?Private Messages?
(10-02-2011, 09:24 PM)Scrapper Wrote:
(10-02-2011, 09:07 PM)kgasso Wrote: I've never personally used the PM system on forums a whole lot, but I know several people do. What do you all think of maybe having a selectable option to only accept messages from people who you've added to your "buddy list"?

I'll have to see if it's possible for me to code a modification for the software to do this, but if it is... yea or nay?

I like the idea! Gets my vote if it can be done.

I've never figured out what the buddy list is, actually....
(10-02-2011, 09:07 PM)kgasso Wrote: I've never personally used the PM system on forums a whole lot, but I know several people do. What do you all think of maybe having a selectable option to only accept messages from people who you've added to your "buddy list"?

I'll have to see if it's possible for me to code a modification for the software to do this, but if it is... yea or nay?

My problem is that if I can only receive pm's from 'buddies', how do I do I know if they want to PM me? Is it really so hard to ignore and delete?
(10-02-2011, 09:59 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

My problem is that if I can only receive pm's from 'buddies', how do I do I know if they want to PM me? Is it really so hard to ignore and delete?

See highlight. Smiling I agree, self control is key.

I still think posting un returnable PM's is a nice deterrant.

This whole uproar is over exactly 3 forum members who have deliberately abused the pm system, and you've been hearing from 2 of those in this thread, and the 3rd was just banned. 3 people does not warrant all this attention.

By putting JC on "ignore", I took care of the worst and most obnoxious offender I had personal knowledge of, and it sounds like there's only 2 others.

I agree with Tia, if someone wants to send a PM but blocks their own incoming PM's, post those suckers in big red letters publicly. That should take care of this in a hurry. I doubt you'd really ban anybody in a similar situation for long anyway, and it would be great fun. I'm kinda lookin' forward to it, actually. Smiling
(10-02-2011, 05:43 PM)tvguy Wrote: UM lets see here. The problem is that someone can receive a PM from someone who has them blocked?
The problem is..??? Just because someone sends me a PM does not mean I have to read it? does it?

Felt this should be "bumped" at least one more time.

(10-03-2011, 01:18 AM)PonderThis Wrote:

This whole uproar is over exactly 3 forum members who have deliberately abused the pm system, and you've been hearing from 2 of those in this thread, and the 3rd was just banned. 3 people does not warrant all this attention.

By putting JC on "ignore", I took care of the worst and most obnoxious offender I had personal knowledge of, and it sounds like there's only 2 others.

I agree with Tia, if someone wants to send a PM but blocks their own incoming PM's, post those suckers in big red letters publicly. That should take care of this in a hurry. I doubt you'd really ban anybody in a similar situation for long anyway, and it would be great fun. I'm kinda lookin' forward to it, actually. Smiling

And a good example of how the actions of a few will dictate the outcome for the majority. That's not winning Scrapper.
Who got banned? I always miss the good stuff...sigh.
Vis4V, I'm not sure why. I missed the offending posts also.
(10-03-2011, 08:53 AM)BeerMe Wrote: Vis4V, I'm not sure why. I missed the offending posts also.

Maybe it was the contents of the unanswerable pm?
(10-03-2011, 01:18 AM)PonderThis Wrote:

Ponder I can assure you , you are just as offensive as I ahve been and you now continue to be. Just cause you are finishing up a new home that is green doesn't mean you are clean on the inside of your person. How about taking a break of the attacks eh ?Smiling

You ready for me to reveal your pm's to me? I'm fine with publishing them, you know.
I cant stop you but I can report you .Smiling
I didn't think so.
(10-03-2011, 07:19 AM)Wonky Wrote:
(10-02-2011, 05:43 PM)tvguy Wrote: UM lets see here. The problem is that someone can receive a PM from someone who has them blocked?
The problem is..??? Just because someone sends me a PM does not mean I have to read it? does it?

Felt this should be "bumped" at least one more time.

I've sent you an unwanted pm just for dramatic effect. Laughing
All,

The "Only receive private messages from users on my Buddy List" option now exists at User Control Panel -> Options. Once enabled, you must add users you wish to communicate with to your buddy list (also available in the User CP).

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Thanks,

Kam

PS: Admins/Moderators can always send you PM's regardless of any User CP settings, cause we're sneaky like that (also because the warning notifications are based off of PMs). Smiling
That was fast , did you get help from the MyBB collective ?
Interestingly enough, the feature already existed (despite lack of documentation about it). Apparently I just had it disabled. Laughing
(10-03-2011, 09:42 PM)kgasso Wrote: Interestingly enough, the feature already existed (despite lack of documentation about it). Apparently I just had it disabled. Laughing
Heh , I knew something was up ! I checked out the MyBB site awhile back, interesting set up.

(10-03-2011, 09:36 PM)kgasso Wrote: All,

The "Only receive private messages from users on my Buddy List" option now exists at User Control Panel -> Options. Once enabled, you must add users you wish to communicate with to your buddy list (also available in the User CP).

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Thanks,

Kam

PS: Admins/Moderators can always send you PM's regardless of any User CP settings, cause we're sneaky like that (also because the warning notifications are based off of PMs). Smiling

So if I do nothing, I can get emails from anyone?