Meet the Stoner Who Has Netflix’s Most-Wanted Twitter Account
LaughingLaughingBlinkConfusedLaughingLaughing

Netflix announced this morning that it's renaming its mail-order DVD service "Qwikster." But it seems to have forgotten to check that the Twitter account @Qwikster was available. It wasn't: An affable stoner named Jason has been using it as a personal account for months. "#that'sSoEmbracing," he says.

When Netflix CEO Reed Hastings sent out an email to Netflix members this morning, they began to complain almost immediately, because this is the internet, and complaining is the National Sport. But what people seem to have overlooked is the joy that Hastings and his company have brought all of us, in the form of Jason Castillo, a.k.a @qwikster.

Castillo hadn't signed on to Twitter since August 16 before today, and for most of the day the most recent couple Tweets were "@kill About tired as shyt n i can't sleep" and "Bored as shyt wanna blaze but at the same time I don't ugh f**k it where's the bowl at spark me up lls." One might be forgiven for thinking that Tweets about insomnia and apathy-driven marijuana smoking were part of a very cutting-edge marketing campaign for Netflix, but Castillo has had the account since April. (A full 50 percent of his Tweets before today used the word "shyt.")

When he signed back into Twitter on Monday afternoon, Castillo was greeted with over 3,000 followers. (As of this post, he's over 7,000.) "Dayum over 3120 follower just cuz some ppl wanna buy my handle 3 ppl have asked but idk who to trust," he Tweeted, before telling his newfound fan base that he'd been stung by a bee and was going to play soccer.

Castillo says he will entertain offers for the account ("Man so much to plan so much deal so much negotiation n I want a plan when I still have part of it n stiL be making bank"), but that he needs to change his Twitter pic first. (Currently, it's a picture of Elmo smoking a joint.) The only comment he's made about Netflix specifically is above: "Dang @netflix got me the follower but the haven't talked about negotiation or interviews #that'sSoEmbracing."
Embracing, indeed.

http://gawker.com/5841931/meet-the-guy-w...er-account
I don't understand Netflix. They were the best thing out there and now all they can do is screw it up.
yep
(09-19-2011, 06:34 PM)Tiamat Wrote: I don't understand Netflix. They were the best thing out there and now all they can do is screw it up.

Mostly because they are trying desperately not to become obsolete and want to be on the right edge of the streaming technology. I used them as a case study in my upper level business class years ago. I had never heard of them then. They are a case study in what to do right. But like most companies, they grew way too fast and when you expand people you lose some control over all the details.
Errrr...ummmm...

Guess no one found the story of the stoner who woke up to having 3000 followers on Twitter very funny, eh?

Laughing Wink Big Grin Unsure Laughing
Guess If I was stoned I might.Laughing
(09-19-2011, 06:58 PM)Crone Wrote: Errrr...ummmm...

Guess no one found the story of the stoner who woke up to having 3000 followers on Twitter very funny, eh?

Actually, I went back and read it and it is quite funny....I didn't read it past the first sentence because I got my email from Netflix aka Quikster today and I figured I knew the rest. My bad!!! RazzLaughing

Should I start a new thread?
(09-19-2011, 07:13 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

Should I start a new thread?

Tiamat, I was laughing so hard when I read the replies I had to go to the bathroom...PLEASE! Carry on! Laughing
Thats why I included all the smilies in my reply!
(09-19-2011, 06:39 PM)Snowlover Wrote:
(09-19-2011, 06:34 PM)Tiamat Wrote: I don't understand Netflix. They were the best thing out there and now all they can do is screw it up.

Mostly because they are trying desperately not to become obsolete and want to be on the right edge of the streaming technology. I used them as a case study in my upper level business class years ago. I had never heard of them then. They are a case study in what to do right. But like most companies, they grew way too fast and when you expand people you lose some control over all the details.

Reed Hastings is a pretty bright guy and my guess is that you are right SL about trying to stay ahead of the curve. I remember when VHS rentals were the big thing. Those that got into it early made a small fortune and those that stayed in it too long lost their shorts.

My guess is that Hastings rode the DVD rental end of things about as far as he felt was safe and streaming is the new deal. He should be alright. Blockbuster is the one that is in big trouble and Red Box is kicking their ass. They too will no doubt fade away as the reliance on volume becomes less and less available to them.

Hastings is no Zuckerberg but he has made a small fortune out of his adventure.

(09-19-2011, 07:26 PM)imaham Wrote:
(09-19-2011, 06:39 PM)Snowlover Wrote:

Reed Hastings is a pretty bright guy and my guess is that you are right SL about trying to stay ahead of the curve. I remember when VHS rentals were the big thing. Those that got into it early made a small fortune and those that stayed in it too long lost their shorts.

My guess is that Hastings rode the DVD rental end of things about as far as he felt was safe and streaming is the new deal. He should be alright. Blockbuster is the one that is in big trouble and Red Box is kicking their ass. They too will no doubt fade away as the reliance on volume becomes less and less available to them.

Hastings is no Zuckerberg but he has made a small fortune out of his adventure.

I don't want to go dig up my project but he has been in on the streaming before it was feasible. He knew it was the wave of the future long before anyone else thought it was going to be possible. If I remember correctly, I did my project in late 2005 although it could have been in 2004.
So, I'm a bit confused. Netflix is losing it's customer base. But to who? Who provides better services?
(09-19-2011, 08:43 PM)Tiamat Wrote: So, I'm a bit confused. Netflix is losing it's customer base. But to who? Who provides better services?

I would say that they have been hurt in a sense by two things Tia. Competition from other companies, particularly Redbox and former customers upset by their new pricing structure and the splitting of the DVD business and the streaming business. There is a lot of confusion about all of it but as SL indicated, he is a bit of a visionary and probably sees more profit in the streaming business.

As to who provides better service it depends on what kind of service you are talking about. When it comes to the largest library of DVD's and convenience of mail service, they have it hands down. However, when it comes to pricing and quick service, Redbox probably takes that one. Unless one watches a lot of movies and just wants to watch the newest releases, it is much faster to just top by the nearest store that has a Redbox and pick it up. Blockbuster is on it's last legs and if they survive at all, it will probably be in the streaming business as they are being hurt by the competition also.

(09-19-2011, 11:38 PM)imaham Wrote: As to who provides better service it depends on what kind of service you are talking about. When it comes to the largest library of DVD's and convenience of mail service, they have it hands down. However, when it comes to pricing and quick service, Redbox probably takes that one. Unless one watches a lot of movies and just wants to watch the newest releases, it is much faster to just top by the nearest store that has a Redbox and pick it up. Blockbuster is on it's last legs and if they survive at all, it will probably be in the streaming business as they are being hurt by the competition also.

I just checked it out today...you can go online, reserve your movie and pick it up at the closest Redbox location. Unless you live way out, or transportation is an issue, Redbox wins, in my opinion.
Then, again, we don't watch movies every day of the week.
I cancelled Netflix when the rates went up and I have no regrets. I'm lovin' Redbox.

(09-19-2011, 11:38 PM)imaham Wrote:
(09-19-2011, 08:43 PM)Tiamat Wrote: So, I'm a bit confused. Netflix is losing it's customer base. But to who? Who provides better services?

I would say that they have been hurt in a sense by two things Tia. Competition from other companies, particularly Redbox and former customers upset by their new pricing structure and the splitting of the DVD business and the streaming business. There is a lot of confusion about all of it but as SL indicated, he is a bit of a visionary and probably sees more profit in the streaming business.

As to who provides better service it depends on what kind of service you are talking about. When it comes to the largest library of DVD's and convenience of mail service, they have it hands down. However, when it comes to pricing and quick service, Redbox probably takes that one. Unless one watches a lot of movies and just wants to watch the newest releases, it is much faster to just top by the nearest store that has a Redbox and pick it up. Blockbuster is on it's last legs and if they survive at all, it will probably be in the streaming business as they are being hurt by the competition also.

I never use RedBox. They usually don't have what I want. Netflix isn't perfect. There are lots of movies they don't carry, and Starz is dropping their contract with them, drying up potentially more. I use the streaming feature but not for the latest hit series. What I would use the streaming feature for, (documentaries, history, science, independents) they don't offer.