Wow! Big Change in Weather! HEADS UP!
More the question is, why can't the National Weather Service figure this out if doofuses like us can?
(09-29-2011, 05:12 PM)PonderThis Wrote: More the question is, why can't the National Weather Service figure this out if doofuses like us can?

BECAUSE THEY WANT YOU TO KNOW HOW IMPORTANT THEY ARE!!!!
(09-29-2011, 05:15 PM)Larry Wrote:
(09-29-2011, 05:12 PM)PonderThis Wrote: More the question is, why can't the National Weather Service figure this out if doofuses like us can?

Good question, so I googled it:

Q14. Why are NWS text products typed in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS?

A14. It is not because we want to scream at you! This practice goes back many, many years and relates to international requirements for message dissemination. Some of our international partners still use low-tech dissemination technology which requires the continued use of ALL CAPS. Since the U.S. is an international member of the World Meteorological Organization (WMO), we follow those guidelines that still exist for the benefit of all nations. That is why TAFs, AIREPs, Marine Forecasts, etc. are typed in ALL CAPS.

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/sew/faq.php#caps
(09-29-2011, 05:18 PM)Green Wrote: Good question, so I googled it:

Q14. Why are NWS text products typed in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS?

A14. It is not because we want to scream at you! This practice goes back many, many years and relates to international requirements for message dissemination. Some of our international partners still use low-tech dissemination technology which requires the continued use of ALL CAPS. Since the U.S. is an international member of the World Meteorological Organization (WMO), we follow those guidelines that still exist for the benefit of all nations. That is why TAFs, AIREPs, Marine Forecasts, etc. are typed in ALL CAPS.

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/sew/faq.php#caps

Love.Love.Love Google.
I don't remember what we did before we had it!
I used to drive special to college libraries to find what I can find from the comfort of home now.
The bees are going nuts lately. Maybe they know a change in the weather is a'comin.
(09-29-2011, 05:36 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I used to drive special to college libraries to find what I can find from the comfort of home now.

I think we may have that in common.
I've been seen doing the same thing..with my legal pad, sharpened No2 pencils and piles of books around me. Laughing Wink
And sometimes writing so quickly I couldn't read it later! Ugh!
(09-29-2011, 05:15 PM)Larry Wrote:

What? I didn't hear you.
(09-29-2011, 07:47 AM)Ryan541 Wrote: As was mentioned earlier the weather is in a transition state and we will see the first taste of a true Winter like front approach the area on Tuesday. I think this one will be a Fire season ending event as precipitation in the valley area could approach 1 inch. My guess is it will be closer to half an inch in the drier pockets.

You ain't alone. I brought up the ODF response on another thread.

You need to give dryer pockets a headline. You live in one. Otherwise, BIG STORM will bring the usual response!

Just kidding Ryan. Please keep in touch with this site. You do it well in my opinion. Better than Uncle anyway.

(09-29-2011, 06:17 PM)Crazylace Wrote: The bees are going nuts lately. Maybe they know a change in the weather is a'comin.

The critters are doing what they do. But they don't forecast. It is good weather to do what they do. They are intelligent enough there.

I liked the info on how to change this all caps font to normal Thanks Green. But how about this? I think this is even easier to read than your conversion because even with the lower case there were not enough breaks or paragraphs.

..HOT AND DRY WEATHER COMES TO AN END BY THE WEEKEND FOLLOWED BY
MODERATE TO HEAVY PRECIPITATION AND MUCH COOLER WEATHER EARLY NEXT WEEK...

HOT AND DRY WEATHER WILL CONTINUE THROUGH THURSDAY WITH
TEMPERATURES AVERAGING BETWEEN 10 AND 15 DEGREES ABOVE NORMAL.

DRY AND SLIGHTLY COOLER WEATHER IS EXPECTED FRIDAY...BUT
TEMPERATURES WILL STILL REMAIN ABOVE NORMAL.

THE WEEKEND WILL BE A TRANSITION PERIOD WHERE WE MOVE FROM A
DRY AND WARM PATTERN TO WET AND COOLER ONE. LOW PRESSURE WILL MOVE UP

FROM THE SOUTHWEST BRINGING CLOUDS AND SCATTERED PRECIPITATION
PRIMARILY WEST OF THE CASCADES SATURDAY WITH RAINFALL AMOUNTS
AROUND A TENTH OF AN INCH. EAST OF THE CASCADES...

SOME SCATTERED PRECIPITATION COULD ALSO DEVELOP...BUT OF BIGGER CONCERN WILL BE MODERATE TO STRONG WINDS...

ESPECIALLY OVER THE HIGHER TERRAIN.

TEMPERATURES SATURDAY WILL BE COOLER FOR MOST LOCATIONS. A BREAK IN
THE WEATHER IS EXPECTED SUNDAY.

THE FIRST BIG CHANGE IN THE WEATHER BEGINS TO UNFOLD SUNDAY NIGHT.
THIS WILL IMPACT ANYONE WITH OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES PLANNED, BUT
ESPECIALLY HUNTERS AND THOSE AT HIGHER ELEVATIONS.

A STRONG COLD FRONT WILL BRING THE FIRST SIGNIFICANT RAINFALL OF THE
SEASON OVER MOST OF THE AREA LATE SUNDAY THROUGH MONDAY.

AT THIS TIME...THE HEAVIEST RAINFALL WILL BE IN SOUTHWEST OREGON, THE COAST RANGE, AND CASCADES WITH SOME LOCATIONS GETTING OVER AN INCH.

COOLER AIR MASS FOLLOWS WITH SNOW LEVELS POTENTIALLY LOWERING TO
AROUND 6500 TO 7000 FEET.

THIS COULD RESULT IN SOME HIGHER ELEVATIONS GETTING THEIR FIRST ACCUMULATING SNOW OF THE SEASON.

A SECOND STORM WILL BE ON THE HEELS OF THE FIRST STARTING MONDAY
NIGHT BRINGING ANOTHER ROUND OF MODERATE TO HEAVY PRECIPITATION
WEST OF THE CASCADES.

MORE STORMS WILL FOLLOW TUESDAY THROUGH THURSDAY NEXT WEEK.

HIGH TEMPERATURES NEXT WEEK WILL BE DRAMATICALLY COOLER COMPARED TO THIS WEEK...AVERAGING 20 TO 30 DEGREES COOLER.
Hey Ryan,

Midweek?

Snow levels?

In early October?
(10-01-2011, 03:30 AM)Queue Wrote: Hey Ryan,

Midweek?

Snow levels?

In early October?

Midweek looks to be very wet with close to an inch of rain possible in the Rogue Valley. Rain could be heavy at times, but my feeling is that the flow is going to be more out of the SW rather than due west leading to a bit less rain than forecast. The flow will change to a more westerly trajectory as the front makes its way onshore and further east. Winds will be an issue in the higher terrain and some of the foothills in the Rogue Valley. Gust could reach around 30-40 mph.

Snow levels appear to climb to around 8500 feet early in the storm on Tuesday then will drop to around 6000 or 5500 feet behind the front as the cold air begins to arrive behind the front. Not much accumulation as the soil temps are still pretty high due to all of the heat and fairly mild overnight temperatures.

Early October looks to be quite active on the weather front with a showery stormy mix of weather. I don't see any kind of ridge of high pressure trying to build over our area until possibly 14 days out. We will just have to wait and see.
(09-30-2011, 10:58 AM)tvguy Wrote: I liked the info on how to change this all caps font to normal Thanks Green. But how about this? I think this is even easier to read than your conversion because even with the lower case there were not enough breaks or paragraphs.

..HOT AND DRY WEATHER COMES TO AN END BY THE WEEKEND FOLLOWED BY
MODERATE TO HEAVY PRECIPITATION AND MUCH COOLER WEATHER EARLY NEXT WEEK...

HOT AND DRY WEATHER WILL CONTINUE THROUGH THURSDAY WITH
TEMPERATURES AVERAGING BETWEEN 10 AND 15 DEGREES ABOVE NORMAL.

You're right, spaces are crucial to reading speed and comprehension. Best of all - no or minimal all caps, lots of space and minimal bolding.

Now here's my question - maybe the weather service needs to use all caps internally because they're dealing with archaic equipment in certain locations - but WHY can't they remove the all caps when they present the info to the public???

I'm thinking if I can figure out how to do it, THEY can figure out how to do it as well. Cool

Too much to ask??