My new Droid, Part 1
The wife and I each have a new toy. I would rather play with a loaded bear trap. Mine sat in the box for a week. Finally I asked her to CHARGE it for me so that I could figure it out. Two minutes later she handed me the FULLY ACTIVATED new phone/computer/stereo/rocket ship. A few seconds later, it rang. Apparently I had a call coming in. The thing is, I didn't know how to answer it. So it finally quit ringing and then it started making other noises. It would seem that I: A)missed a call B)had a voicemail and C)received a text from D)I have no idea who.

So what did I do? I cussed at my wife for awhile. Then I cussed at the phone. Then I cussed at my OLD phone because it was now deactivated. Then I went to work. My new toy was ringing and singing and chirping and burping until 9:59AM when they opened the door at the Verizon store.

Here is the conversation:

Me: My wife activated this phone and I am not ready to use it. I get between 200-300 calls a day and I need to learn, QUICK.

Pimply Faced Dweeb: OK

Me: I guess the first thing that I need is to get my contacts from my old phone and put them on this phone.

PFD: That's easy. I can do that right away.

Me: Great! (hands both phones over)

PFD: (after a few minutes of syncing and doing other geeky stuff) UHHH it's not doing it.
But there is another way.

Me: Have at it.

PFD: We'll just log onto the website and do it there.

Me: Cool

PFD: (after more dicking around) Uh oh! Well, I got your contacts moved but they are not on your contact List. They are in your G-Mail.

Me: I don't have a G-Mail

PFD: Well, you should get one. In the meanwhile, we can just try to move them one at a time.

Me: There are 128 of them. Have fun.

PFD: Well... I can't do them all.

Me: Then switch my old phone back on.

PFD: You will have to call the "Care Center" for that.

Me: I may not be showing any outward signs of anger but I am about to boil over

PFD: (Kinda scared looking) Let me get them on the phone for you.

So I used the old phone until yesterday. Part 2 coming soon

(09-18-2011, 09:10 AM)GoCometsGo Wrote: The wife and I each have a new toy. I would rather play with a loaded bear trap. Mine sat in the box for a week. Finally I asked her to CHARGE it for me so that I could figure it out. Two minutes later she handed me the FULLY ACTIVATED new phone/computer/stereo/rocket ship. A few seconds later, it rang. Apparently I had a call coming in. The thing is, I didn't know how to answer it. So it finally quit ringing and then it started making other noises. It would seem that I: A)missed a call B)had a voicemail and C)received a text from D)I have no idea who.

So what did I do? I cussed at my wife for awhile. Then I cussed at the phone. Then I cussed at my OLD phone because it was now deactivated. Then I went to work. My new toy was ringing and singing and chirping and burping until 9:59AM when they opened the door at the Verizon store.

Here is the conversation:

Me: My wife activated this phone and I am not ready to use it. I get between 200-300 calls a day and I need to learn, QUICK.

Pimply Faced Dweeb: OK

Me: I guess the first thing that I need is to get my contacts from my old phone and put them on this phone.

PFD: That's easy. I can do that right away.

Me: Great! (hands both phones over)

PFD: (after a few minutes of syncing and doing other geeky stuff) UHHH it's not doing it.
But there is another way.

Me: Have at it.

PFD: We'll just log onto the website and do it there.

Me: Cool

PFD: (after more dicking around) Uh oh! Well, I got your contacts moved but they are not on your contact List. They are in your G-Mail.

Me: I don't have a G-Mail

PFD: Well, you should get one. In the meanwhile, we can just try to move them one at a time.

Me: There are 128 of them. Have fun.

PFD: Well... I can't do them all.

Me: Then switch my old phone back on.

PFD: You will have to call the "Care Center" for that.

Me: I may not be showing any outward signs of anger but I am about to boil over

PFD: (Kinda scared looking) Let me get them on the phone for you.

So I used the old phone until yesterday. Part 2 coming soon

I am not a technical dummy (totally) but I refuse to give up my old phone. I don't text nor do I want to, I rarely use it for pictures. I just want a phone! You have just reinforced why I won't change until I have to!
Well hell. I'm not going to tell you folks the rest due to the lack of interest.

Thanks though, SL, :-p
(09-18-2011, 02:05 PM)GoCometsGo Wrote: Well hell. I'm not going to tell you folks the rest due to the lack of interest.

Were we expected to respond?
Heck, it was looked at 29 times... or more, now.
I was just waiting around for Part 2.
Next time you should let us know what your expectations are.
(09-18-2011, 02:10 PM)Scrapper Wrote:
(09-18-2011, 02:05 PM)GoCometsGo Wrote: Well hell. I'm not going to tell you folks the rest due to the lack of interest.

Were we expected to respond?
Heck, it was looked at 29 times... or more, now.
I was just waiting around for Part 2.
Next time you should let us know what your expectations are.

No expectations. It's not the first time that I've started a thread that went nowhere. I only posted again because I implied that there would be more to come. However, I don't much feel like typing the rest if so few are interested.

However, if anyone needs closure... a small amount of begging and maybe some cash donations will bring me back to the keyboard.

I liked the story. I want to know what happened to your wife for throwing you in the deep end when you don't know how to swim. Big Grin
I'm interested too, interested to know why your wife puts up with your dumb ass. And don't tell me she didn't tell you she was buying you a magic phone either. Big Grin
Great story!

We are all tech savvy until "the newest new thing" lands in our lap.

Looking forward to part 2.
Why would a person want people to contact them by phone?