My new Droid, Part 2
Part 2

Saturday AM

I still want to give this toy a chance. I'm not really interested in all of the "apps" but some of them will be very handy at work. So I brace myself for another round of "The Incredible Sulk vs. Pimply Faced Dweeb and head back to Verizon.

Upon entering the store, I am asked to electronically sign in. The sign over the door might as well have said DMV.

Me: How long is the wait?

Different PFD: All of our staff are busy and there are three people in front of you.

Me: Well then, how many people in front of me?

PFD: I just told you, three.

Me: I know, but you gave me that answer when I asked how long the wait was so I thought
maybe by asking how many people were in front of me you might then tell me how long
my wait was... if you follow my logic.

PFD: (giving me the stink eye) Do you want to sign in?

Me: No. I hate this store.

So, I left and went home.

After getting home got onto the Verizon website and decided to try and do things myself. I managed to get my contact list uploaded to their website and now all I have to do is re-activate the Droid. I knew that this was a breeze because it took my wife about 2 minutes to do it other day when I didn't want it done. Now I WANT it done so it should be a snap.

So first of all they want me to back up my contacts to another site... preferably GMAIL... so I open a GMAIL account. Then I tried to copy the contacts to there but it wouldn't take so I skip that step. Then I follow the steps required to activate my phone. I get to the very last prompt and then am told that only the main person on the account, (my daughter) can do that. But my daughter is on her way home from Portland and I know she won't answer the phone because she promised to never use the phone while driving. But, I called her anyway. She answered. So much for that. I explained that I needed her password and whatnot and that was all fine.

Then I log back onto the site under her account but now I don't see my contacts. I see hers. So I sort of wonder if this will work but onward I march into Verizon hell. I attempt several times to activate the phone but it still won't work. Finally, I call the HELP LINE. Surprisingly, they are "experiencing a large volume of calls today" but I hang in there anyhow. I finally get a human and we go through the entire process again.

Me: I just want to activate this Droid.

Her: Well I can help you with that.

Me: I'll bet you money you can't.

Her: HAHA

Me: Anyway, just tell me what to do

Her: Okay, normally we would just do this but our computers crashed today so you will have to dial this other number and they can help you.

Me: Does that mean that I win the bet?

Her: Well, we will get your phone going just dial *228 and follow the prompts.

Me: Okay. (dripping sarcasm) Sounds easy. I am very sure that will work.

Click.

More to come... almost done... taking a break

That's funny, specially the part where you actually thought your daughter wouldn't talk on the cell and drive like you doWink

Now that you know she will anyway maybe you should just buy her a head setSmiling

What infuriates me about my stupid phone is that if I get a voice mail I do NOT get the number of the person who called me and left it??

Also I don't get a missed call message if they left me a voice mail? what's up with that?
It's likely that It's just me that can't figure it outSad
(09-18-2011, 05:37 PM)tvguy Wrote: What infuriates me about my stupid phone is that if I get a voice mail I do NOT get the number of the person who called me and left it??

Also I don't get a missed call message if they left me a voice mail? what's up with that?
The exact same thing happens on my phone. I'm with AT&T but I will go with US Cellular when my contract is up.

Hey GoComets, I feel sorry for the people that work at Verizon that have to deal with you. Wink Why not just have the wife "fix" your phone? Now please continue.Smiling
(09-18-2011, 07:07 PM)cletus1 Wrote:
(09-18-2011, 05:37 PM)tvguy Wrote: What infuriates me about my stupid phone is that if I get a voice mail I do NOT get the number of the person who called me and left it??

The exact same thing happens on my phone. I'm with AT&T but I will go with US Cellular when my contract is up.

Hey GoComets, I feel sorry for the people that work at Verizon that have to deal with you. Wink Why not just have the wife "fix" your phone? Now please continue.Smiling

She couldn't fix a bad hair day... and I'm bald. She only turned my Droid on to torture me. She is doing even worse with hers. I'll finish the saga tomorrow.

I have a droid phone thru Sprint and I love it. I love the apps and the way it works. And Best buy was great (that is where I got my phone) they have helped me every time I have gone in.

(09-19-2011, 04:47 AM)blondemom Wrote: I have a droid phone thru Sprint and I love it. I love the apps and the way it works. And Best buy was great (that is where I got my phone) they have helped me every time I have gone in.

I haven't got far enough yet to find out if I love it.
(09-19-2011, 06:23 AM)GoCometsGo Wrote:
(09-19-2011, 04:47 AM)blondemom Wrote: I have a droid phone thru Sprint and I love it. I love the apps and the way it works. And Best buy was great (that is where I got my phone) they have helped me every time I have gone in.

I haven't got far enough yet to find out if I love it.

Remember the straw and the camel?
This ain't lookin' so good.
But, in for a penny, in for a pound, and I have faith in your ability to beat this thing. In doing so, you may be single, broke, alone, despondent, and half mad, but you're the man Trucker! We are all pulling for you. For as you go...

Looking forward to part 3.

Later Edit. Just spotted part 3.

My faith in you, mankind, technology, telephones, women, service, and truck drives has all been renewed! I breathe easier, feel less tense, and will go about my day with and upbeat attitude.
Now, if I could only learn to use my remote...

I'm looking forward to knowing if you actually LIKE the Droid... after you get it figured out. I'm considering a Droid right now. Trying to decide between the iPhone and the Droid Bionic.

EDIT: Oh... like Wonkman... I realized after posting that there is a Part 3. I'm off to read it now!
I would encourage anybody to consider US Cellular. I have never had a problem with service or support or the phone.