Have You Turned Your Heater On Yet?
(09-21-2011, 05:21 PM)TennisMom Wrote: Heater? Heck, we have the air conditioning turned on. We do turn it off at night though, which is lovely. No complaints from me about bright, sunny days when it gets a little warm. The cold, dreary weather will be here soon enough. Meantime, open windows at night mean the sounds of night noises permeate my room at night... Along with the occasional skunk stink in' up the joint... LOL.

It's hot now, but I rode my bike to work this morning, and it was a tad chilly.
Naw, she's still in the shower.
(09-21-2011, 06:38 PM)Wonky Wrote: Naw, she's still in the shower.

Big Grin
I have not touched the thermostat and it was 49 degrees here yesterday morning. Join the Resistance.
55 degrees and sprinkling. Windows open. Fans running. Heater has not been turned on.
Windows open all night...nice crisp 58 in the house this morning...I love it!
I have the heater set for 70 and it is not going on so it must be hotter than that in here.
Heater is on only in the car for the mornings when I take my kids to school. Otherwise, it is OFF for the rest of the day. We live in an Apartment where we get the heat from all the other apartments, so lets just say, during the cooler days, we leave it off. Now, if it gets cool outside with temps hovering below 40 then yeah, we have the heat on in the day and esp. night. Otherwise if it is 50 or above outside, we are just fine. Smiling
I've heard of people like you. I bet you pick a unit surrounded on as many sides as possible, too. Smiling
That was one nice thing about living in a building in NYC. There's a big ol boiler down in the basement with pipes coming out of it...all the apartments have radiators in their rooms, the bathrooms have the hot pipe. If they get it going too hot, you have to open the windows.
It's included in your rent, heat and hot water.
(09-27-2011, 10:42 AM)medfordite Wrote: We live in an Apartment where we get the heat from all the other apartments, so lets just say, during the cooler days, we leave it off.

If you did that with your computer, it would be known as 'piggybacking'. Great idea! Big Grin

(09-27-2011, 12:25 PM)Crone Wrote: That was one nice thing about living in a building in NYC. There's a big ol boiler down in the basement with pipes coming out of it...all the apartments have radiators in their rooms, the bathrooms have the hot pipe. If they get it going too hot, you have to open the windows.
It's included in your rent, heat and hot water.

That used to drive me batty. None of my NY apartments had any cross-ventilation. So when it was hot outside but there was a cool breeze, the apartment stayed hot. I could have left the door to the apartment open inside the building but that wouldn't have been too smart.

When the heat was on too high in the winter, the windows had to be opened even if it was freezing cold outside. Made me nuts.
Next week will probably be a test of people's fortitude with not using the heater. I don't plan to use mine yet but the forecast is for high's to be in the 60's on Monday and Tuesday.

Right now I have closed most of my windows and am only leaving two windows open 24/7.

Oops...does that scream; burglars, come rob me!! Embarrassed
(09-27-2011, 04:33 PM)TennisMom Wrote: That used to drive me batty. None of my NY apartments had any cross-ventilation. So when it was hot outside but there was a cool breeze, the apartment stayed hot. I could have left the door to the apartment open inside the building but that wouldn't have been too smart.

When the heat was on too high in the winter, the windows had to be opened even if it was freezing cold outside. Made me nuts.

We lived in the "B" line...didn't even realize the Bs were the only ones with cross ventilation when we rented it.
I agree, though. It was great having 'free' heat, but when the boiler would break down when it was 10 degrees outside it was miserable.
Not to mention I would feel nervous when considering how many units had space heaters blazing away and their gas ovens cranked up to 500.
I hope I never have to live in an apartment building again. Smiling
It's 48 degrees at my house right now. The low last night was 40. All windows are still open. One fan still running. No heater... yet! I rather enjoy the brisk air. I'll eventually put on a sweater, long britches and some socks. I put of turning the heater on until I'm all bundled up and find that I am still shivering.
(09-28-2011, 10:24 AM)Scrapper Wrote: It's 48 degrees at my house right now. The low last night was 40. All windows are still open. One fan still running. No heater... yet! I rather enjoy the brisk air. I'll eventually put on a sweater, long britches and some socks. I put of turning the heater on until I'm all bundled up and find that I am still shivering.

I made some biscuits this morning, it was a good excuse to have some heat. I left the oven door open after I took the biscuits out, too. Wink
We live under the big trees...it's a very damp cold.
We've had so much sunshine here that the house doesn't get chilly during the day and stays warm in the evening as well (solar gain). The house is cool in the morning but we aren't even thinking about turning on the heat. We have down blankets so don't get cold at night. Once it gets overcast and stays that way for a day or two then the house will need the heat. Until then, an extra sweater will work just fine!

In CT and NY, where winter is serious stuff, we had a wood stove. The house temp was kept at 66 degrees downstairs and 64 degrees upstairs. When the kids took baths, I turned up the upstairs heat to 70 but turned it right back down again when they were done. We wore sweaters, warm socks, had down blankets and sat by the wood stove if things got really cold in the house. That stove was great and we saved a BUNCH of money on home heating oil.
i turned my A/C back on today
Whenever we bake, our apartment temp goes up pretty good. So, in the winter - need some heat? Bake some cookies, pies or dinner. Even using the stove, it can get pretty darn hot in here too. We live in a 650sq foot aprox sized apartment so this place can warm up fast.

A/C has been staying on in the afternoons for sure, mornings, we haven't had the need to heat up the place yet with our heaters (Baseboard yuck!). One thing I have noticed though, we don't have to start the A/C as early now. Smiling

I have my kitchen curtained off completely. That way, when I heat, or air condition, I'm not heating or cooling the kitchen. I can open the curtain if it's a big cooking day and I want to share the heat with the front.