight 1.7oz - 48g

Burner 1.5dia x 2.25h

Stand 2.75dia x 3.25h

WAX MODE

1,100 btu/hr (wax mode)

That's cool! It burns on either wax or ethanol?
(01-11-2014, 01:37 PM)kadylady Wrote:
(01-11-2014, 01:25 PM)chuck white Wrote:

It's just math.

Manufactures Specs

Stand weight 1.7oz - 48g

Burner 1.5dia x 2.25h

Stand 2.75dia x 3.25h

WAX MODE

1,100 btu/hr (wax mode)

That's cool! It burns on either wax or ethanol?

It is pretty cool but I searched all over and I can't find out where they sell or how much they cost.

But if you are going to use ethanol I don't think it's any better than the backpacking stove I have that works from propane or white gas. And I got mine on CL for 20 bucksSmiling.....

http://www.rei.com/media/dd/c34853ce-163...a42cb6.jpg
That's just not my bag... at allSmiling To each his ownBig Grin Crowded , commercially . I'm more nature and animal oriented. But I might take the wife there, if she wants to go. I'm officially retired now so I can afford to goBig Grin

(01-11-2014, 02:09 PM)tvguy Wrote: That's just not my bag... at allSmiling To each his ownBig Grin Crowded , commercially . I'm more nature and animal oriented. But I might take the wife there, if she wants to go. I'm officially retired now so I can afford to goBig Grin

We do some primitive camping... love Lake Shasta. Love living with the locals when in Sint Maarten. But some times you just want to be pampered! Razz This is a girls (okay, fine... old broads) trip. Big Grin We're all about having someone serve us adult beverages on the beach or by the pool, spending a day at the spa, shopping, dining out, etc., etc. I'm sure your wife would LOVE it!