What does it say that most of the 10 poorest states are Republican?
This subject sparked quite a lively debate on my favorite political forum. What do you say?

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

As the Republican race for the White House heats up, here's something the GOP can't be too comfortable with:

Most of the 10 poorest states in the country are Republican.

Mississippi is the poorest... followed by Arkansas, Tennessee, West Virginia, Louisiana, Montana, South Carolina, Kentucky, Alabama and North Carolina.

And the list doesn't even include Texas, where Rick Perry is governor and one in five people lives in poverty.

In a piece on CNN.com, Roland Martin writes Republicans expect to win all 10 of these states in 2012, although President Obama won North Carolina by a slim margin in 2008 and West Virginia is usually considered a Democratic state.

Martin points out that despite the red-leanings in these states, you don't hear so much from Republicans about poverty.

In fact the word "poor" has barely come up at the GOP debates thus far. The only exceptions were:

– Rick Santorum discussing welfare reform

– Ron Paul suggesting the U.S. get rid of the minimum wage

– and Mitt Romney using the phrase "energy-poor."

Overall, Republicans believe their economic agenda is the best way to get people back to work - and many in the GOP are quick to blame President Obama for the rise in the poverty rate.

But how about addressing the root causes of poverty more directly - especially when millions of people in these so-called red states are suffering.

The Census Bureau reports a record $46.2 million Americans are living below the poverty line - which translates to about $22,000 a year for a family of four.

Minorities are especially hard hit - with 27% of blacks living in poverty and 26% of Hispanics compared to about 10% of whites.

Here’s my question to you: What does it say that most of the 10 poorest states are Republican?
...and I betcha that the accept the food stamps just like any other red-blooded American...but then they complain that their tax dollars are paying for the program. Smiling
I got Dem relatives in Montana. And, dem relatives of mine are hard core Pubs and racist rats. But, that's not what they tell their pals at Dem Headquarters. They're there on "Mission" for Masons and Klan. They are in effect, spies. And, in effect, should be shot.
(09-23-2011, 12:10 PM)TennisMom Wrote: This subject sparked quite a lively debate on my favorite political forum. What do you say?

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

As the Republican race for the White House heats up, here's something the GOP can't be too comfortable with:

Most of the 10 poorest states in the country are Republican.

Mississippi is the poorest... followed by Arkansas, Tennessee, West Virginia, Louisiana, Montana, South Carolina, Kentucky, Alabama and North Carolina.

And the list doesn't even include Texas, where Rick Perry is governor and one in five people lives in poverty.

In a piece on CNN.com, Roland Martin writes Republicans expect to win all 10 of these states in 2012, although President Obama won North Carolina by a slim margin in 2008 and West Virginia is usually considered a Democratic state.

Martin points out that despite the red-leanings in these states, you don't hear so much from Republicans about poverty.

In fact the word "poor" has barely come up at the GOP debates thus far. The only exceptions were:

– Rick Santorum discussing welfare reform

– Ron Paul suggesting the U.S. get rid of the minimum wage

– and Mitt Romney using the phrase "energy-poor."

Overall, Republicans believe their economic agenda is the best way to get people back to work - and many in the GOP are quick to blame President Obama for the rise in the poverty rate.

But how about addressing the root causes of poverty more directly - especially when millions of people in these so-called red states are suffering.

The Census Bureau reports a record $46.2 million Americans are living below the poverty line - which translates to about $22,000 a year for a family of four.

Minorities are especially hard hit - with 27% of blacks living in poverty and 26% of Hispanics compared to about 10% of whites.

Here’s my question to you: What does it say that most of the 10 poorest states are Republican?

It says the Republicans are stuck in some of our poorest states. Bad luck, all around, I guess. Big Grin
Well, it would give them a strong reason to wish they could control business climates in their own state by becoming less harnessed by Federal Regulations and restrictions.

How y'all like my Republican impersonation?
(09-23-2011, 06:13 PM)Queue Wrote: Well, it would give them a strong reason to wish they could control business climates in their own state by becoming less harnessed by Federal Regulations and restrictions.

Damn fine Billy Bob Que. Come Saturday night, you wanna go opossum huntin"? The grease makes good gravy. And you can use the gravy to lube your truck.

(09-23-2011, 06:31 PM)Wonky Wrote:
(09-23-2011, 06:13 PM)Queue Wrote: Well, it would give them a strong reason to wish they could control business climates in their own state by becoming less harnessed by Federal Regulations and restrictions.

Damn fine Billy Bob Que. Come Saturday night, you wanna go opossum huntin"? The grease makes good gravy. And you can use the gravy to lube your truck.

Better than licking the grease already there.

(09-23-2011, 06:43 PM)Queue Wrote:
(09-23-2011, 06:31 PM)Wonky Wrote:

Better than licking the grease already there.

Well like uncle Festus says, "Any port in a storm". He said that when he came back from Nashville with "little Mable, and 250 pound baton twirler who had a pet snake.

Maybe the title should be "What does is say that most of the 10 poorest states are in the South'?
(09-23-2011, 08:03 PM)imaham Wrote: Maybe the title should be "What does is say that most of the 10 poorest states are in the South'?

"What does is say that most of the 10 poorest states are hot and humid in the summer?" And Republican.....Big Grin
Also interesting that the Governors of these 10 states are equally split 5 to 5 between Republicans and Democrats.
It says, the poor don't vote.
(09-23-2011, 08:45 PM)chuck white Wrote: It says, the poor don't vote.

It does? You mean Acorn is banned from all of those states?

(09-23-2011, 09:13 PM)imaham Wrote:
(09-23-2011, 08:45 PM)chuck white Wrote: It says, the poor don't vote.

It does? You mean Acorn is banned from all of those states?

No, it means those states need Acorn more than ever, because the poor are not voting.
(09-23-2011, 12:16 PM)broadzilla Wrote: ...and I betcha that the accept the food stamps just like any other red-blooded American...but then they complain that their tax dollars are paying for the program. Smiling

It was noted in the discussion that many of the 'red' states depend on federal money (the 'blue' states) for much of their spending. They certainly take in a lot more than they contribute to the Fed.
(09-23-2011, 08:39 PM)imaham Wrote: Also interesting that the Governors of these 10 states are equally split 5 to 5 between Republicans and Democrats.

The real power behind the states is their representation in D.C. Many of these states have senators/congresspersons who voted enthusiastically for outsourcing of jobs (or against the prevention of outsourcing when proposed by democrats) which adversely affected their constituents. Of course, those 'constituents' don't necessarily consist of 'people', rather 'corporations' who were not adversely affected. The puzzle is why voters continue to put people in office who do nothing positive for them. It is a conundrum.

As the man said, "I'll believe a corporation is a person when Texas executes one."
It says that if you vote Republican they will try their darnedest to make all 50 states poor too.
It's an indication that education is of some limited benefit.
Why are most of the blue states on the coasts? Could it be population centers? Maybe they are just smarter? Definately where the cost of living is higher...does that make them more greedy?Rolling Eyes
(09-25-2011, 11:07 AM)TennisMom Wrote:
(09-23-2011, 08:39 PM)imaham Wrote: Also interesting that the Governors of these 10 states are equally split 5 to 5 between Republicans and Democrats.

The real power behind the states is their representation in D.C. Many of these states have senators/congresspersons who voted enthusiastically for outsourcing of jobs ...

The nature of statewide economy would be state resources and state legislature. I'm not sure of your logic here.