Guns on campus? Heck yes.
Sing it with me "All we are saying, is give violence a chance".
(09-29-2011, 07:19 PM)PonderThis Wrote: Sure, I see hippies with guns all the time. Eek!

Violent activity does not mean guns. Violent, repressive actions by liberals on campuses is all the new rage across the country. Shouting down speakers who are on the right of the spectrum is not only expected, I think they get extra credit points for participating.
(09-29-2011, 07:20 PM)PonderThis Wrote: Sing it with me "All we are saying, is give violence a chance".

YES. That is exactly what the liberal left IS saying. Think Anonymous. Think PETA. Think ELF and EarthFirst.

Looky there. We agree.
They don't use violence. They're using the system against itself, using cleverness and cunning. That's a substantial difference.
(09-29-2011, 07:23 PM)Larry Wrote:
(09-29-2011, 07:19 PM)PonderThis Wrote: Sure, I see hippies with guns all the time. Eek!

Violent activity does not mean guns. Violent, repressive actions by liberals on campuses is all the new rage across the country. Shouting down speakers who are on the right of the spectrum is not only expected, I think they get extra credit points for participating.

OOH, those mean old lefties. You mean they're committing violence with words??? Oh my! Laughing Laughing Laughing
(09-29-2011, 07:26 PM)PonderThis Wrote: They don't use violence. They're using the system against itself, using cleverness and cunning. That's a substantial difference.

LaughingLaughingLaughing Tell that to the people who's life and livelihood has been threatened by them.
http://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/sh...p?tid=6580

SALMON, Idaho (Reuters) - Animal rights activists claimed responsibility on Monday for a fire that caused $100,000 in damage to a Boise-area store that sells fur coats and fireworks, authorities said

Yes here is an example of peaceful protest. Arson is so cunning and innovative .
Guns made America what it is today.
(09-29-2011, 08:30 PM)oregon 67 Wrote: http://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/sh...p?tid=6580

SALMON, Idaho (Reuters) - Animal rights activists claimed responsibility on Monday for a fire that caused $100,000 in damage to a Boise-area store that sells fur coats and fireworks, authorities said

Yes here is an example of peaceful protest. Arson is so cunning and innovative .

I didn't see anybody get killed in it, and that's about as non violent as you can expect for a business that thrives on death.
I thought Sally got banned.

Your using his argument.

If you really wanted to commit suicide Pain pills , beer and carbon monoxide.

Because we can play the what if game all day. What if some of the students at Virginia Tech. had been armed.?
(09-29-2011, 08:33 PM)cletus1 Wrote: Guns made America what it is today.

Thought provoking statement there. They were/are used as a tool to achieve a desired way of life when voices would not be heard, but I can’t say they alone made this Country what it is today. Outside our borders they are used for various reasons and those reasons can be argued depending on your point of view. Inside, gun regulations continue to tighten on citizens while the government has trained and armed themselves gaining more control. IMO our voices, whether left or right, fall on deaf ears and in order to be heard firearms will again be used as a tool. And not just by the angry single gunman.

Guns should not be banished from campus, but the dangerous students should. Seems that each time one of those shootings happens we later hear that the shooter was known to have mental problems or extreme views.
Gotta keep those people with extreme views in line. Smiling
(09-30-2011, 03:30 AM)Simon Peter Wrote:

Thought provoking statement there. They were/are used as a tool to achieve a desired way of life when voices would not be heard, but I can’t say they alone made this Country what it is today. Outside our borders they are used for various reasons and those reasons can be argued depending on your point of view. Inside, gun regulations continue to tighten on citizens while the government has trained and armed themselves gaining more control. IMO our voices, whether left or right, fall on deaf ears and in order to be heard firearms will again be used as a tool. And not just by the angry single gunman.

Guns should not be banished from campus, but the dangerous students should. Seems that each time one of those shootings happens we later hear that the shooter was known to have mental problems or extreme views.
Thought provoking yes, but it is a statement with several meanings. I half expected a follow up question to that ambiguous statement. You know, something like, what is America today? One answer relative to the topic of guns, is that with all our guns, we are not safer. Places with strict gun laws are typically safer than the US. Just thought I would throw that out there.
(09-30-2011, 09:40 AM)cletus1 Wrote:
(09-30-2011, 03:30 AM)Simon Peter Wrote:

Thought provoking yes, but it is a statement with several meanings. I half expected a follow up question to that ambiguous statement. You know, something like, what is America today? One answer relative to the topic of guns, is that with all our guns, we are not safer. Places with strict gun laws are typically safer than the US. Just thought I would throw that out there.

Being unsure of what the statement meant in the post (but leaning toward it implying that guns were the cause of the Countries current disarray), I disagree. The topic of guns is expansive enough without posing "what is America today" which would lead to multiple other questions. To be safer at the price of being more controlled by the government does not meet what I deem a fair trade.
(09-29-2011, 07:01 PM)PonderThis Wrote:
(09-29-2011, 06:54 PM)Larry Wrote:
(09-29-2011, 06:49 PM)PonderThis Wrote: That would make a great argument if it wasn't statistically more likely they'll end up killing a family member or committing suicide with that same gun.

That old argument of yours has been debunked more times on here than I care to remember. Move on.

It's NEVER been debunked, and it can't be, because it's true.

"There were 52,447 deliberate and 23,237 accidental non-fatal gunshot injuries in the United States during 2000.[4] The majority of gun-related deaths in the United States are suicides,[5] with 17,352 (55.6%) of the total 31,224 firearm-related deaths in 2007 due to suicide, while 12,632 (40.5%) were homicide deaths.[6]" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violenc...ted_States

Yes the way you use these statistics has indeed been "debunked".

You somehow think that because the majority of elderly and depressed teenagers use a gun at home to shoot them selves.

That that somehow in your world means that responsible gun owners with a concealed carry permit are a danger on a campus? regardless of Whether allowing guns on a college campus is or isn't a bad idea you introducing this statistic doesn't make sense now anymore than the other times you brought it up.

Quote:Cletus... One answer relative to the topic of guns, is that with all our guns, we are not safer. Places with strict gun laws are typically safer than the US. Just thought I would throw that out there.

And that's based on the total number of deaths by guns in this country compared the their country right? OK since the majority of gun deaths in this country are from suicide can we agree that you and I are not in danger because some old sick guy down the street offed him self?

If we remove the suicide by gun deaths are we still so unsafe compared to these countries who don't allow guns?

And what about gang related shootings? If I live somewhere with zero gang activity or very little why should I use the number of gang shootings to determine how safe I am?

Also what percent of shooting deaths are in crappy high crime part of American cities?

Do you see where I'm going?
Yes. You're rationalizing, without a speck of facts to back them up. And when you're presented with facts, like Wikipedia for example, you trivialize or discount them.

Next thing, you'll be telling us it's all those non whites, or it's big cities, or some other deflection. You'll never admit we're less safe with guns in every household than we'd be without any of them, and that's the absolute, scouts honor truth.
Quote: ='PonderThis' pid='144336' dateline='1317408511']
Yes. You're rationalizing, without a speck of facts to back them up.

How the hell do you figure that? it is indeed a fact that MOST gun deaths are from suicide. So if we compare gun deaths in our country to a country with no guns why should I consider suicide deaths when I determine my safety??

Quote:And when you're presented with facts, like Wikipedia for example, you trivialize or discount them.

Next thing, you'll be telling us it's all those non whites, or it's big cities, or some other deflection.
If ANYONE is not looking at the facts it's YOU. I am not rationalizing at all. You haven't even addressed the points I made.

If we are REALISTICALLY going to talk about how safe I am then it makes total sense to think about where most gun deaths occur and why.

You have to be ignorant to overlook what I said and simply say it's rationalizing.

Quote: You'll never admit we're less safe with guns in every household than we'd be without any of them, and that's the absolute, scouts honor truth.

"we're " how the hell do you figure YOU are less safe with a gun in YOUR house with stats that are mostly about freaking suicide???
If you had a gun are you more likely to kill yourself??? Maybe you are but I'm not.

You want to take a statistic and apply meaning to it that has nothing to do with how safe I AM because I'm not a depressed teenager or a sick old man.

Quote: Ponder... Next thing, you'll be telling us it's all those non whites, or it's big cities, or some other deflection.

Man how freaking dense can a person be?

Yeah I live in an area with very few blacks, very little crack and very little gang activity . So how the fuck is it deflecting when I determine that I'm a LOT less likely to get shot???
Show me some facts, TV. I'm tired of looking things up for you. If you want to spout this total crap, show some figures. I gave you mine. Yes, there are more gun suicides than gun murders. I showed the facts for that.

Compare our violence to any country without guns. Then come back and tell me. Until then, you're just blathering bullshit.