A Call To Action/Occupy

Tea Party vs Occupy Wall Street - In Pictures

http://www.toddkinsey.com/blog/2011/10/1...n-pictures
(10-09-2011, 09:51 PM)Tiamat Wrote: I'm glad we have people ready to go!

Sad I am so saddened that you see this in a positive light for America. It is a shit stain on us.
I have to say I somewhat agree with Larry on this one. (less the french of course.) Smiling
Oh ...no .....let them do their thing .....I have very good news ! Those people doing what they are doing are sealing their fate and will not be on American Soil much longer if they live long enough to be expatriated. Let them really become what they are becoming so when the Real Change occurs their deeds will follow them and they will be denied mercy.
Biden words echo mine. I still can't see why you villify the Tea Party yet you see OWS as wonderful.

Quote:Vice President Joe Biden today likened the Occupy Wall Street protests to expressions of grassroots frustration by members of the Tea Party.

“Let’s be honest with one another,” Biden told an audience on camera at the Washington Ideas Forum. “What is the core of that protest? The core is: The bargain has been breached. The core is the American people do not think the system is fair, or on the level. That is the core is what you’re seeing with Wall Street.

“There’s a lot in common with the Tea Party,” he said. “The Tea Party started, why? TARP. They thought it was unfair.”

Biden cited Bank of America’s recent decision to impose a $5 monthly fee on some debit card users as an example of new perceived unfairness related to the banking sector that has fueled more popular frustration.

“The middle class folks, these guys with the debit cards, are on their back. And [banks] are going to charge them $5 to use the cards? At minimum, they are totally tone-deaf,” Biden said.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/201...in-common/
(10-10-2011, 07:12 PM)Snowlover Wrote: Biden words echo mine. I still can't see why you villify the Tea Party yet you see OWS as wonderful.

Quote:Vice President Joe Biden today likened the Occupy Wall Street protests to expressions of grassroots frustration by members of the Tea Party.

“Let’s be honest with one another,” Biden told an audience on camera at the Washington Ideas Forum. “What is the core of that protest? The core is: The bargain has been breached. The core is the American people do not think the system is fair, or on the level. That is the core is what you’re seeing with Wall Street.

“There’s a lot in common with the Tea Party,” he said. “The Tea Party started, why? TARP. They thought it was unfair.”

Biden cited Bank of America’s recent decision to impose a $5 monthly fee on some debit card users as an example of new perceived unfairness related to the banking sector that has fueled more popular frustration.

“The middle class folks, these guys with the debit cards, are on their back. And [banks] are going to charge them $5 to use the cards? At minimum, they are totally tone-deaf,” Biden said.

I was thinking about this myself today SL. Not in respect to Biden but how both movements were started by a grass roots effort before being taken over and compromised by outside interests. If one has an open mind, there are a lot of similarities between both movements. Both movements, at their base, want to see changes in this country that gives more power to the people and less to government and big business interests. Both movements have more than their share of nut cases that seem to get all of the press.

One would have to be a fool to not understand that a lot of what we despise is fostered by special interests and lobbyists and the politicians that they are able to sway to their way of thinking. Typically through promises of money for campaigns and luxurious gifts. Corruption abounds.

There is absolutely no reason why large pharmaceutical companies should have the power that they wield over the FDA. There is no reason why large banks should have the power that they wield over so called government regulators. There is no reason why entire nations should be held hostage by big oil interests. There is no reason why insurance companies should have the free rein to raise rates just because they can. There is no reason why our healthcare system, as good as it is, should cost so much.

We elected a lot of these politicians to represent US, not these powerful special interests. They have failed us on so many levels.

(10-10-2011, 06:31 PM)Larry Wrote:
(10-09-2011, 09:51 PM)Tiamat Wrote: I'm glad we have people ready to go!

Sad I am so saddened that you see this in a positive light for America. It is a shit stain on us.

Old pot-bellied white guys screaming at a town hall is a MOVEMENT, but millions of Americans demanding justice is a MOB
(10-10-2011, 07:48 PM)imaham Wrote:
(10-10-2011, 07:12 PM)Snowlover Wrote: Biden words echo mine. I still can't see why you villify the Tea Party yet you see OWS as wonderful.

I was thinking about this myself today SL. Not in respect to Biden but how both movements were started by a grass roots effort before being taken over and compromised by outside interests. If one has an open mind, there are a lot of similarities between both movements. Both movements, at their base, want to see changes in this country that gives more power to the people and less to government and big business interests. Both movements have more than their share of nut cases that seem to get all of the press.

One would have to be a fool to not understand that a lot of what we despise is fostered by special interests and lobbyists and the politicians that they are able to sway to their way of thinking. Typically through promises of money for campaigns and luxurious gifts. Corruption abounds.

There is absolutely no reason why large pharmaceutical companies should have the power that they wield over the FDA. There is no reason why large banks should have the power that they wield over so called government regulators. There is no reason why entire nations should be held hostage by big oil interests. There is no reason why insurance companies should have the free rein to raise rates just because they can. There is no reason why our healthcare system, as good as it is, should cost so much.

We elected a lot of these politicians to represent US, not these powerful special interests. They have failed us on so many levels.

Good stuff, Ham.

(10-10-2011, 07:48 PM)imaham Wrote: Not in respect to Biden but how both movements were started by a grass roots effort before being taken over and compromised by outside interests. If one has an open mind, there are a lot of similarities between both movements. Both movements, at their base, want to see changes in this country that gives more power to the people and less to government and big business interests. Both movements have more than their share of nut cases that seem to get all of the press.

Ditto. But good luck Ham; saying the two have any similarities will get you creamed from both sides ... whether the press, the cops, the this or that, their comparisons will result in the two movements having absolutely nothing in common ... to their understanding.

(10-10-2011, 10:15 PM)Queue Wrote:
(10-10-2011, 07:48 PM)imaham Wrote: Not in respect to Biden but how both movements were started by a grass roots effort before being taken over and compromised by outside interests. If one has an open mind, there are a lot of similarities between both movements. Both movements, at their base, want to see changes in this country that gives more power to the people and less to government and big business interests. Both movements have more than their share of nut cases that seem to get all of the press.

Ditto. But good luck Ham; saying the two have any similarities will get you creamed from both sides ... whether the press, the cops, the this or that, their comparisons will result in the two movements having absolutely nothing in common ... to their understanding.

Boy, ain't that the God's own truth! This polarization is killing us. The old thing about "killing the good looking for the perfect", or however that goes, seems to be proving true.
And, we see it right here at our forum neighborhood. I'm as guilty as most and am going to attempt to modulate and moderate my tone.
I really would like to enjoy the simply "chit-chat" of movies, books, food, gardens, and so on. It make for community I'd guess.
But, I hope I can express my political and social views without suggesting that those with other opinions are butt heads.
And finally, in a perfect world I would simply learn to ignore those who suffer from malady's too advanced to cure.

Que, you are my muse. Today. Tomorrow you will be a butt head. Razz

(10-11-2011, 07:19 AM)Wonky Wrote:
(10-10-2011, 10:15 PM)Queue Wrote:

Boy, ain't that the God's own truth! This polarization is killing us. The old thing about "killing the good looking for the perfect", or however that goes, seems to be proving true.
And, we see it right here at our forum neighborhood. I'm as guilty as most and am going to attempt to modulate and moderate my tone.
I really would like to enjoy the simply "chit-chat" of movies, books, food, gardens, and so on. It make for community I'd guess.
But, I hope I can express my political and social views without suggesting that those with other opinions are butt heads.
And finally, in a perfect world I would simply learn to ignore those who suffer from malady's too advanced to cure.

Que, you are my muse. Today. Tomorrow you will be a butt head. Razz

Wonky, I like your ideas about the toning of our own comments. Kind of a Man in the Mirror concept. Civility starts from within ourselves.

Having said that, don't you think your signature line might be the antithesis of what you preach? I can see where it might be inflammatory to some people.
How about for those that don't like shoe thieves? Smiling

This has been my point since day one of this thread. I chose Biden to quote because he is a Dem. It's not that I disagree with this movement, I disagree with how it is being run. Blame your politicians, protest Congress and the White House. They allow this crap to happen.
(10-10-2011, 08:11 PM)Wonky Wrote:

Good stuff, Ham.

Yes I agree but personally prefer chicken or beef.
[Image: protest_wall_street.jpg]
NYPD Abuse Muppets at Occupy Sesame Street

[Image: muppet-mugshots-bird-ernie-cookie-e1318213764660.png]

http://www.blackline.tv/?p=3776

I am sorry that I stayed silent for so damn long...
Amy Goodman sums it up clearly:

"When forces used to having the ear of the most powerful person on earth whisper their demands in the Oval Office, the president must see a force more powerful outside his window, whether he likes it or not, and say, “If I do that, they will storm the Bastille.” If there’s no one out there, we are all in big trouble."